Avoiding Bangkok.

Graemej100

Hoping to get some advice on the most comfortable (not the fastest) way of riding from Pattaya to Chiang Mai -  but avoiding Bangkok! (That is our main criteria.)

It doesn't matter if we take 3 or 4 days just as long as we can avoid the heavy traffic areas. We both ride Classic bikes where 80/90 ks is our most comfortable speed. We do not have prizes for 'first there'. We like to smell the roses.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Graemej100 said:

Really????? Never thought of that.

Mobile or computer routes can be sorted I find it excellent.

You pointer the arrow if that's the correct term and make your own route.

You can get street views in some places not all.

Maybe someone more clever with computers can explain better.

You could go many roads maybe some of them a bit rough, a route could be something like Pattaya to Sa Kaeo on and through Nakon Ratchsima province to Phetchabun head to Phae up to and cut across main road that goes Chaing Rai taking roads to Chaing Mai.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You could go many roads maybe some of them a bit rough, a route could be something like Pattaya to Sa Kaeo on and through Nakon Ratchsima province to Phetchabun head to Phae up to and cut across main road that goes Chaing Rai taking roads to Chaing Mai.

That is a good suggestion. Petchabun un and Phrae good pit stop overnight.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

You open Google Maps, put Pattaya to Chiang Mai, click options and select no high ways and no toll roads. Then you are presented with 3 options, two of these don't go through Bangkok

There still busy routes I find you can stay further to the East and find you way if in no rush.

I have done this trip a couple of times, both ways and usually I ride something like this:

Roadwise: 

331 to 3245 to 319 to 33 to 1 right before Saraburi. Then 1 through Saraburi to Lopburi and continue until it meets 11 and follow 11 to Chiang Mai. 

You could of course continue from Lopburi to Singburi and into 32 and eventually into 1 again to Nakhon Sawan - Kampeng Phet - Tak - Lampang and 11 to Chiang Mai. Its probably the shortest and fastest route but dare I say quite boring on a motorbike. The 11 has at least some curves and mountains after Pitsanoluk to Uttaradit and almost to Lampang. 

You can spend a night in Phichit, Pitsanoluk, Uttaradit area maybe? 

Of course all kind of deviations and other routes are possible. 

• Like 2

This route is a detour with some scenic value (uphill through Khao Yai, Petchabun, Lomsak-Phitsanulok).

Of course avoiding Bangkok is possible with much shorter distance. But I would not only avoid Bangkok but also highway 1/Saraburi. Very busy, lots of big trucks, aggressive driving.

How to get to highway 331 from Pattaya varies depending on your starting point.

A less stressful route is in the south (Na Jomtien) through Hua Yai road.

EDIT: the route to 331 in the map/route below is NOT recommended/not allowed by bike.

(see below)

http://goo.gl/DVr1cP

ptycnx.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, johng said:

If it where me, even with Sat Nav on the bike  90 % chance I'd miss a turn off and end up in bloody Bangkok....one time (in a car, no sat nav)  got lost on the elevated express ways for hours eventually run out of money to pay any more toll booths...?

went down to the ground level roads and a kindly trucker told us to follow him to freedom :w00t: out of the concrete jungle...I vowed never to drive into Bangkok ever again.

Sounds like me a few years ago. Had to pay a taxi driver i found to lead the way out with me following...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

Really????? Never thought of that.

Will google maps not show you some carriageways where motorbikes are banned?

Let's look at it another way, can you get directions on google maps, where motorbikes can travel?

21 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Will google maps not show you some carriageways where motorbikes are banned?

Let's look at it another way, can you get directions on google maps, where motorbikes can travel?

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

click options and select no high ways and no toll roads

You still have to care about bridges where motorbikes are not allowed, but you will not be sent on the regular highways / tollroads where motorbikes are not allowed.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

This route is a detour with some scenic value (uphill through Khao Yai, Petchabun, Lomsak-Phitsanulok).

Of course avoiding Bangkok is possible with much shorter distance. But I would not only avoid Bangkok but also highway 1/Saraburi. Very busy, lots of big trucks, aggressive driving.

How to get to highway 331 from Pattaya varies depending on your starting point.

A less stressful route is in the south (Na Jomtien) through Hua Yai road.

EDIT: the route to 331 in the map/route below is NOT recommended/not allowed by bike.

(see below)

http://goo.gl/DVr1cP

ptycnx.jpg

For my money, this would be the best route if not in a hurry, highway 12 in places is stunning, beautiful road, as stated quite a few roadworks on the 304, but not that bad. 

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

I use Google Maps on my phone all the time.  It's far better than my onboard satnav and always up to date, even rerouting to avoid heavy traffic. Verbal instructions are clear and concise and given with fair warning.

Same, when the car satnav has no clue use Google, most accurate of any!

2 hours ago, nickmondo said:

exactly.  amazes me why people ask such questions.

its like they dont want to do any planning themselves

Yeah google is your friend in Thailand, I think OP thinks it will be different for classic bikes.

People do Thailand Nth to South & vice-versa on bicycles, Waves & scoots.

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, that’s been mentioned on here before .

Mine hasn’t updated though, don’t know why ?

Go to Google Play Store, type Google Maps and click update. A motorcycle figure will appear alongside the other travel options (car, walk, etc.)

• Like 2

Go to Google Play Store, type Google Maps and click update. A motorcycle figure will appear alongside the other travel options (car, walk, etc.)

I’m on IOS , I last received an update on Aug 11, but still no mc .

EDIT: just googled it and it came to Android first with no mention of when, or if, it’s coming to IOS [emoji20]

Thanks so much for those suggestions. 

I ride from CM around the North every year. CM - Pai - Mae Hon Song - CM loop (5 days) and then CM - Fang - Mae Salong - Mai Sai (via the border Rd) - Chiang Kong - Phu Chi Fa - Nan - Chiang Rai - Phayo - CM (12 days) and have done for 4 years. If I can give anyone any advice on any of those stretches I'd be more than happy to do so and I'll send you my Google Maps of my routes. 

Once again, thanks so much. Great advice.

But Nickmondo and Kwasaki. You pompous <deleted>.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nickmondo said:

exactly.  amazes me why people ask such questions.

its like they dont want to do any planning themselves

The OP is clearly looking for personal comfort ride experience from other bikers which would explain the sarcastic remark at post 3.

The OP's mistake was to not idiot proof the question.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

We both ride Classic bikes where 80/90 ks is our most comfortable speed. We do not have prizes for 'first there'. We like to smell the roses.

My kinda guys. Fully understand - best way to see the countryside.

Enfields?

13 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

I'll send you my Google Maps of my routes. 

Once again, thanks so much. Great advice.

But Nickmondo and Kwasaki. You pompous <deleted>.

After trying to help what sounded like a novice bike rider OP that's funny.

Done most those trips except Nan but you can stick your maps a/h. 

15 hours ago, lordblackader said:

The closest you get to Bangkok on the most direct route is you skirt around the city on one of the ring roads. It's far, far easier than routing through Isan and the roads are 100x better.

Your totally right if I'm in my truck, usually well me like many motorbikers like going right off the main routes. ?