Driving licence uproar unmasks character flaws

webfact

5 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Get the teenage kids and children off the damn motorcycles, and get those damned blasted motorcycles with sidecars off the road too...those rolling living rooms are a menace in themselves... and they carry everything but the kitchen sink.

You describe the unique and charming aspect of Thailand. Get rid of moaning foreigners I say. Go back to where you came from.

3 minutes ago, The manic said:

You describe the unique and charming aspect of Thailand. Get rid of moaning foreigners I say. Go back to where you came from.

Yes, really charming and unique those 10 year old kids on 125cc scooters buying beers for uncle Somchai.  More than 25,000 casualties a year is about the same as the total number of people killed in terrorist attacks in the world. And you in all your simpleminded thinking find it charming and unique.

• Like 2

If it is so difficult for the local population to get a license in Thailand how come those who live in, for instance  the UK can and do manage to pass the very difficult driving tests, both written and on the road? They may find it difficult but do not complain and appreciate that driving is a lot safer there,  When returning to Thailand for a holiday that is when they really appreciate how dangerous the roads are here.

Will it ever change, not unless a similar system is adopted. That is as likely as changing which side of the road to officially drive on! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Wow... so I guess your unique vision of charm in Thailand is the hundreds a week who die in accidents?

When the moaning foreigners are gone it is the bleeding hearts who will take the place of us "moaners"...

BTW... I make women moan. I actually gripe.

Personally I could go either way on this issue. The standard of driving is appalling in rural Thailand, but car drivers are much better than motorcyclists. I am still shocked seeing cars driving the wrong way up highway 2 going to/from Korat. They drive slowly on the hard shoulder but they do seem to know that they are not driving legally. In contrast, the motorcyclists appear to either not know any traffic rules or seem to think that traffic rules don't apply to motorcyclists. 

To sort the driving problems out, you need to start with the kids. Police should not be directing traffic outside schools and allowing 3 or 4 kids on a bike with no helmets and an underage, unlicensed driver. The bikes should be impounded and a large fine assessed on the parent who are stupid enough to allow them to ride a motorcycle at their age. 

I would say, come down very, very hard on kids. Through large fines make them get licences, make them wear helmets, make them drive with only one passenger, make them drive on the correct side of the road etc. But you need enforcement...lots of traffic stops and police cars/bikes on the road monitoring the stupid driving.

Sadly, the price rarely stop school kids because they have no/little money to pay bribe.

The majority of deaths on Thai roads are young drivers of motorcycles so start there with the program for improving the driving.

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

When the procedure is slow and difficult, involving considerable time and challenging tests, the result will be an enormous number of people driving illegally, many of them too poor in time and money to find an alternative.

Challenging test "really" no hope left here?

It seems like what they are really saying is that if they turn up at the DLC then they should get a license. No test no verification that they can actually drive. It comes down to their inalienable right to have a license and drive.

What a stupid attitude the Nation is adopting

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Wow... so I guess your unique vision of charm in Thailand is the hundreds a week who die in accidents?

When the moaning foreigners are gone it is the bleeding hearts who will take the place of us "moaners"...

BTW... I make women moan. I actually gripe.

Freedom comes at a price. Go campaign against American Gun Laws or any worthy cause. It's good that kids learn to ride motor bikes at a young age. Gives them confidence and freedom.  Stop being so preachy. Try addressing issues in your own country. Or try living in North Korea or Signapore . Lots of rules and regulations there.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The public’s concern that police could demand bribes from drivers who cannot produce a licence stems from the common perception that cops are corrupt and opportunistic.

In this case perception is the truth!

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

When the procedure is slow and difficult, involving considerable time and challenging tests, the result will be an enormous number of people driving illegally, many of them too poor in time and money to find an alternative.

Challenging test "really" no hope left here?

Yes I read that and thought, hold on, the UK and Thai population are roughly the same, the driving test in the UK is anything but a breeze consisting of a written and practical exam which many fail but we don't have approximately 8 million people driving without a licence as do here in Thailand, so I don't agree with that statement. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The proposed heavier penalties would of course hit underprivileged people worst, and sometimes they do need to drive without a licence. For them, Bt10,000 could but several months’ supply of food, and it is they who are the most susceptible to abuse by dishonest policemen. 

The Thai police will not waste their time fiddling with Thais.  They know that most Thais have no money.  This law will disproportionately affect farangs.  After all we know that all of the farang tourists are wealthy!

6 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

The Thai police will not waste their time fiddling with Thais.  They know that most Thais have no money.  This law will disproportionately affect farangs.  After all we know that all of the farang tourists are wealthy!

It is news to me that "most Thais have no money" if they are driving expensive cars and there are lots of them to be seen. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SABloke said:

Perception? Surely you mean 'fact'.

Ummm...not true. Corrupt police officers can and will do whatever they want.

The first point is "typical" - the second, not so much. This writer lives in a bit of a bubble I think.

Why?

That's how other countries remain out of the top spot for road fatalities. Worthwhile goals often require hard work. And spare me the "Thailand is a poor country" crap - there are 102 countries with lower GDP per capita (i.e. "poorer") than Thailand and they're all managing to "lose" to Thailand in the road safety race.

i do beleive the UK has a lower GDP than Thailand

• Confused 1

i like this article except for the bit below

In a fair and efficient society, anyone anywhere should be able to get a driving licence quickly and either free of charge or at minimal cost. When the procedure is slow and difficult, involving considerable time and challenging tests, the result will be an enormous number of people driving illegally, many of them too poor in time and money to find an alternative.

i dont think the thai license involves  'considerable time and challenging tests' 

One Songkram i went out without my wallet and phone, just cash in a plastic bag for obvious reasons.

Police road block were stopping everyone, so many bike keys were taken away, followed by a long walk to pay the fine. 50k for that would be ridiculous. There is a difference between having a licence, but not on you against not having a licence. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a977 said:

So you paid the cop 300thb thereby contributing to the problem you are complaining about. If you had not paid what was going to happen he fine you, you go to bank or police station pay fine no contribution to police benefit fund.  You are not required by law to give police your licence only court can take licence from you. You are required to show police your licence for the purposes of I.D. and to check your details they cannot confiscate your licence.  And you wonder why police corruption is so rife!!!!!!

In Pattaya for sure the police have taken away my licence, then told me to collect it at the police station when paying the fine.

4 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Yes, really charming and unique those 10 year old kids on 125cc scooters buying beers for uncle Somchai.  More than 25,000 casualties a year is about the same as the total number of people killed in terrorist attacks in the world. And you in all your simpleminded thinking find it charming and unique.

I don't think the deaths are charming 

I think the free spirited Thais are charming.  Freedom involves risks. Nobody is forcing them. It's their choice and not your business. You can always return to your own country with all its rules and regulations. Gun deaths in America, Aboriginal deaths in Australia...Why pick on Thai kids and the few freedoms they have? The motor bikes with side carts are peoples livelihood. And they provide a whole host of services to the community.  I admire their enterprise and steadfastness. Ultimately you sound like a thoughtless snob who dislikes poor people.

Edited by The manic
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

They can only extort you when you are braking the law, so wear a helmet, get a license, drive on the right side, wear a seatbelt, ......

who teaches the plods to drive   or ride...

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Why not force the police too get out of their offices occasionally and patrol the roads to ensure that drivers are driving well? That strikes me as a better solution...

This is such a typical comment.  Mostly from those that dislike the police which is a world wide phenomena.

But those that think it is a police problem are uneducated and naive.

You could put the entire LAPD force here and it would make little difference.  Maybe 1% reduction in accidents and deaths.

This place is a problem due to several reasons:  

Lack of education.

The engineering and design of the roadways.

People on their phones and unaware.

The education of drivers is #1 and that is not the responsibility of the cops in most countries.

A simple example is ask a Thai about following too closely.  What is the reaction time, how far a car travels per second at lets say 50 mph, and the distance the car travels after applying the brake before it stops? They have no clue what you are talking about. 

If there were a bunch more cops out there people would just complain about that.

It is not the answer to any of this and I do not believe there is one without some serious mandatory education of every person who gets behind the wheel..

Even then, the engineering of the roads in this country are horrific thus the high accident rate in this country will always be an issue.

Be safe out there and drive defensively..

Entitlement leads to emboldenment,and many thais feel too much of both, it starts at the top and flows down...anyhow good luck with that new policy ....this country is spinning out of control...

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, The manic said:

I don't think the deaths are charming 

I think the free spirited Thais are charming.  Freedom involves risks. Nobody is forcing them. It's their choice and not your business. You can always return to your own country with all its rules and regulations. Gun deaths in America, Aboriginal deaths in Australia...Why pick on Thai kids and the few freedoms they have? The motor bikes with side carts are peoples livelihood. And they provide a whole host of services to the community.  I admire their enterprise and steadfastness. Ultimately you sound like a thoughtless snob who dislikes poor people.

Your wrong, it is my business as I'm using the same roads as those charming lawbreakers.  The law is pretty straightforward, just not enforced. Bottomline is that peoples safety is at stake and that may never be compromised. Nothing charming about that. Calling me a snob just because I care about people's safety confirms your ignorance and lack of intelligence.

13 hours ago, webfact said:

(The policymakers believe the word “maximum” allows for leniency.)

The word 'maximum' allows for corruption as well as selective enforcement.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

We hardly hear about accidents with motorcycle sidecars so no need to discuss about them. Far more important are other means of transport that cause carnage, starting with minivans and truck to private cars and tour busses.
So far I consider inter city busses as safe.

14 hours ago, JAG said:

I agree with you about children on motorcycles. Motorcycles with sidecars? Almost invariably they trundle slowly along the left-hand side of the road, causing ,at most, a couple of minutes inconvenience to anyone behind them. They are often an integral art of the local economy...

What about when they try to cross to the  other side of the road? 

There is a reason a noodle shop connected to a 100c Honda wave is illegal at the dlt

1 hour ago, CLW said:

We hardly hear about accidents with motorcycle sidecars so no need to discuss about them. Far more important are other means of transport that cause carnage, starting with minivans and truck to private cars and tour busses.
So far I consider inter city busses as safe.

I've seen a couple of them on their sides and roofs but I do a lot of miles a year.... 

No vehicle is safe if the driver falls asleep or just driving too fast for the Road conditions

• Like 1