Three girls hospitalised after inhaling barbecue smoke

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Their relatives said they held the barbecue party indoors because it was hot outside. Smoke from the barbecue later caused five people to faint.

The five were rushed out of the room. Two adults recovered soon but the three girls vomited and had difficulty in breathing so the family called for an ambulance.

So ok everyone lets go inside for a BBQ where the aircon will be ok (shouldn't heat the room up to much, & don't worry about a bit of smoke. We have the aircon )

Woh what's happening surely my cooking isn't that bad, but better get out incase anything worse happens

5 hours ago, johncat1 said:

5 people and not a single brain cell between them .

Apart from the obvious smoke inhalation  the bar b q  would have used up the oxygen in the room . So much for the children's science lessons at school 

What science lessons?

Oh well, not really fair, I know, but wanted to stay in the general mood of the comments.

Edited by hansnl

20 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

Before things got really bad, did it cross their minds to open a window?  But that's just me with my arrogant Western logic.

You don't want to open the window when the A/C is on!!  Would you like some carbon monoxide with that sausage?

• Haha 2

I once remember a Brit family , Husband, wife, 3 kids that lived in our area that all nearly died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning when after a Barbecue on a cold day the "Dad" decided rather than waste the coals and the heat from the BBQ he brought it into the Kitchen to warm the house. It was only because the Mother somehow managed to wake up as they had all passed out in the living room that they survived.

This is how evolution clears the gene pool.

Drown in waist deep water can’t swim anyway
No basic scientific knowledge
Motorist safety of Amulets and “Mai Phen Rai”

When I first saw the butane cans to heat the shabu-Shaba pot I thought is this safe? and Googled. Burning charcoal indoors is as bad as running your car in the garage and taking a nap. Suicidal!

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, johncat1 said:

5 people and not a single brain cell between them .

Apart from the obvious smoke inhalation  the bar b q  would have used up the oxygen in the room . So much for the children's science lessons at school 

"...the bar b q  would have used up the oxygen in the room . So much for the children's science lessons at school".

So much for yours also, the room wasn't sealed, was it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"...the bar b q  would have used up the oxygen in the room . So much for the children's science lessons at school".

The fact that they passed out , suggests that the room was sealed to an extent that there wasnt enough air to breath

It's more than a little bit disheartening how many posters seem to think these tragedies only happen in Thailand, and our loved ones are immune because of some kind of superior education or intellect.

CO poisoning also kills hundreds in the USA and the UK every year.

It’s not really that it uses up the oxygen but the CO binds much more easily to hemoglobin in the lungs as you breath in an environment rapidly building up with Carbon Monoxide.and you suffocate.

The butane cans(if combustion is complete) only give off CO2 and water. I forgot my organic chemistry long ago so had to look it up. We don’t fire up butane hot-pots inside in America but they are Harmless if properly maintained.