Nine dead, 16 hurt by van ploughing over Toronto sidewalk - police

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Sometimes I wish I was Canadian. The suspect was purposely trying to get shot (death by cop). Looks like a Glock in the video, maybe not to the firrst reponders.

Excellent policing and stunning bravery by the Mounties. US cops shoot people all the time for far less threat, the guy already committed multiple homicide.

LOL, that's a Toronto Municipal cop. Yonge & Finch is a high crime  area and the residential areas in the area are euphemistically called ghetto with housing projects and the usual drivebys, gang violence and mayhem. There is significant gun violence. 

The perp here did not have a gun and it was evident. Had he gone for a gun, he would have been shot. However, yes you are right, the  older cop showed discipline and restraint, something  many US  police forces need. 

4 minutes ago, lust said:

I remember when Canada used to be a respected country. 

Welcome to Canada 2.0. Cuckanada. Where isis members are put before their own veterans and senior citizens. 

LOL, the assailant was not a "terrorist". Instead he was a monobrowed dullard who worked in IT and reportedly did not have any friends. He couldn't get a date either. This would suggest that he was not a particularly reassuring person and with a personality not conducive to attracting the attention of women.

3 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

LOL, that's a Toronto Municipal cop. Yonge & Finch is a high crime  area and the residential areas in the area are euphemistically called ghetto with housing projects and the usual drivebys, gang violence and mayhem. There is significant gun violence. 

The perp here did not have a gun and it was evident. Had he gone for a gun, he would have been shot. However, yes you are right, the  older cop showed discipline and restraint, something  many US  police forces need. 

Correct, this is a Toronto cop, not a Mountie. BUT INCORRECT, Yonge and Finch IS NOT all the things you said. Drivebys, gang violence and mayhem are not common on Yonge Street. And it is not a ghetto. Maybe you are thinking of Jane and Finch, 5 miles west.

20 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

LOL, the assailant was not a "terrorist". Instead he was a monobrowed dullard who worked in IT and reportedly did not have any friends. He couldn't get a date either. This would suggest that he was not a particularly reassuring person and with a personality not conducive to attracting the attention of women.

Have you seen his photo?

Troll posts and replies to them have been removed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

He did not have a gun, he was holding probably his wallet.

He finaly threw it on the ground and layed himself down on the pavement .

The cop was cool , stept back and did not want to shoot an unarmed suspect,cool.

The killer , not important , maby related to some IS, saw too many movies , wanted some 

mega attension after his girlfriend left him....who knows .

Better if he was shot ....time and money saving .....

Here the video's

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-van-attack-driver-profile-alek-minassian-1.4632435

2 hours ago, lust said:

Have you seen his photo?

Oh...you can identify terrorists, just by looking at them!?

Ever applied for a job at an anti- terrorism- agency?

They must be all over you, you genius!

Respect to the Canadian Mounties / Police showing restraint and doing their job: bringing a suspect before a judge.
( I think the Officer confronting the driver, considering what had happened was probably a murderous act, would have pulled the trigger without regrets if needed be, but was experienced and well trained enough not to.)

May the victims RIP

Already it doesn't sound politically / religiously motivated. Just sounds like he wanted to die because of an unhappy life and wanted to make a big splash about it. So not killing him may be the beginning of his well deserved punishment.

1 hour ago, lust said:

E7966992-E1F0-4A4E-A85A-250C38B6F2F1.jpeg

The earliest reference to Trudeau uttering this quote is March 15, 2016, when Gavin McInnes made a satirical video attributing some fake quotes to Trudeau:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tpW1m-8yVQ

Unfortunately, there are some people in this world of ours who lack the intellectual capacity to understand satire.

7 hours ago, neeray said:

"What is going on in Canada?" Toronto is my home city. There are nutters everywhere. We don't have many but now and then we do. What stands out here (besides 10 lives needlessly taken, yes, it is now 10) is the single cop take-down of the driver, no shots fired! Compare that to the record of our big neighbour to the south where they shoot first, ask later (or/and bend the truth). "What is going on" is this incident should showcase good police work to the rest of the world (especially our neighbour).

Condolences to the many affected by this nutter.

Perhaps the Police academies in CA could teach your neighbors in the south how to handle similar situations,no doubt in my mind. 

Los Angeles Police Department taught the Canadian way when it comes to using force

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/los-angeles-police-department-taught-the-canadian-way-when-it-comes-to-using-force-1.3025580

Your claim of cops shoot first,ask later(or/bend the truth) isn't for the most part the norm ,your mistaken if you think that this is what all policing is like in the USA. In many cases people who resist and disobey police commands are going to be treated in a different manner.Every incident has different circumstances.

This officer showed a tremendous amount of courage.A real hero

11 hours ago, simple1 said:

As usual members expect immediate info, PC blah, blah; just wait a while....

Currently not identified as Islamist terrorism.

Alek Minassian

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/alek-minassian-driver-van-hit-pedestrians-toronto-canada/

When questioning it should be remembered that black is negative red is positive and some water will give a better contact.

These kinds of mass murder by vehicle attacks have been closely associated with Islamist terrorism in recent years so I think it is perfectly reasonable to suspect that as the motive at first before there is actual specific information. It's just a matter of probabilities. Usually but not always. 

Next ... 

8 hours ago, neeray said:

I watched that video many times. The cop came out from behind the protection of his car only when he was satisfied that the suspect was holding a cell phone, not a gun. Cops are trained to kill, not to maim. Maiming means leaving the suspect capable of doing more harm.

And in answer to another member, our cops are not directed by our PM.

I was trained to stop the threat to myself or others. Never was the word  "kill" or intention to kill mentioned by any of my firearms trainers,  all of whom had fired their weapon in the line of duty.

Others can believe what they like based on their personal experience, heresay or hours of tv viewing.

Should have been put down...permanently. Should still.be put down...no money and time wasted. No costly evaluations. No life in prison on tax payers backs. Put Down. Executed. Can never be reintroduced to society. Can never benefit society in any way. Always a dangerous threat and buden to innocent people and society. Dangerous, murderous psychos are not needed, nor wanted. Should have been eliminated. Still should be eliminated. :sorry:

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Your claim of cops shoot first,ask later(or/bend the truth) isn't for the most part the norm ,your mistaken if you think that this is what all policing is like in the USA. In many cases people who resist and disobey police commands are going to be treated in a different manner.Every incident has different circumstances.

No, it's the norm for black people, not white ones. There are more white people than black ones. Hence this is not the overall norm. So you're correct. You just failed to mention the obvious reason why.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

These kinds of mass murder by vehicle attacks have been closely associated with Islamist terrorism in recent years so I think it is perfectly reasonable to suspect that as the motive at first before there is actual specific information. It's just a matter of probabilities. Usually but not always. 

Next ... 

Except that it took place in Canada, where access to guns is much more difficult. That's why this particular example of the biggest scourge on earth from a terror point of view, white males, instead used a van instead of a gun which is their usual MO.

When is Western society going to finally accept the truth and do something about the angry white men who are causing mayhem?

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Next ... 

So you are apologizing for the outpouring of racist knee jerk hogwash that marked the first 3 pages of this thread. And the strange nomenclature that labels such a barbaric act as not necessarily "terrorism"..it's only terrorism when Muslims do it.
No calls I notice for the instant expulsion of all Armenian Christians, the perp's heritage.

I don't think the guy would have done this without the Islamic example. Like cars ploughing into people wasn't a big problem 10 years ago. Now, it's a big problem, bigger than the gun debate in the US. You can solve that (the gun debate) by legislation, this you can't solve.

3 hours ago, nausea said:

I don't think the guy would have done this without the Islamic example. Like cars ploughing into people wasn't a big problem 10 years ago. Now, it's a big problem, bigger than the gun debate in the US. You can solve that (the gun debate) by legislation, this you can't solve.

I agree that if it were not for the example of Islamist terrorists, this person would have probably found some other way of venting his frustrations, such as going on a rampage with a knife (example) which would probably have resulted in fewer deaths and injuries.

As for calling vehicular attacks 'a bigger problem than the gun debate in the US' you must be joking!

CEP has documented at least 36 vehicular terrorist attacks since 2006, collectively resulting in the deaths of at least 196 people and the injury of at least 1,050 others.

(source: counterextremism.com)

So far in 2018 alone, in the USA there have been 17,562 reported shooting incidents, resulting in 4.432 deaths and 7,772 injuries; these figures do not include suicides or attempted suicides. (source: Gun Violence Archive)

8 hours ago, riclag said:

Perhaps the Police academies in CA could teach your neighbors in the south how to handle similar situations,no doubt in my mind. 

Los Angeles Police Department taught the Canadian way when it comes to using force

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/los-angeles-police-department-taught-the-canadian-way-when-it-comes-to-using-force-1.3025580

That he is and his name is Const. Ken Lam. 

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Next ... 

What is perfectly reasonable is to wait for information from the police and/or other authorities rather than jumping to false conclusions based upon one's prejudices.

That the police prefer to establish facts rather than release unfounded speculations to the media is anathema to some people, true; but not to reasonable ones.

That the police prefer to confirm a suspects identity before releasing it is anathema to some people, true; but not to reasonable ones.

That the assumption of innocence means that a suspect's identity wont usually be released by the police (unless required to be in order to assist in the suspect's location and apprehension) is anathema to some people, true; but not to reasonable ones.

Archived