Android boxes now illegal in Thailand

superal

7 minutes ago, tomas557 said:

They are not under specced because they run Linux, and for streaming that is enough.

This are not Android boxes, and you can't install Kodi on them. They are used solely for IPTV streaming.

So how do you get the content loaded on the box?

3 minutes ago, tomas557 said:

On the NBTC license is clearly mantioned Android Box - Chromecast - Apple tv etc

image.png.9b2e731b3821bc95cba00c5a99484876.png

That's a pretty broad, all-encompassing list when it comes to TV device streaming... as I had expected.

But obviously, doesn't address PCs or mobile phones and tablets, fortunately!

6 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

So how do you get the content loaded on the box?

You don't load content on a MAG box, the STB is built in with the firmware, and for streaming you connect to a server local or remote and stream.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, for Android TV OS platforms, that list is showing:

--Phillips (are they in Thailand?)

--Sharp (I thought it was an S brand I was thinking of)

--Sony

--TCL (although not the model I bought a year ago, unless they're using a very general definition for Android TV)

That list also is not specific to Thailand. For example, in the U.S., there are many models of TCL TVs that come with the Roku OS as default. But here in Thailand, I don't think I've ever seen any TV brand running the Roku OS, even though they're common in other markets.

Philips is in Thailand, but only certain models have Android TV, same goes for Sharp.

TCL has 3 different operating systems, they have Roku TV, Smart TV2 ( which I think is the system you have on your TCL) and the most recent models have licensed Android TV.

I don't have experience with Sony but a sales guy at Powebuy told me that it is more limited Android TV than the latest TCL's.

Roku is only really useful in the US, so doesn't make sense to have them in Thailand

You definitely don't want a tv with Roku OS, because Roku doesn't allow third party apps.

Bit same as the AIS boxes.

• Like 1

Just now, tomas557 said:

Philips is in Thailand, but only certain models have Android TV, same goes for Sharp.

TCL has 3 different operating systems, they have Roku TV, Smart TV2 ( which I think is the system you have on your TCL) and the most recent models have licensed Android TV.

I don't have experience with Sony but a sales guy at Powebuy told me that it is more limited Android TV than the latest TCL's.

Roku is only really useful in the US, so doesn't make sense to have them in Thailand

You definitely don't want a tv with Roku OS, because Roku doesn't allow third party apps.

Bit same as the AIS boxes.

Agree about that in general, but Roku can be good for some folks who don't want to get too techie and can get along with just (the very substantial) offerings in the Roku store...

Roku boxes / sticks can be used very successfully here in Thailand, as long as you don't set them up as Thai devices, and the apps you want are available from Roku. And there's a lot of those, especially for a U.S.-centric person.

But the main point of my reply is to ask -- Are you saying you've ever seen a TCL TV for sale in Thailand with the Roku OS???   I've never found such a thing here.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But the main point of my reply is to ask -- Are you saying you've ever seen a TCL TV for sale in Thailand with the Roku OS???   I've never found such a thing here.

No I never seen a TCL Roku in Thailand, thought I made that clear when I mentioned it is only really useful in the US.

Roku has now removed most third party apps from their store, you can't even install an IPTv app anymore.

1 minute ago, tomas557 said:

Maybe my 1+ year old TCL -- model TCL 43S4800 -- is a Smart TV2. Though I don't believe I've ever seen that term anywhere on/in it, and I don't know what Smart TV2 is... Except...

When I go into setting on it, there are none of the traditional Android options, menus, etc. No listing anywhere showing an Android OS version number or anything like that.  But, it does accept sideloaded Android apps and runs some of them somewhat successfully.

Another feature it had that I kind of liked at the time of purchase was a built-in Ethernet port, which was good instead of a lot of other models that only offered wifi connections.

8 minutes ago, tomas557 said:

No I never seen a TCL Roku in Thailand, thought I made that clear when I mentioned it is only really useful in the US.

Roku has now removed most third party apps from their store, you can't even install an IPTv app anymore.

Thanks for the info!

I disagree about the potential usefulness of a Roku here in Thailand.  Especially for a non-techie user and/or an American user. But of course it depends on exactly what the user wants to try to do with it.

Personally, I'm past the gray market streaming stuff and pretty much get along entirely on legal/licensed content sources these days, so no problem for me.  For my purposes, it could work just fine -- but I prefer my MiBox as my No. 1 choice, as I am modestly techie!  :tongue:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I prefer my MiBox as my No. 1 choice, as I am modestly techie!  :tongue:

The new MI box seems to be running an old processor and older memory with 2G RAM and 8G Mem. Doesn't seem like enough based on the Kodi changes coming down the pike.

I'm not knocking your MI Box, in fact I have a MI phone running Pure Android and it's the best phone I have had to date.

9 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

This is what the MiBox has:

Processor: Quad-core Cortex-A53 2.0GHz

GPU: Mali 450 750MHz

RAM: 2GB DDR3

Flash: 8GB eMMC

https://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

Plus the ability to add storage by incorporating external storage as internal.

I know it worked fine with Kodi in the past up thru 17... But I've pretty much given up on Kodi lately, so can't speak to the future.

9 hours ago, vogie said:

Powerbuy has the aconatic 4K in stock. Surely if they were illegal, they would not be selling them.

://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/aconatic-กล่องแอนดรอยด์ทีวี-4k-aconatic-รุ่น-anstb295-อุปกรณ์เสริมทีวีและเครื่องเสียง-230401

PWB000230401.jpg

Probably not the box itself that's illegal

The crime factor is what you do with it /what software is running on it etc 

A bit like any laptop  can download movies from an illegal torrent but the laptop itself is not to blame

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This is what the MiBox has:

https://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

Plus the ability to add storage by incorporating external storage as internal.

I know it worked fine with Kodi in the past up thru 17... But I've pretty much given up on Kodi lately, so can't speak to the future.

Don't give up. Download this APK from the Play Store. IMO, this is an awesome Kodi build.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.onealliance.www

This is their help/FAQ app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arcye.onealliance

If you have any questions, let me know..

Exactly , I see no point banning android boxes , it's just the software that makes it illegal.  I use just my laptop anyway for streaming and stuff.   

Just now, balo said:

Exactly , I see no point banning android boxes , it's just the software that makes it illegal.

That's also the reason why they aren't banned at all, they only made it a bit more complicated to import them, in an attempt to protect some elite.

Kodi is also 100% legal software.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeffrey346 said:

Don't give up. Download this APK from the Play Store. IMO, this is an awesome Kodi build.

It's not the Kodi build itself, or its use as a basic NAS player.

But rather, the issues with the constantly (especially lately) changing, pulled, killed add-ons and repositories -- which in my case ended up making running Kodi with all the add-ons unbearably time-consuming and headache-inducing.

It's not the Kodi build itself, or its use as a basic NAS player.

But rather, the issues with the constantly (especially lately) changing, pulled, killed add-ons and repositories -- which in my case ended up making running Kodi with all the add-ons unbearably time-consuming and headache-inducing.

Try the APK, They constantly are updating the add-ons. All you need to do is watch whatever content that interests you.

Just now, tomas557 said:

Kodi is also 100% legal software.

Correct. It's just some (many) of the optional add-ons that are copyright infringing / illegal.  Which happen to probably be what people use Kodi for most.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking Kodi... Just saying, out in the real world, that's what people do.

Just now, Jeffrey346 said:

Try the APK, They constantly are updating the add-ons. All you need to do is watch whatever content that interests you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave that a try with TVAddOns in the past...

Maybe I'll try again with a different iteration in the future sometime.

Correct. It's just some (many) of the optional add-ons that are copyright infringing / illegal.  Which happen to probably be what people use Kodi for most.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking Kodi... Just saying, out in the real world, that's what people do.

It's what most people who buy these boxes do. Tho I do pay for Netflix and a few others.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

So I'm reading the description. Appears to be a fork of the Kodi player, but with a lean-back interface and remote control controller. But says it comes with no add-ons preconfigured.

So, AFAICT, it's still up to me (the end user) to figure out what respositories to use and what add-ons to use, and then be subject to them coming and going, dying, being replaced, etc etc...

Not sure how I see that being any different a situation from just facing the same headaches if I were running the regular Kodi player instead.

For me, the Android TV platform and then using a few sideloaded apps with similar characteristics is a far more stable, less-time consuming, headache-inducing proposition.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So I'm reading the description. Appears to be a fork of the Kodi player, but with a lean-back interface and remote control controller. But says it comes with no add-ons preconfigured.

So, AFAICT, it's still up to me (the end user) to figure out what respositories to use and what add-ons to use, and then be subject to them coming and going, dying, being replaced, etc etc...

Not sure how I see that being any different a situation from just facing the same headaches if I were running the regular Kodi player instead.

No No.. they say no addons to stay legal in the Play Store. After you install the App it will display a list od their builds. I suggest the first choice which is one alliance lite. Once downloaded it will self install. The 1A team keeps the build updated and you do not have to mess with Kodi or do any manual updates..

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, superal said:

My point is that android boxes are supposedly unavailable and illegal to sell in Thai shops  for the last month or so. Now we all know that " Advice " is a large retailer of IT etc so I have to believe them  ( not too concerned if the enforcer is NBTC or not ) .

You say plenty available on Lazada which is correct but I did notice that none were resourced from Thailand , so what is the point in a partial ban .  Sorry , I am applying western logic again .

Big C still sells the Smart and Accodata android boxes.

The kodi app is pre installed. Plus a few other TV services. 

The population of kodi has to be done by yourself. 

Same as any other apk type add ons. 

Which are then add one to kodi. 

Pre population of boxes is banned in the UK. 

Sky and others losing out license fees.

Slightly different situation.

Several (many) establishments in pattaya have pre populated iptv boxes.

Streaming services from all over the world. 

Today I saw sites offering the 3000 plus channel boxes plus installation for 5000 baht.

Something seems off the mark as usual regarding this one...

28 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

No No.. they say no addons to stay legal in the Play Store. After you install the App it will display a list od their builds. I suggest the first choice which is one alliance lite. Once downloaded it will self install. The 1A team keeps the build updated and you do not have to mess with Kodi or do any manual updates..

Tricky little buggers.... :biggrin:

It only has a relatively small number of reviews in the Play Store, but those reviews they have seem to be overwhelmingly favorable.

• Like 1

If you bought an android off Lazada, I don't believe they come with Kodi preinstalled, you would have to install it from Play Store. I bought one for myself about 1 year ago and one for my friend about 4-5 months ago. Lazada would not sell anything illegal.
I bought an Android box about a month ago from Lazada and it had Kodi pre-installed. but Kodi is just a piece of software. It wasn't configured for any streaming services, you would have to do that yourself.
  • Like 2

A ban doesn't make sense because an Android box is just an Android computer without the screen. Using the logic that it could be used to stream illegal TV they would also have to ban every Android phone which can do the same thing. I don't even use the pre-installed Kodi on my Android box because I've subscribed to a service called TV Mucho which streams all the UK channels and has its own app.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My point was, it's not an imported device, and you're not buying it from abroad, so you don't have to worry about any of the NBTC licensing issues.

It's only the foreign, imported hardware the government here wants to hassle.

My original post was in response to the OP's topic question, but YOU added your 2 cents and included imported Android boxes which the OP' post doesn't make reference to.  Also in response to "for purposes of this thread/topic," the questions you asked are yours, not the OP's .  If you want answers I suggest you use Google.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, trd said:

A ban doesn't make sense because an Android box is just an Android computer without the screen. Using the logic that it could be used to stream illegal TV they would also have to ban every Android phone which can do the same thing. I don't even use the pre-installed Kodi on my Android box because I've subscribed to a service called TV Mucho which streams all the UK channels and has its own app.

It would never be possible to enforce anyway

Any android device can be used to watch pirated content or project it onto a big screen in several ways 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tomas557 said:

You should stop making things up mate, on every Lazada page is a local option, regardless if there are items available local or not. It's just part of the Lazada menu

More drivel, since they quote ministry of education, which has nothing to do with Android boxes. The reason they stop selling is because first of all the Android box boom has passed long ago, and the hassle to get the license.

A few posters have already quoted name and locations of brick and mortar shops in Thailand that sell them, and if you click on the 1945 available items on Lazada, you will find that most also have a brick and mortar shop where you can go buy the item. There are at least 3 shops in Panthip and a few in Fortune that I'm aware of.

The 10 Baht is not the issue, it is the hassle to obtain the license. I have seen the documents and it are 6 forms which have to be completed by the seller abroad and the importer in Thailand. It needs to have the serial numbers of the devices that gonna be imported as well as some other details from the seller, and the license needs to be obtained before the boxes are shipped. Not many are interested in that, because it is made difficult on purpose to protect the business of a few major companies in Thailand

Not making things up mate ,  I opened up Lazada on my  mail and failed to notice it was Lazada Singapore and for that I apologies to all but dont shoot the messenger as I was quoting from the manageress of my local Advice shop . At least the post has come up with some good info to what is , or seems to be the law in Thailand , plus some good technical advice . 

image.png.26fc2f121f53a8354bfc211d46a7a85c.pngimage.png.26fc2f121f53a8354bfc211d46a7a85c.png

I posted this in the Nvidia Shield thread.. Thought you guys may be interested.

I just posted my Amazon Shield experience above. Now my eBay story.

I ordered a SkyStream Two on eBay. This is a high end box like the Shield. I had it shipped via the eBay Global Shipping Program.

This morning I received a call from DHL telling me I need an import license or the box will be sent back to eBay.

I told them I received the Shield that was shipped UPS with no issues.. They couldn't care less.

I called eBay, explained what is going on. They said wait till the last arrival date which is July 26. If DHL has not delivered the package, call eBay and they will issue a full refund.

Let's see what happens...

Got an email from eBay this morning. They stated that they reviewed Thailand rules and the streaming box I ordered does not require a import license. 

They did not elaborate, but my guess is if Kodi or similar software is not installed the box does not need the import license.

They said a message was sent to the DHL Hub here in Thailand advising them that no license is required and to deliver the package. 

It's going to be interesting to see who wins.. eBay or DHL. I'll keep you informed.  

iPhone 7 +. 13.3" Macbook Pro . 13.3"  Macbook Air . Nvidia Shield TV.  

•