Video: Pick-up driver arrested after reversing over motorcycle victim in Buriram

webfact

Video: Pick-up driver arrested after reversing over motorcycle victim

4pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Horrific footage from Buriram showed a pick-up cut in front of a "big bike".

Then the pick-up backs over the victim and drives off down a soi. 

The motorcyclist was dead at the scene outside Buriram prison.

Thai Rath reported Sunday that the pick-up driver had been arrested and faces charges of negligent driving causing death and not helping the victim of an accident. 

A friend of the victim told Thai Rath Online that the victim was a younger member of a motorcycle gang and he was called Petch. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-05

• Sad 1

When I first came to Thailand the 'bar stool' experts told me that in an accident Thai drivers will reverse over their victims because paying for the death is often cheaper than paying for the hospital bills.... 

.... Of course, such dumb statements are typical in such environments (beer bars), but in this case it seems so !....  

.... the truck driver must have been so incredibly drunk...

... Also, that bike appears to traveling at significant speed...

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Of course this is the pick up drivers fault, but there is one thing very peculiar. The victims friend siad he was a young member of a motorcycle gang.

In that case he should have been having a little better reaction regarding breaking and rounding backside the car. here it looks like he is moving in the same direction like the car.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When I first came to Thailand the 'bar stool' experts told me that in an accident Thai drivers will reverse over their victims because paying for the death is often cheaper than paying for the hospital bills.... 

But no "need" in this case :sleep:

Close to impossible that the crazy speeding bike rider survived the impact.

Two mad, irresponsible drivers met at an intersection.

The one with the bigger drive survived.

Of course the pickup driver should be locked up for long even if he "only" did the runner without intentionally reversing over the victim.

Doing a turn over a busy multilane road in the dark without stopping, speechless.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

pick-up driver had been arrested and faces charges of negligent driving causing death and not helping the victim of an accident

Not helping? He helped him alright.

18 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Not content with turning into his path he then backs over him and drives off without even looking at the carnage he has caused, what ever kind of person is driving that truck? 

The kind that is off to the nearest phone to claim his insurance while getting his pickup repaired

My friend in Taiwan,told me the same thing,if in an accident

and your fault,if the victim is seriously injured,you reverse 

over them to make sure they are dead,if they are dead it

means a one off payment in compensation,if seriously injured

you could end up paying for them the rest of their lives,but

I don't think the driver in this case was thinking that,he just wanted to

get away,as quickly as possible.

regards Worgeordie

Looks like the m/c was going very quick as it "appeared" out of the glare of the other vehicles headlights (I realize that it looks brighter in the video though).  Difficult to be sure but it was perhaps accelerating hard away from some traffic lights.

It seems the m/c first tried to go left to go in front of the truck and then realized the truck wasn't stopping, but even if the truck had stopped, the m/c was going much too fast to swerve behind it.

Then the other 2 m/c's stopped, the truck driver probably panicked and wanted to get away, and reversed over the victim without realizing he was there. 

From the speed of the impact (and the way the truck was pushed sideways), I doubt the victim would have survived anyway.  

RIP.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath reported Sunday that the pick-up driver had been arrested and faces charges of negligent driving causing death and not helping the victim of an accident. 

The fact that the driver backed over the motorcyclists show intent to murder. 

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

Difficult to be sure but it was perhaps accelerating hard away from some traffic lights.

Closet traffic lights to that turn off are about a kilometer away, at the Rama 1 monument, which is also a roundabout.

I haven't seen those lights operating (red amber green) for a long time. At that time of night, even if they were on, they would be flashing red.

The road the motor bike was on leads up to the Chang Stadium and is quite well illuminated.

Pickup driver is pri#k!

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:48 AM, worgeordie said:

The driver cannot see whats in front of him,AND

what's behind him,wonder if they tested him for

alcohol,they should also give him an eye test. 

regards worgeordie

Followed by a stretch in prison for dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an accident!  But none of that will happen and nothing will change.