Serious price increase on cheese in big C

Rc2702

20 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"...any stock available in Thailand has probably been on the shelves or in a warehouse / in storage for rather a long time".

Garbage, why do people like you post such crap? 

I got some from Tops, Sukhumvit, last night, packed on date is 27/3/18, best before 22/12/18, nothing unacceptable about those dates. B199 per pack, Vintage and there was plenty of it.

What I posted was not crap at all.  In November last year Mainland Vintage went out of stock across New Zealand with notices in supermarkets posted saying it would be available in July 2018.  It is still not available at supermarkets in New Zealand as of this morning.  I was in the local supermarket 3 hours ago and still no sign of it.  I can only guess that Fonterra (the company that makes Mainland brand cheeses) is putting more emphasis on the international market than the domestic market. 

14 hours ago, HHTel said:

But that is processed cheddar, what I'd call 'plastic cheese'!

Only you real cheese lover know.  Some of the packages being mentioned here I don't think they can make the trip here if there isn't some type of process?

3 hours ago, mstevens said:

What I posted was not crap at all.  In November last year Mainland Vintage went out of stock across New Zealand with notices in supermarkets posted saying it would be available in July 2018.  It is still not available at supermarkets in New Zealand as of this morning.  I was in the local supermarket 3 hours ago and still no sign of it.  I can only guess that Fonterra (the company that makes Mainland brand cheeses) is putting more emphasis on the international market than the domestic market. 

Yes, it was crap.

I was, obviously, specifically referring to the part of your comment that I quoted and that was claiming that any stock here must have been on the shelves for a long time (or words to that effect) and the implication was that it may not have been fresh stock or up to standard.  That was crap as confirmed by my own purchase a couple of days ago.

6 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

No its not, They haven't bought it either. They are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

I buy it because it's cheap and fine for cooking.  Yes it's processed.  Does it crumble --- no.  Does it bend ----- yes just like rubber does!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 10:38 AM, possum1931 said:

I have noticed recently that Big C have been going a bit daft with some of their prices, ie cans of baked beans.

LOL> there's only so much people will pay for baked beans. I don't bother unless they are on special. It's not a food I must have.

11 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> there's only so much people will pay for baked beans. I don't bother unless they are on special. It's not a food I must have.

It is on the list as one of the five portions of veg per day. As I only eat western food, on

most occasions I have beans or peas with it.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

It is on the list as one of the five portions of veg per day. As I only eat western food, on

most occasions I have beans or peas with it.

I hear you... I hardly ever eat Thai food myself. I usually have a can of baked beans in the pantry, along with frozen NZ peas and broad beans in the freezer. ?

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tropo said:

I hear you... I hardly ever eat Thai food myself. I usually have a can of baked beans in the pantry, along with frozen NZ peas and broad beans in the freezer. ?

I like to add a large can of baked beans to beef mince when I cook mince and mash. I see they are now selling an English recipe version in Big C. Mixed in I doubt I'd notice the difference, but on toast or accompanying roast chicken I suppose I might.

• 2 weeks later...

My local Tesco, a mid-size branch rather than the huge supermarket or 24 local places, is now selling Mainline Tasty and Vintage at 146 baht, discounted from 209. The best by date is December and the price label says the sale price is from now until July next year. My wife says it might be because of a recent health warning about trans fat

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 10:54 AM, Just Weird said:

Yes, it was crap.

I was, obviously, specifically referring to the part of your comment that I quoted and that was claiming that any stock here must have been on the shelves for a long time (or words to that effect) and the implication was that it may not have been fresh stock or up to standard.  That was crap as confirmed by my own purchase a couple of days ago.

It's all kicking off again on TVF.......this time it's cheese 555555

Although I haven't eaten cheese for years since becoming a vegan I do still look at the shelves.

I live in a small market town south of Khon Kaen.

Although not a "real" cheese Allowrie Cheddar slices 6 pack the local small BigC has it priced at 79 baht and the local 7/11 at 65 baht.

The more I check BigC prices against 7/11 the more I notice how much dearer BigC is.

If one is lucky enough to have real 'local' shops then one can save 10 - 20 baht on 30 - 100 baht items even between local shops.

On 7/2/2018 at 8:32 AM, LomSak27 said:

The 2 kilo chunks used to last, say 2 months(?) I did not have much in the fridge back then so not an issue.

Now days, my Makro sells half chunks or 1 kilo amounts, that is for basic cheddar (they sell a number of other cheeses)  I cut off some slices to put in a salad this weekend. I'm getting down there, need to buy another in a week, say. I mention this because other Makros still sell the old 2 Kilo chunks, and no half hunks, according to friends.

Makro also sell some American grated cheese but that it in a 900 gram pack. Sneaky.

It tastes OK though.

I used to buy the 2 kg blocks, cut them up to around 200/250 grams and bung the rest in the freezer. They still tasted OK when thawed out.

On 7/2/2018 at 11:19 AM, LomSak27 said:

This is dating me ... I think you get a guest number first - save your receipts. If you buy over 1500 Baht in a month, you get a card - Good God that was from 9 years ago so .... better check what they do now.

Depends on what you eat .... and where you live, heh, ... I shop at makro for; olive oil, pasta, spices in quantity. meats both fresh or frozen. and cheese obviously, plus a few odds and ends ...  ..... if you make food yourself it is good, if you are mainly buying take out, not so much. I don't know if price wise it is or isn't and advantage but they stock things that the other stores do not .... or a larger selection of ... so for me it is a great place.

Today is my Thai day. Going to pick up CowKaMu and quitiao (sp?) bed - uh duck noodles at the local, Its not like I cook everyday, but I like to have Western food at least 2 days a week, its a good change of pace and the G Friend likes pasta too, so

I have had a Makro card for years and I use it mainly for bulk items. Over in Khampaeng Phet stuff like olive oil is cheaper than BigC and cheaper than Tops. They also have fruit and potatoes cheaper than BigC.

I make a lot of my own western food including ham and sausages but the smoked bacon off cuts in Makro are good value. I also buy cheese at Makro. Their alcohol selection is not as good as BigC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have had a Makro card for years and I use it mainly for bulk items. Over in Khampaeng Phet stuff like olive oil is cheaper than BigC and cheaper than Tops. They also have fruit and potatoes cheaper than BigC.

I make a lot of my own western food including ham and sausages but the smoked bacon off cuts in Makro are good value. I also buy cheese at Makro. Their alcohol selection is not as good as BigC.

The alcohol selection is non-existent at Makro in Kalasin as they're opposite a uni. I suppose asking to see ID is far too logical for them so they ban sales for everyone. Meanwhile, a 7-11 very close by sells alcohol. This is a very weird country.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomas557 said:

It's not about them banning, they are not allowed to stock alcohol within 400 meter of a school

So why is a 7-11 even closer to the uni allowed to sell? The 7-11 is directly opposite the uni while Makro is a couple of hundred metres away, but their excuse for not selling was the uni being there. As far as I am aware the law banning the sale was proposed but never actually put in place. Or perhaps as is usual in Thailand it is only selectively imposed.

Slightly off topic but there is a 20 cheese buffet every sunday at

L Auberege restaurant on Pratumnak hill near 7/11 / Family mart abutting Soi 4. A great chance to try 20 cheeses of the world with wine and cold cuts.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2018 at 10:00 PM, balo said:

I'm thinking about all that trans fat in cheese, can't be good for your health, but anything in moderation I guess.

I went into Villa Mart on Monday day, not a frequent shopper there at all, and noticed some Haloumi cheese from Cyprus, 250 grams for 250 baht, said to the Mrs, now that cut into some nice thin long pieces grilled on the pan with a side dish of boiled spinach lightly covered with some virgin olive oil and lemon would go down well with a cold beer for dinner, she said the cheese is awfully expensive for the size and pushed on with the trolley, yes I said, your right.

My father being Cyprian used to grill it on the pan all the time, and of course I couldn't let the opportunity pass me, so naturally I went back when she looking at something else and at the checkout counter when the Haloumi came out of the trolly and onto the counter, she said, how did that get in there, I smiled and said one in a blue moon my dear, one in a blue moon, with her reply being as long as one in a blue moon, it's ok, with me giving her that wide smile of mine, the girl knows me well enough to know I like all types and not particularly cheese 555.

Come dinner time she called out, come and get it, like Ma from Ma & Pa Kettle used to holler, I looked at the grilled Haloumi and said, OMG, did you grill it all, she smiled and said of course, you did say cut into some nice pieces, and 3 is all I could manage, don't choke on it now, my pen rai tiruk I said, only ate 2 as I saved one for her, she was reluctant to have it, but I won in the end, saying one in a blue moon honey, one in a blue moon, with her saying after trying it, when are we going back for some more.

See you at Villa Mart Monday 555

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 7:00 PM, balo said:

I'm thinking about all that trans fat in cheese, can't be good for your health, but anything in moderation I guess.

https://www.dairygoodness.ca/good-health/dairy-facts-fallacies/the-facts-on-trans-fats

It's natural occurring and an excellent food source as are most dairy products. Hydrogenated industrial fats are the dangerous fats.