Yingluck appointed head of South China port

snoop1130

23 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Or they have connected legal representation and friends in high-places.  That's usually the deciding factor, regardless of the validity of the levied-charges (of which, I don't pretend to have any idea).

I think it has lot to do with the fact that subsidies are common feature in most countries (even developed) and never used as a political leverage to get rid of a government. Moreover the current junta government also has massive subsidies for rubber and according to the chairman of the rubber southern network was fraught with suspicion and alleged that there was corruption in the scheme. This rather confusing to the world that you have a PM charged with mishandling of the rice scheme while the other junta government was not charged. Trust you can see the nuance better. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

What qualifications does she have for that ?

regards worgeordie

Billionaire sister of billionaire brother who's got even more billions than her.

Chinese roots. 

Both got corruption convictions so well qualified in the important skill of brown envelopes to the right people 555!

46 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I think it has lot to do with the fact that subsidies are common feature in most countries (even developed) and never used as a political leverage to get rid of a government. Moreover the current junta government also has massive subsidies for rubber and according to the chairman of the rubber southern network was fraught with suspicion and alleged that there was corruption in the scheme. This rather confusing to the world that you have a PM charged with mishandling of the rice scheme while the other junta government was not charged. Trust you can see the nuance better. 

The issue with the rice scheme was the amount of fraud, including the fraudulent export orders, facilitated by an apparent total lack of management and accounting management in particular. The fact Yingluck repeatedly stated there was no corruption and never ever bothered turning up the chair the meetings she appointed herself to chair left herself wide open. Corruption is rife but that scheme became an open free for all and out of control.

Yingluck could have been open to other charges, as could members of her family and government but only selective few have been pursued. Just like non of the cases against the Junta or their supporters currently progress. And there could've been a handful. It seems just a few minions get sacrificed each time power changes.

As for this, clearly she's been hand selected based on her skill and knowledge. Just like she picked her ministers!

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Certainly better educated than you and not on benefits either.

You are not fluent in Thai and you ridicule the lady.

The phrase "was real good" is not grammatically correct, yet you criticize her English language skills. Classy.

Do you know what qualifications the poster actually has?

Have you ever seen any of the TV interview recordings when YL tries to speak English? Thank you three times!

Were you impressed with the dynamic way she managed the 2011 floods and her flagship rice scheme?

Her brother owned the company she was CEO of!

Get real.

23 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Taylor's Late Vintage Port. Right up there with Chateau Reynella Vintage port. The memories are flooding back. Your'e a tease!

Dows Fine Old Crusted was always my favourite but living here for twelve years it's become a fine old distant memory !

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

The fact both Thaksins haven't been shipped back to Thailand by now, suggests the rest of the world has a nuanced opinion about all this.

No it doesn't. It suggested they aren't wanted back so nobody really tries.

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I do. Do you have a university education including graduate diplomas, and did you ever run a large multinational company?  You rip into the lady, but who are you? Seriously, where does someone of limited financial means, of low social status and of limited education get off taking  cheap shots at a respected Thai? You don't like her politics. We get it. However, you are not in a position to criticize her skillset, or her education or her capabilities. She loved her nation and tried to do right. 

An American post graduate degree but can hardly speak English. 

Ran an international company - yeah right. Please give examples of decisions she made, and how she was qualified to be in that position. 

She lover her family, her family and her family's bank balances. Period.

Just now, Baerboxer said:

No it doesn't. It suggested they aren't wanted back so nobody really tries.

Both are likely true. 

Thailand junta isn't fooling anyone abroad. 

They also don't want either of them back.  Thaksin is more useful as a boogeyman abroad.   Yingluck here in jail would be more trouble than it's worth.

5 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Assisting in locating and arresting a suspect is not enforcing a warrant?  Then what is?

I think the most you could say is that Interpol provides information that can be used by a country's law enforcement authorities to assist in locating and arresting someone but they do not get directly involved.

Here's how Interpol's website summarizes their activities:

INTERPOL [...] helps police with their work by sending messages, issuing notices and exchanging information.

That's all they do - they do not issue warrants, they do not have people out on the street looking for or apprehending criminals, they basically just provide a clearinghouse for information.

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It was a case of her trying hard to appear to the Thailand masses as "ordinary people," which she's anything but by virtue solely of her family and brother's wealth and status that puts them in an entirely different world than the average Thai citizen.

She showed she's clearly not one of the "ordinary people" by fleeing the country in the face of a justified criminal prosecution and leaving her lieutenants (Cabinet officers) behind to be convicted and sentenced to decades in prison for corruption and abusing their authority in the rice pledging scam, which YL oversaw.

just shows the moral fibre of her and the rest of the feral tribe she belongs to.  

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

Both are likely true. 

Thailand junta isn't fooling anyone abroad. 

They also don't want either of them back.  Thaksin is more useful as a boogeyman abroad.   Yingluck here in jail would be more trouble than it's worth.

.......and then there the cases of the hundreds of exiled Thais of every description.

Never receive the attention nor the great faux angst that the Shins get. 

Something wrong with the big picture and connective tissue, thereof.

On 1/8/2019 at 12:02 PM, piewarmer said:

such a good resume

It may be her performance in the rice scandal that have triggered the hiring....:whistling:

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

The issue with the rice scheme was the amount of fraud, including the fraudulent export orders, facilitated by an apparent total lack of management and accounting management in particular. The fact Yingluck repeatedly stated there was no corruption and never ever bothered turning up the chair the meetings she appointed herself to chair left herself wide open. Corruption is rife but that scheme became an open free for all and out of control.

Yingluck could have been open to other charges, as could members of her family and government but only selective few have been pursued. Just like non of the cases against the Junta or their supporters currently progress. And there could've been a handful. It seems just a few minions get sacrificed each time power changes.

As for this, clearly she's been hand selected based on her skill and knowledge. Just like she picked her ministers!

Really doesn’t matter what you and me opine. The world don’t buy into this and both ex-PM are not worried about being extradited. A big blow to the junta. 

Contrary to your demeaning remark, she was already a successful and wealthy businesswoman before entering politics. She does have the competency to manage a big corporation and I wish her success in her new role. 

This is clearly an indication of a shifting attitude in China toward Thailand. That is the main thing to be gleaned from this news. They are very (China) forward looking, and with the upcoming election, when ever it may be, they are positioning themselves for a different Thailand .

Hello - this is a significant move by China. I don’t know Shinawatras’ historical position with China. But certainly this move by China is anti-coup. Strongly so. What is China trying to achieve? Is this a response to the delay in the previously planned elections?

This is a big deal; putting aside rice scams, English ability, qualifications, Interpol and name calling, any genuine insights are greatly appreciated.

Don’t tell me why it can’t be done; show me how it can - Jim Wright

Before the 1980 economic reform, Mainland China has little corruption because everyone is dirt poor. 
At that time, food and cloth has to be rationed. 
No one was allowed to leave the country; even government officials can't leave the country.
Money was of little use because there was nothing to buy.  

Nonsense. Read Chinese history. The Mandarin system is the most advanced system of distributing and controlling the rewards of corruption created by any known society. Ever. The Chinese are the experts at the art.

I doubt the people who formed the Thai nation needed to be taught corruption, though.

20 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Hello - this is a significant move by China. I don’t know Shinawatras’ historical position with China. But certainly this move by China is anti-coup. Strongly so. What is China trying to achieve? Is this a response to the delay in the previously planned elections?

This is a big deal; putting aside rice scams, English ability, qualifications, Interpol and name calling, any genuine insights are greatly appreciated.

I don't see why the Chinese would be upset about delayed elections, but I agree it is significant - and hopefully good news for those who were worried Thailand was falling too far into China's orbit.

OTOH, her brother is buddies with the Cambodian leader, and Thailand still maintains relations with them - including allowing many of their people to work in Thailand legally - remitting a large portion of their Thai-generated incomes out of the Thai economy.  So, "Business-interests trump personality conflicts," may be the rule of the day - and big money was invested in that port.

Hopefully, China underestimated the backlash, and a powerful faction within Thailand will now begin pushing (and/or push harder) away from China.

On 1/8/2019 at 6:14 AM, bluesofa said:

Ooh, I can sense a little bit of pissed-off anger about to come from Prayut and Prawit very soon.

China snubbing their nose at Big P and the Toad? Thought they were supposed to be the junta's strongest international supporters? I guess that's what happens when your just another lap dog.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

I don't see why the Chinese would be upset about delayed elections, but I agree it is significant - and hopefully good news for those who were worried Thailand was falling too far into China's orbit.

OTOH, her brother is buddies with the Cambodian leader, and Thailand still maintains relations with them - including allowing many of their people to work in Thailand legally - remitting a large portion of their Thai-generated incomes out of the Thai economy.  So, "Business-interests trump personality conflicts," may be the rule of the day - and big money was invested in that port.

Hopefully, China underestimated the backlash, and a powerful faction within Thailand will now begin pushing (and/or push harder) away from China.

Shins bought the ports directly or via proxies, China allowed for the sale to go through, perhaps because China knows little more than we do, or may be because some promises were made at higher levels of future contracts.Its hardly a secret how much junta is disliked and even with all the rigging and restrictions, they still loosing popularity by the min and chances of them winning or hanging around for much longer getting slimmer by the day.

Also perhaps Shins friendship with certain someone residing in Germany and being very quite for past year may have something to do with it, will not rule out his financial interest in the ports either.

Chinese may be short sighted, Chinese government never is, there is a lot more to it than meets the eye ????

Notice generals silence on the matter? funny that, is not it 

On 1/8/2019 at 7:12 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I think China has spoken.

There might be some problems here in the near future.

Problems with Chinese exports arriving in Thailand?

This appointment looks like an obvious poke in the eye to Thailand, I wonder what the back story is. There's obviously more qualified Chinese to run their own port, so why give the job to a foreigner?

19 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

Give me the names of the last 5 people who were extradicted out of China . . .

Why do you ask?

I merely said it would be interesting - to see what the Thai authorities will do next.

She is, arguably, one of Thailand's "most wanted" and most high-profile fugitives. Will they request her arrest/extradition from China? Personally, I think they would be foolish to do so as the inevitable loss of face would be enormous.

Lots of hot air from our beloved PM when YL was known to be in the UK, but there was no real attempt to have her arrested and extradited. Why?

It is now clear how she became chairwoman, she owned a company that bought 70% of the shares in the company that managed the shares. So she did it by just buying up shares with the money she had just like anyone else could do if they had the money.

She was not selected because of any of her so called qualities just a simple buying up shares and then appointing herself.

Nothing wrong with that happens the world over, people with money can do what they want.

Fun part of this story is that she has a Cambodian passport that was probably used to flee Thailand even though Cambodia said they never gave her a passport. So the junta might be right that they did not help her to flee, she made her own preparations and of course will never admit it as it gives a good egg on the face of the junta. I wonder who i need to trust both sides are liars.

Archived