<deleted> this I'm outta here! Why do you stay?

lucky2008

9 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Pattaya!

Pattaya+Bar+sign.jpg

good place if you are mainly here for mongering and staying indoors... however if you so a study you will see now there is terrible air quality here for the high season starting november and ending around march... the result of traffic, burning and factories.... not a good choice for the long run...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Uh, the air quality is a passing thing, which you'd know if you did a modicum of research. 

What next? Too rainy in the rainy season? 

..too sore after a massage.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Instead of whining, do what many people do - take holidays in March to escape the smog, it's not rocket science. 

I'm typing this from Southern China after having left Chiang Mai a week ago and I know many other acquaintances who live in Chiang Mai the rest of the year are currently traveling as well.

The smog is bad in March - it always has been so plan for it. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Instead of whining, do what many people do - take holidays in March to escape the smog, it's not rocket science. 

Some of us have children. It's not as easy as you might think to just pack up and leave. 

Also there are many people on a fixed budget which can't afford to travel. 

And then there are the people that just rather not travel. 

Seriously, do you think the air is only bad in March? ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

You are correct in that the air quality is unacceptable for any intelligent being. You either stay and put up with it or find an alternative. Unfortunately for me I have had to stay here this year and I have suffered daily. 

Normally, I like to head south to the beaches for a couple of months. A friend took off for Mexico this year and went to Turkey another year. If you have the means then getting out of town is a great idea and the beaches down south mean you do not have to leave Thailand. 

For me the best option is living in CM and going south every year. I know a number of people who do the same. If that does not seem like something you want to do then moving south permanently might suit you better. 

It is a real problem for many people and it is never going to get fixed.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Its polluted everywhere to some extent. The only place ive lived and never had pollution worries was rawai and khaolak. ive lived in 9 other provinces and they all suck. I lived in bkk which is always talked about and cm for just a year but kanchanaburi where i am now is by far the worst ive seen and dont believe the online reporting. Make sure youve got your own pm2.5 counter!

i was out side fighting fires yesterday alone with no help from orbator or anyone. Fires lit in public land by government officials because of their greed to take bamboo to sell, ferment, etc.. I saved my farm and about 15-20rai was lost. I fought the fires for 4hours alone with not even one another local contemplating picking up a bucket so my house wouldnt burn. fn pricks! Burning anything is illegal at the moment but not here really. People are calling for assistance everyday and no one is doing anything. Its all a sham...

That sounds horrible!! I so am sorry I really feel for you. I also live on a good size plot of land 20km outside of Chiang Mai, and the neighbors are constantly burning shit laughing carrying on while drinking Thai whisky. <deleted> idiots! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lucky2008 said:

Like I said to some people it's nothing, but for those of us that have children it's a major concern.  Yes, even if it's only a passing thing, and only a couple months throughout the year.  I guess you have to have small children to truly understand how I feel. 

Not only do pollutants harm babies’ developing lungs – they can permanently damage their developing brains. A young child’s brain is especially vulnerable because it can be damaged by a smaller dosage of toxic chemicals, compared to an adult’s brain. Children are also highly vulnerable to air pollution because they breathe more rapidly and also because their physical defenses and immune system are not fully developed.

I really think it's hard to overstate the influence air pollution has on human health. 

Anyways why don't you share with us some of the GOOD reasons you stay here in Chiang Mai?  I'm sure there are many people such as yourself that are not really concerned about the pollution, and would still love to know what makes Chiang Mai so great to so many expats. 

You are spot on about your children, and it is nice to see a parent putting their children's needs front and center.

Most like Chiang Mai because the weather is a little cooler, as one of TH's largest cities it has many resources, there are many other expats there, it is affordable, has a good airport, decent hospital, lots of affordable and nice houses to rent, and is much more relaxed than Bangkok.

I personally prefer to live in Bangkok, then travel to the more relaxed places to get away. But I would not necessarily recommend BKK to someone with children - it is a mixed bag. As mentioned, Udon is a favorite for many Farang, and for many reasons similar to Chiang Mai, although still having issues with the air although better. Hua Hin is very nice, although a bit pricey, and a bit lacking on some points (schools, entertainment, etc.), but I have always enjoyed visiting, and it has a large expat community.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Understand about the Laos angle but the cost to go over is 1500 baht and you are limited to two a year of I'm not mistaken. Be great if you could do as many as you like but I don't think that's the case. 

multi entry permit, go as often as you like

• Like 2

I read or heard someplace that farmers have to burn due to mold or fungus or insects or some other kind of infestation prevention or all of the above. If that isn’t done, then the crops will die. So, isn’t there an alternative that benefits everyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Not really had much problem in CM last few years, 

This year had a racking cough since december, the worst .

Flew down to bkk then cha -am.. in Feb   .12 hours later completely gone , stayed a few days

Back to bkk ,then Cm. yep ,coughing like a goodun.

69 now , not a good age to up sticks, going back there for a month....maybe needs must for healths sake.

• Sad 1