Very disappointing visit to Pattaya.

thaibeachlovers

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Some good comments but I am surprised by the coffee.

CM has several coffee plantations

Yes I can take that back , but as always in Thailand you need to look for it , I followed Tripadvisor recommendations in CM and the coffee there was really nice.  

In Pattaya I have lived for more than 4 years so I already know about the best coffee shops.  

26 minutes ago, balo said:

Nonsense , I am a health freak myself  , but I hate chilly and spicy food.   I can only eat 20% of the Thai food offered to me .  

In Pattaya we have several nice western places , that offer healthy western dishes. More healthy than Thais who eat all that fried shit.  

I won't eat spicy Thai food either, but plenty of non spicy ASIAN food on offer, which is why I never specified THAI food.

I had a most enjoyable meal of sweet and sour with rice at a local restaurant off W S. So good I went back again for the same thing. Vege spring rolls, great; fried rice, yum.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, balo said:

Since I have lived over a longer period at both places , I can compare . 

That gives me enough reason to comment .

I lived in CM for 12 months , I was out on my bicycle daily . 

I am not a sex expat , I work as a digital nomad .  I love Pattaya for it's variety , its unique in Thailand.  

There is an abundance of Italian , French , Japanese and various other restaurants in CM 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moontang said:

Have you considered <deleted> a 711 girl, or better yet, a real Dairy Queen?  Saw them driving motorbikes, so they                                                   must be old enough.  Hate tattoos, like me?  the best game in town.

Just me, but I prefer someone that will still be there when I wake up in the morning. so that excludes almost every young and pretty princess.

I also prefer those a bit less DDG and older, as they tend to try harder.

Tats do seem to be a problem nowadays though. So many otherwise pretty gurls are well inked up. Puts me off straight away.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, balo said:

Yes I can take that back , but as always in Thailand you need to look for it , I followed Tripadvisor recommendations in CM and the coffee there was really nice.  

In Pattaya I have lived for more than 4 years so I already know about the best coffee shops.  

Serious question. If people are serious about coffee, why don't they make their own, rather than paying extra for someone else to make it? If I want a proper big breakfast, I make my own, as the bought version is never as good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I complained about being extorted for a baht bus ride, not the amount. It's a normal amount in Chiang Mai for that distance.

Yes, Pattaya is very expensive now, but things haven't got better to justify the cost. In fact many things have got worse. Unless people enjoy paying too much for substandard goods and services, I don't see what your point is.

Try a taxi / tuktuk in Phuket, then you will know a new meaning of expensive. 

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Serious question. If people are serious about coffee, why don't they make their own, rather than paying extra for someone else to make it? If I want a proper big breakfast, I make my own, as the bought version is never as good.

Not sure about Balo.  I make my own every morning, but get out everyday for an afternoon coffee. Some people and girl watching and like to try different places.  Better for me then hitting up a bar.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Are you upset that the OP was disappointed with Pattaya , so you felt the need to write about how much better Pattaya is than CM ?

Are you upset that someone likes Pattaya more than CM?

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Serious question. If people are serious about coffee, why don't they make their own, rather than paying extra for someone else to make it?

Hey , I own an espresso machine with automatic grinder!   I know my coffee! 

Every morning I grind and enjoy a nice coffee, but it doesn't mean I do not buy coffee and support the Thai economy !   But I do not visit Starbucks normally , many good coffee places in town if you know where to go . 

You sound like a cheap charlie to me. Maybe I spend around 400 baht per week on coffee , so why should I be worried?  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

OP just sounds like a bitter cheap Charlie who can't afford Pattaya anymore.

I wouldn't have expected anything different from you. Do you enjoy posting flames?

If I couldn't afford 5,000 baht a month for a room, I couldn't afford to live anywhere in Thailand.

I could certainly afford Pattaya, but the traffic puts me off. I don't go to bars in Chiang Mai, so the fact that they ain't great any longer in Pattaya isn't a factor in where I live. Other than temples, bars and the beach, there is little difference between C M and Pattaya.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wouldn't have expected anything different from you. Do you enjoy posting flames?

If I couldn't afford 5,000 baht a month for a room, I couldn't afford to live anywhere in Thailand.

I could certainly afford Pattaya, but the traffic puts me off. I don't go to bars in Chiang Mai, so the fact that they ain't great any longer in Pattaya isn't a factor in where I live. Other than temples, bars and the beach, there is little difference between C M and Pattaya.

I think CM is better actually the more I think about it. For overall quality of life.  Heading up there this weekend.

But, the minmal V opportunities are a downer at this point in my life.

As soon as they rip my Prostate out, I may consider a move to CM.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't flaming. Don't take these posts too seriously.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I think CM is better actually the more I think about it. For overall quality of life.  Heading up there this weekend.

But, the minmal V opportunities are a downer at this point in my life.

As soon as they rip my Prostate out, I may consider a move to CM.

Lots of gay friendly vegan restaurants and coffee shops.  Half the expats are over 70.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ling Kae said:

no matter what sort of entertainment you like. It all comes in at prices you can afford. You want a cheap beer bar? You got it, you want an air con bar with nice ladies you got it. You want to eat off a cart for 40 baht? nice, save some money or you can fine dine at a 5 star place for 2,000 baht.

Cheap food  & beer or expensive food & beer .

Yep, that seems to cover everything to do 

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Lots of gay friendly vegan restaurants and coffee shops.  Half the expats are over 70.

Ok, I would have no idea but thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Sounds more like Phenom Phen.

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

Is that the best you can do ?   

Do you think Pattaya has little to offer compared to a polluted city like Chiang Mai ? 

Temples, thai food, mountains , a few malls , what else is there in CM ? 

1 minute ago, balo said:

Is that the best you can do ?   

Do you think Pattaya has little to offer compared to a polluted city like Chiang Mai ? 

Temples, thai food, mountains , a few malls , what else is there in CM ? 

I was replying to a post that seemed just to focus on food and alcohol .

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I was replying to a post that seemed just to focus on food and alcohol

But you live in CM right ?

So what do you think CM offers that Pattaya and Banglamung don't offer?

Except for the mountain area and cool weather during winter which is nice.  

Just now, balo said:

I just like living in CM and Im not too bothered about where other people like living . Most places are all pretty much the same these days

3 hours ago, balo said:

I've done both and I'd say CM is a more relaxing place with better shopping and restaurants and places to explore in the City and around the countryside. It also attracts a better type of person, not too many aggressive drunks or expat conmen looking to rip of vulnerable farangs. And I'd say you are much less likely to be a victim of violent crime there than Pattaya. The big downside is pollution ... personally I think it is only good for 6 months of the year.

Pattaya is better for girly bars and the baht bus makes it easy to get around cheaply. It's also not too far from Bangkok and the international airports. If you like a vibrant nightlife with a variety of shady characters it can be an interesting place. 

Ideal might be to jump between Pattay, CM and Bangkok. For variety.

27 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I've done both and I'd say CM is a more relaxing place with better shopping and restaurants and places to explore in the City and around the countryside. It also attracts a better type of person, not too many aggressive drunks or expat conmen looking to rip of vulnerable farangs. And I'd say you are much less likely to be a victim of violent crime there than Pattaya. The big downside is pollution ... personally I think it is only good for 6 months of the year.

Pattaya is better for girly bars and the baht bus makes it easy to get around cheaply. It's also not too far from Bangkok and the international airports. If you like a vibrant nightlife with a variety of shady characters it can be an interesting place. 

Ideal might be to jump between Pattay, CM and Bangkok. For variety.

"or expat conmen looking to rip of vulnerable farangs " 

LOL con them out of what? majority are just pensioners scratching out a living. You sure do have a fertile imagination ?

1 hour ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

"or expat conmen looking to rip of vulnerable farangs " 

LOL con them out of what? majority are just pensioners scratching out a living. You sure do have a fertile imagination ?

Have you had a look at Andrew Drummond reports on Pattaya based conmen? Many foreigners have paid money to buy a condo and been ripped off ... or maybe I imagined it? LOL :coffee1: