Card left in the ATM - do I need a police report?

Idiot here got distracted and left his SCB ATM card in a BKK Bank machine.

Of course the machine is far from home so no possibility of going and asking in the branch if they have recovered the card.

Are SCB likely to ask for a police report before issuing a new card? I need to plan around other stuff so some pre-knowledge would be handy.

I will be going to my "home" SCB branch to sort the issue.

• Haha 1

When i forgot my Krungsri debit card in the ATM, i just called them, they cancelled the card. The next day i went to the Krungsri branch, presented bank book and passport, had to pay 100THB and got a new card. Should be similar with SCB.

• Thanks 1

Just now, jackdd said:

When i forgot my Krungsri debit card in the ATM, i just called them, they cancelled the card. The next day i went to the Krungsri branch, presented bank book and passport, had to pay 100THB and got a new card. Should be similar with SCB.

Almost exactly the same as my experience with Bangkok Bank.

It must be that time of year, maybe the heat !! I just did the same with my SCB card 2 days ago. Only realised yesterday, so went straight into an SCB branch in Big C. They used my passbook and Thai driving licence, new card issued within 15mins and old one cancelled. Cost 100 baht ????

• Like 2

Just now, ricklev said:

In the USA the money doesn't come out until the card is removed.  In Thailand the card doesn't come out until after the money is dispensed.  Seems like a strange decision to do it in that order.

I bank with ANZ in Australia. They have implemented PayWave at their ATMs so I just touch the ATM with my iPhone, it retrieves my Apple Pay details and asks for my PIN. No card required.  I'm sure it's not alone in utilising that approach - there must be US banks that also do it. Another reason for Thailand to catch up with the modern world

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

diot here got distracted and left his SCB ATM card in a BKK Bank machine.

Of course the machine is far from home so no possibility of going and asking in the branch if they have recovered the card.

Are SCB likely to ask for a police report before issuing a new card? I need to plan around other stuff so some pre-knowledge would be handy.

I will be going to my "home" SCB branch to sort the issue.

The ATM usually swallows the card if its not taken in a certain amount of time. Thats presuming nobody was behind you and took it. A good chance the card may even be returned to your branch or already cancelled by SCB, and they will be aware you lost it..

1 hour ago, JWRC said:

I made this mistake, went to the bank, who wouldn't do anything without a police report first. As with most things here. no one set rule, it will depend on your bank.

Seriously? Never heard of this. Maybe if u lost your bank passbook.  Least they can do is cancel the card immediately.

• Like 1

I realized I'd lost my Krung Thai ATM card a couple of weeks ago. The account is mainly used for on line bill payments so I've rarely used the ATM. The last time was probably more than a month ago but I couldn't even remamber where. I just needed my pink ID card as proof of ID. After confirming the card hadn't been handed in and no attempt had been made to use it, the card was cancelled and a new one was issued. The good news was that, because the bank was in the process of changing cards with four digit pins to new cards with six digit pins, she put the new card down as an upgrade and it was totally free. No charge for the lost card.

You are not alone in your idiocy. I have done this not less than 4 times over the years.

You don't need a police report or anything like that. Call the bank as soon as you realize it so that they cancel the card then go in to the bank to get a new one. Anywhere form 100 - 500 baht to do this.

Machines here DO dispense cash before you take out the card (it is the opposite in Cambodia and US), and thereby is the problem. Plus there is a delay in the card coming out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

what's with all you folks leaving cards in ATM's .....  I thought the machine's won't dispense the cash until your card is taken out of the slot ... ?  I know mine won't .

were you all drunk at the time :whistling:

Looks like you never used an ATM in Thailand. Here in Thailand the ATMs give you the money first, then ask if you want a receipt, and then give you the card.

• Like 1

I've done it a couple of times with my Singapore issued ATM card.  Once at a KBank ATM and once at an AEON one.  Both were stand-alone machines in shopping centres.  Each time, I went to the main branch in the town where it happened and they told me when to come back, as any cards in the machine are retrieved when they are opened, with Thai cards returned to their issuing bank's branch and international ones kept for a certain period before being destroyed (according to the manager).  In both cases, I gave a description of the card appearance, plus ID, and it was immediately returned to me.  I now keep a photo of the card on my phone, (and try to use an ATM physically attached to a bank), but luckily it hasn't happened again.  So far...

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

what's with all you folks leaving cards in ATM's .....  I thought the machine's won't dispense the cash until your card is taken out of the slot ... ?  I know mine won't .

Which bank's machines are you claiming work that way in Thailand?  I've never found one that does that here.  Perhaps you were drunk at the time?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

I bank with ANZ in Australia. They have implemented PayWave at their ATMs so I just touch the ATM with my iPhone, it retrieves my Apple Pay details and asks for my PIN. No card required.  I'm sure it's not alone in utilising that approach - there must be US banks that also do it. Another reason for Thailand to catch up with the modern world

Thailand catch up with the modern world.  That makes me laugh when in Australia it still takes over 24 hours to transfer money between two bank accounts, whereas in the UK, Thailand and probably most of the rest of the world, it is instantaneous and has been for a long time. In my opinion and judging from the findings in the recent Financial Services Royal Commission into misconduct in banking in Australia, I would say that it's Australia that has a long way to go to catch up. 

With regards to the question asked by the OP.  With my Kasikorn bank I simply go to my bank with my bank passbook and passport, cancel the old card I left in the ATM and I have done it a couple of times, pay a 200 baht fee and they issue me with a new card.  No police report required. I'm happy enough with that.

Edited by mikosan

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

Crossy, this is your first time?  WOW!!  As jackdd said above and confirmed by others, call and cancel, than go to any SCB branch with your passbook and passport to get another issued.  There is no need to go to your issuing bank.

BKK will not be holding the card in order to 'give it back'.

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

I left mine, I was only checking my balance and after reading it walked away, ATMs ‘swallow’ the card, Bangkok Bank gave me a new one for 300 Baht.

As a previous poster said some ATMs in some countries issue the cash first then the card after.

• Like 1

The bleeps coming from the ATM have saved me on more than a couple of occasions. Luckily there was no queue so I just quickly retraced my steps, after realising the bleeps were directed at me, and grabbed it back before the machine took the card.

Only recall having a card get swallowed by the ATM way back in the 80's. Luckily it was attached to a branch, not open at the time but was able to get the card back (UK bank) when it opened. Am sure the cash/card timing issue was the cause of the confusion at that time. Now, just old age..........