THAI to push reforms after unsavoury pilot standoff

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

even as airline executives vowed to reform the national carrier.

this place needs reform in every direction one looks, pity, tho, the word has been so over-used as to have lost all meaning; in this case, those attitudes of 'privilege' are deeply ingrained and thus unlikely to change much if at all

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“Pilots should have a ‘pilot’s conscience’. They should realise that customers come first, and that customers are Thai Airways’ source of capital and hence their very own source of income.

Yes, but don't forget . . . this is Thailand and we're talking about the typical corporate employee who, all too often, doesn't know the meaning of 'conscience'. And, as for realising that customers come first, and that customers are Thai Airways’ source of capital and hence their very own source of income, that's all way too complicated.

At the risk of repeating myself, I am now all the surer in my forecast that THAI will be finished or taken-over, 12mths from now.

Edited by Ossy
omisson
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAG said:

Were Thai Airways bound by normal commercial considerations you would almost certainly be right. 

As it is effectively funded by the state, and run largely for the (free or subsidised) benefit of those employed by or "influential" with the state, then I suspect it will continue, until possibly it becomes a casualty of a major political and social upheaval.

Sadly I'd have to agree with that.

The issue of customer service is never one that ever enters the head of anyone in any level of bureaucracy.

• Like 1

This issue can be explained in part by the differences between Thai and Western ideas about business. 

Thais (and many other Asians) believe that employers should favor their employees even at the expense of customers. This is a style more compatible with small family business. They have not figured out how big business works. 

• Like 2

I flew last month out of Chicago with a deadheading pilot sat next to me in coach, he really didn't seem to have a problem with it.

The problem with TG is that is a military hobby project, hence is destined to always be in the 'also ran' league of airlines.

The horrible truth is that most airlines worldwide have been at their most profitable over the last 10 years, while TG has been mired in losses.

This stupid incident just highlights why that happened

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2