I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

Hi in other posts i have Discussed  retirement extension if on minimum funds' 

I still am border line on that issue however with rapid decline in the amount of pension,

I get in baht under 40,000 this month is even staying here worthwhile?

Going home to Australia is not a realistic option so perhaps Cambodia, Vietnam or the Philippines?

I wonder if any other Aussies or Brits face this issue and if  due to declining funds are or have considered leaving.

Not Back to your home country but researched alternative countries. due to my age I am reluctant to leave.

Unless I obtain an extension  in October I/O may make the the decision for me.

Please Note this post is about is it worthwhile staying:  not about how to get an extension

I hope mainly Brits, Aussies or others having declining amounts reply to this post

Perhaps a Vain Hope I guess

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cleverman said:

I assume on such a low income,you haven't medical insurance. If this is the case, get back to Oz.

Firm but fair.

As you say,it is an assumption, but I am in full agreement that if you cannot afford health insurance (or to be self insured) then rockin' an' rollin' about in Asia is tossing the dice a few too many times for comfort.

I chose to retire from the fray before I had reached that stage-a rational decision even tho' I hated to leave.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Eking out on 40k a single man. Me and three kids live very nicely on 30k a month, and we can even afford to go to Ramayana water park this weekend. Food, utilities just about everything except booze is cheap here.

Yes I lived in Thailand for near 10 years & I agree we (wife & I ) also lived for that at times but we owned our home & condo, truck, motorcycle etc so had no real bills.

Yes it "can be" cheap but life for me is not a race to live cheap.

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2

there's this big myth out there that cambodia and vietnam are bargain destinations.  they're not. apartments are actually more expensive there than in thailand.

i'd probably recommend guys on a low budget to head to the philippines these days.

Edited by james1995
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Eking out on 40k a single man. Me and three kids live very nicely on 30k a month, and we can even afford to go to Ramayana water park this weekend. Food, utilities just about everything except booze is cheap here.

That is just the main sticking point basically I would have to leave behind a Companion/ Career  that cost Me  $$$$$$$$$$$$$

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Either way, not much different to Thailand, you either put money in bank, pay a back-door option, declare income/savings you may not have etc. I have friends in Cambodia and Philippines and cost of living appears very similar, X is cheaper, Y is more expensive etc. 

Based on Current exchange rates and research The Philippines seems doable 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Either way, not much different to Thailand, you either put money in bank, pay a back-door option, declare income/savings you may not have etc. I have friends in Cambodia and Philippines and cost of living appears very similar, X is cheaper, Y is more expensive etc. 

Brit man said I have several friends, too poor to stay in Thailand, who now rotate around Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Philippines **I thought of that but entry to Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia cost $ 30 US every time  Philippines free entry on arrival. interesting to find out how your friends do it and average costs 

• Like 2