Car insurance

If you go into your dealer they will give you a list of insurers. My one has just run out, Toyo sent me a list of 5 prior to it doing so. I stuck with IOE although the most expensive they use the best repair people. I cut down on their price by some 5.600bt insuring it owner driver. I know not always possible but in my case it was. 

Edited by fredob43

6 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

If you go into your dealer they will give you a list of insurers. My one has just run out, Toyo sent me a list of 5 prior to it doing so. I stuck with IOE although the most expensive they use the best repair people. I cut down on their price by some 5.600bt insuring it owner driver. I know not always possible but in my case it was. 

Does a dealer get a "cut"....?....I reckon they do...

A repair shop is only as good as the guys with the tools...Known reputation...

Thanks fredob43, but I don’t trust the dealer, hence my decision to go elsewhere.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Does a dealer get a "cut"....?....I reckon they do...

A repair shop is only as good as the guys with the tools...Known reputation...

I did check and the price from IOE was the same price as that from dealer.

So used dealer Toyo as they are just up the road from me. If they get a cut I don't know, but suspect so, at least it comes out of the Insurance company's money and not mine.

Oh also had no forms to fill out just had the show my Thai licence. Agro none.

Edited by fredob43

17 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I did check and the price from IOE was the same price as that from dealer.

So used dealer Toyo as they are just up the road from me. If they get a cut I don't know, but suspect so, at least it comes out of the Insurance company's money and not mine.

Oh also had no forms to fill out just had the show my Thai licence. Agro none.

The insurance agents at car dealerships are super lazy.  Whilst you may of paid the same as going direct with a particular insurer it sounds like they did not shop around - thats an easy 15%-20% commission for zero work - the idea of giving them the business is they do the work not make you run around for quotes. When I told the dealership girl that the renewal quote after 1st year was expensive and I could like they get better elsewhere her response was 'okay, okay, you tell me which insurer you want to use and I can give you quote' err <deleted>. Needless to say another agent was chosen who found a great price with an alternative insurer without me hand holding and unhappy lazy socks lost the business.  tl;dr after first year find an alternative insurer agent 

1 minute ago, mekko said:

The insurance agents at car dealerships are super lazy.  Whilst you may of paid the same as going direct with a particular insurer it sounds like they did not shop around - thats an easy 15%-20% commission for zero work - the idea of giving them the business is they do the work not make you run around for quotes. When I told the dealership girl that the renewal quote after 1st year was expensive and I could like they get better elsewhere her response was 'okay, okay, you tell me which insurer you want to use and I can give you quote' err <deleted>. Needless to say another agent was chosen who found a great price with an alternative insurer without me hand holding and unhappy lazy socks lost the business.  tl;dr after first year find an alternative insurer agent 

As I said Toyo sent me 5 insurance companies to choose from. Including each ones price.

They had put me with my old company IOE for the free 1 year one. Used IOE for insurance on my previous Lump as they have the best repair shop in my district, so just went with them again. Your place might not shop around but my local Toyo does.

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

As I said Toyo sent me 5 insurance companies to choose from. Including each ones price.

They had put me with my old company IOE for the free 1 year one. Used IOE for insurance on my previous Lump as they have the best repair shop in my district, so just went with them again. Your place might not shop around but my local Toyo does.

Really......

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Sorry I misunderstood, I didn't' realize they had priced each of them. 

3 minutes ago, mekko said:

Sorry I misunderstood, I didn't' realize they had priced each of them. 

There was a vast difference between the biggest quote and the lowest one some 8th bt but still went with in my estimation the best company.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

I didn't question you...If I did it would have had a ...?....Thingy

The word Really is a question in itself. If I remember correctly you questioned me before about Full Syn oil price I obtained from Toyo. I had to put in my receipt to prove it and you still didn't believe me till you looked it up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

The word Really is a question in itself. If I remember correctly you questioned me before about Full Syn oil price I obtained from Toyo. I had to put in my receipt to prove it and you still didn't believe me till you looked it up. 

Really...

Fred, now I do not want to go into English grammar but "really" in a down tone means accepting, "really" in an up tone means a question with a ? thingy...

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Really...

Fred, now I do not want to go into English grammar but "really" in a down tone means accepting, "really" in an up tone means a question with a ? thingy...

Sorry but how do I know with typed words what tone your using. Better just not to put it in.

40 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Oh, really...

So we have yet another S/A. I thought you would have been playing with your Lego set. Then again as you seem to be a jumped up Self Appointed Mod it might be a tad to difficult for you to grasp.

10 hours ago, fredob43 said:

So we have yet another S/A. I thought you would have been playing with your Lego set. Then again as you seem to be a jumped up Self Appointed Mod it might be a tad to difficult for you to grasp.

Sounds like you just stood on one of my Lego's.

Really...

Edited by NanLaew

5 minutes ago, faraday said:

Meccano.... lovely stuff.

I could never bend the red metal properly so it fitted as the bonnet - not hood - correctly.

Happy times, eh Trans?

:smile:

Thinking back I reckon the Meccano set may have put me on the path to tinkering with mechanical stuff. I wonder if today's kids do the same or is it just looking at an iPhone whilst eating doughnuts ....bored.gif.3536f6134a9c6282cc227ca110ba307c.gif..

...(We never had doughnuts except in the school tuck shop)..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Update...Thanks for insurance assistance thus far. Am soon to select insurer, but before doing so does anyone know if you must hold a Thai drivers license to get car insurance?

That is a question you MUST ask....I had to supply a printout of my Thai license...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Update...Thanks for insurance assistance thus far. Am soon to select insurer, but before doing so does anyone know if you must hold a Thai drivers license to get car insurance?

Yes, & passport copy, as well as car owner book.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, faraday said:

Yes, & passport copy, as well as car owner book.

Not correct.

The owner of a car can take out insurance, and to own a car DL is not required.

Not correct.

The owner of a car can take out insurance, and to own a car DL is not required.

My insurance broker says that I must get a Thai drivers license if I want to remain insured for the next 12 months.

Can you please provide an insurers name for me that doesn’t require me to have a Thai license?

16 minutes ago, Gregster said:

My insurance broker says that I must get a Thai drivers license if I want to remain insured for the next 12 months.

Can you please provide an insurers name for me that doesn’t require me to have a Thai license?

Why not just get a Thai licence ? - its quite a simple process. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gregster said:

Nonsense, the car is insured here. Maybe look at an insurance policy without named driver, which is the standard here.