Too Many Police Checkpoints in Pattaya

darksidedog

There's several Line app groups from farangs in the Pattaya area posting if/when they see a police checkpoint around town. the one I'm in now is full at the moment, Maybe some Thai Visa BM should start another one. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, bbko said:

There's several Line app groups from farangs in the Pattaya area posting if/when they see a police checkpoint around town. the one I'm in now is full at the moment, Maybe some Thai Visa BM should start another one.

And why would you want to hide from them?  If you've got nothing to hide there's no point in running away from the checkpoints.

Some farangs want to ride without a helmet and license , which is a very stupid thing to do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, manarak said:

I am in the same situation as you, insurance, tax, driver license, helmet...

when they stop me, they briefly check my documents and let me go.

only once, about 5 years ago, I got stopped on the railway road and the cop became visibly displeased that everything was in order. then he told me bluntly "you pay 200 baht".

I asked for the reason, but he just repeated "you pay 200 baht".

I made a bored face and reached for my wallet the cop briefly started to smile, but instead of money I pulled out my lawyer's business card and said "please explain to my lawyer what I did wrong".

"go go go go"

what type of bike are you driving?

As many posters know already, I am a prison visitor seeing people in multiple prisons. I don't carry my lawyers business card, I work for a lawyer and have done for many years.

I am well aware of my rights and once when I insisted on them, my boss had to bail me out because a copper didn't want to lose face for his illegal activities.

If you had read my post, you would know my bike is 2 years old, a Yamaha Nuovo FX to provide finer detail. Nothing flash and in perfect condition. I am not sure why you thought that relevant.

I will lob the cops 100 when the need arises, because it is easier than headbutting a wall, even though I am utterly clean and have all my paperwork in order. Occasionally, and I do mean occasionally, it saves drama.

And lastly, my thread simply questioned the number of stops around town and if people thought it excessive. Your input on the central part of the thread, which I stressed in my post which you quoted,  would have been appreciated.

• Like 1

I am surprise that you have the balls to have an opinion on this forum ! Congrats !

Can I know where you have been piss tested ? at night ?

I have never been stopped and never had to show any license or document, but at the same time I drive a brand new Benz, so I guess that it helps to be a safe criminal ????

thanks.

Edited by moreem
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

As many posters know already, I am a prison visitor seeing people in multiple prisons. I don't carry my lawyers business card, I work for a lawyer and have done for many years.

I am well aware of my rights and once when I insisted on them, my boss had to bail me out because a copper didn't want to lose face for his illegal activities.

If you had read my post, you would know my bike is 2 years old, a Yamaha Nuovo FX to provide finer detail. Nothing flash and in perfect condition. I am not sure why you thought that relevant.

I will lob the cops 100 when the need arises, because it is easier than headbutting a wall, even though I am utterly clean and have all my paperwork in order. Occasionally, and I do mean occasionally, it saves drama.

And lastly, my thread simply questioned the number of stops around town and if people thought it excessive. Your input on the central part of the thread, which I stressed in my post which you quoted,  would have been appreciated.

I read all your posts in this thread with attention and while you wrote your bike is years old, you didn't write about what type of bike it is.

I asked about the type because it could have been some sort of customized bike, which always attracts attention.

The other reason why you get stopped I can think about is that you are "driving while farang".

Regarding the number of stops in town, yes there quite a number of them, but I only get stopped about once a month, so they don't bother me much.

I got breathalyzed once, but never piss tested.

As I know where the checkpoints are, they are also easy to avoid, although sometimes with significant detours. I wish the cops would setup mobile checkpoints occasionally to cut off the usual alternate routes.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

In answer to the question, yes, way too many. And, No, they are not helping to stop bad driving.

I understand your frustration that every poster so far has ignored your question and focused on lobbing out tea money occasionally, which is a fact of life here.

Yes, I agree, it's just become silly now, there are way too many. Why on earth should a 5 minute drive from my house to Big C take 15 minutes because of navigating a dumb checkpoint blocking the entire northbound side of Suk? If there'd been a murder or something serious, maybe it's justified, but checking crash helmets and licences is not sufficient justification IMHO to cause so much inconvenience to innocent motorists. A week ago the same thing heading south to Makro, the whole of Suk blocked off as well as the u-turn by Makro, so once you navigated your way through the cops you had to go all the way down to Soi Wat Boon and do a u-turn there. Ridiculous.

Mind you, it's not just Pattaya. A mate who lives up near Ubon drove down to Jomtien yesterday and got stopped no less than eight times on the way. He thinks the heightened police activity is due to the impending election, though most of what I read seems to say that it's not necessarily pending at all.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, balo said:

And why would you want to hide from them?  If you've got nothing to hide there's no point in running away from the checkpoints.

You should be more attentive... evidently someone adds something

unhealthy to your drinks!

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Reality is that unless they flood the roads in this way with checkpoints then very little will change, the problems faced here with road accidents and law breaking actually demands such a situation for an extended period until such time that the effect is felt by every road user

Yes so more checkpoints are welcome.

If it can stop a drunk idiot from driving on the roads, I don't mind being "harassed" by the traffic cops. 

• Like 2