Why Thai banks are trying to charge you for cash at ATMs and branches

webfact

14 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Singapore and Malaysia do it for free for farangs....thailand needs 220 baht, the thieves.

you would pay that much again, if you select the 'Currency Conversion Now' option

plus, back home, there's a further AU$3.50 (80baht) taken

• Like 2

Why Thai banks are trying to charge you for cash at ATMs and branches

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai banks are pushing ahead with efforts to take money off their customers for giving them their cash. 

They are determined to charge you for using their own ATMs and get money over the counter. 

Krungsri charged me 500 (i think) for my first ATM card, but when I switched the type of account, they refunded me a percentage on the new ATM card. I get 4 free withdrawels from any ATM, and alwys free at the Yellow Krungsri ones, which arent hard to find ANYWHERE.

I have three banks in the US. One charges me $6 a month, but I get free Out of Network ATM use AND even better, they refund my ATM fees here. So two ATMs here covers that. Guess what account Im using the most.

When all banks charge, one will charge less to get the business.

52 minutes ago, tifino said:

you would pay that much again, if you select the 'Currency Conversion Now' option

plus, back home, there's a further AU$3.50 (80baht) taken

Australian citibank do not charge you to draw money out here,you only get hit with the 220 baht,also my bank here gives me the option of use their conversion or proceding without conversion,sat they offered me 23.43 proceded without out coversion and got 23.92 from citibank that included the 220 baht.cheers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

see how that looks in 6 months

Nothing will be different for the big majority of expats. :cool:

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

did you read the OP ? 

I did, but I was replying to your message :

39 minutes ago, smedly said:

encourage people to keep their money in a bank () then charge them to take it out, //

1 hour ago, smedly said:

encourage people to keep their money in a bank (expats have no choice for extensions) then charge them to take it out, I can see were this is going, Thais might decide to keep their money since there would be no particular benefit (in fact a loss) using a bank, the banks need to be very careful were they are going with this

It's better than that. Have you ever made a deposit out of your bank branch's province? 

Bangkok bank charges a fee for that

• Like 2

On top of this I heard that they now want to crack down on online merchants. I am trying to find an article in English but they have just passed a law saying that if you make over 400 transactions a year and it is over a total of 2m Baht, unless you can prove otherwise you will be considered an online merchant and be taxed as such.