Thailand vs. Malaysia, some observations

Poopyface

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

what a childish thing to say. So if you dislike being bored then you must be alcoholic? 
Dodging cars ? that doesn't even make sense

First of all what I said was a joke, so 'simmer down now'.

If you actually read my post, then the snide one-liner he followed with, it might make more sense to you.

I listed a number of things and he said "boring"

Pretty basic math here actually.

But I get it, you were bored, thanks for sharing, I guess thats it, run along now...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I was in KL for a month a few years back and the pollution was unbearable, so I spent most of the time ill. I believe that mass burning was taking place in the island of Sumatra (Indonesia) at the time so I don't know how prevalent this is. So I don't think you can escape it.

What time of year was that?

My whole point about the pollution is that yes it can be escaped, I'm doing just that.

Actually Bangkok is faring far better than Chiang Mai at present, Pattaya looks good and the southern islands are fine.

Just look at the air quality index maps...

I will take it as it comes and leave accordingly when necessary. 

I love Thailand and look forward to more time in the north when rainy season starts.

But right now you couldn't pay me to go to Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I was in KL for a month a few years back and the pollution was unbearable, so I spent most of the time ill. I believe that mass burning was taking place in the island of Sumatra (Indonesia) at the time so I don't know how prevalent this is. So I don't think you can escape it.

Indeed Malaysia is covered with fire smog from Indonesia every year - often extending into Southern Thailand.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poopyface said:

-far less numbers of rude Chinese mainland tourists cutting in front of us in line and coughing in our faces. 

The local Chinese lads will take care of that for you, proudly displaying rudeness and poor hygiene.

But most of the older Chinese there speak good English as a a result of the education system they are not part of, and are pretty approachable people, generally.  I stayed in Penang in the Georgetown area, it still has some quaintness and I enjoy walking around at night.  There are nicer areas with better accommodation, but they are not as interesting.  The second biggest celebration in Penang is the Hungry Ghost festival, usually in August.  Check it out if you can, it goes on for about 2 weeks.

I revolved around SEA on the visa shuffle for some years, Malaysia has (had?) a good visa deal, 3 months at a time, then a run to the border and back. 

I hear ya with that thing about smoking, and the Indonesians are possibly worse.

I'll leave discussion of wet floors for another post.

• Like 2