Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

I am surprised to have heard very little from Alexrrr or TheChooks regarding Sunday's big match

ST KILDA v MELBOURNE

I am guessing neither is feeling confident about their team being the best

I didn't want to poke him. I will be at Etihad for the game and have a pass to the rooms for the son and myself after the game.

I should hope nottongue.png

A genuine fitty fitty this one.

get your mind back on the game. Yes it's a real 50/50 and a toss of the coin. Both sides are still in the equation for the eight with 7 games remaining, not totally spent yet but chances probably unlikely. The Demons have been rebuilding for 12 yrs and the saints for 5 so they are coming along a lot quicker.

I have to go with my heart on this one but expect the Demons to break the drought of 13 consecutive losses to the saints.

I am surprised to have heard very little from Alexrrr or TheChooks regarding Sunday's big match

ST KILDA v MELBOURNE

Yep mate we play that ordinary team again but there only ordinary to everyone else i have gone for the Saints because its at Eithad the Saints have a habit of terrorising us there and we dont play that ground well, we knocked off someone there late last year so its doable just depends which St Kilda turns up.

I just don't know which way to go with this one. The demons haven't won at Etihad since 2002 and haven't beaten that ordinary team St Kilda for 10 years. When the saints bring thier main game they can beat anyone but the last couple of weeks they have been a little down. I am tipping the saints in a close one.

Im tipping Melbourne for this one. This is a good test for them.

well let's hope the trip to Darwin and the humid conditions sapped a little out of them last week.

ST KILDA v MELBOURNE

I didn't want to poke him. I will be at Etihad for the game and have a pass to the rooms for the son and myself after the game.

Ahhhh spoken like a true champ, keep us guessing with you mind games WILL..... Saints normaly would kill us in this game, should be closer as were better, and yes Chooks its time to turn the tables on ya all but i aint putting my pick on the Dee's, you guys normaly Wip us good in this game every season at Eithad and 1 win since 2006 there, yeah i have a better chance winning lotto.

ST KILDA v MELBOURNE

Yep mate we play that ordinary team again but there only ordinary to everyone else i have gone for the Saints because its at Eithad the Saints have a habit of terrorising us there and we dont play that ground well, we knocked off someone there late last year so its doable just depends which St Kilda turns up.

I just don't know which way to go with this one. The demons haven't won at Etihad since 2002 and haven't beaten that ordinary team St Kilda for 10 years. When the saints bring thier main game they can beat anyone but the last couple of weeks they have been a little down. I am tipping the saints in a close one.

Im tipping Melbourne for this one. This is a good test for them.

The Kid is taking a roughie chooks.....

ST KILDA v MELBOURNE

get your mind back on the game. Yes it's a real 50/50 and a toss of the coin. Both sides are still in the equation for the eight with 7 games remaining, not totally spent yet but chances probably unlikely. The Demons have been rebuilding for 12 yrs and the saints for 5 so they are coming along a lot quicker.

I have to go with my heart on this one but expect the Demons to break the drought of 13 consecutive losses to the saints.

Money in the bank with interest .....gees whats with all the pessimists in here today?

ST KILDA v MELBOURNE

Ahhhh spoken like a true champ, keep us guessing with you mind games WILL..... Saints normaly would kill us in this game, should be closer as were better, and yes Chooks its time to turn the tables on ya all but i aint putting my pick on the Dee's, you guys normaly Wip us good in this game every season at Eithad and 1 win since 2006 there, yeah i have a better chance winning lotto.

playing mind games there Alex, scared I'm going to be on top after this week?
  • Like 2

I didn't want to poke him

. I will be at Etihad for the game and have a pass to the rooms for the son and myself after the game.

playing mind games there Alex, scared I'm going to be on top after this week?

Reading these comments I had to check and make sure St Kilda wasn't in the Top 4 this year.

• Like 2

ST KILDA v MELBOURNE

I should hope not:P​

Haha! The psychology is working.

Just over an hour to bouncdown.

Maybe have to tip on the toss.

What is Chimpys pick?

ST KILDA v MELBOURNE

I should hope not[emoji14]​

What is Chimpys pick?

Chimps reckons it will be a 30 or 40 point. blowout to either team. first quarter winner will win the game

Now the Saints boys know Chooks will be visiting post game that could play on their minds

• Like 2

ST KILDA v MELBOURNE

I should hope not[emoji14]​

What is Chimpys pick?

Chimps reckons it will be a 30 or 40 point. blowout to either team. first quarter winner will win the game

Now the Saints boys know Chooks will be visiting post game that could play on their minds

I'm seated and no human under 10 has ever seen the demons beat the saints. There wasn't twitter, Pokemon go and facebook was a new craze
  • Like 1

Q1 leaders to win the game works for me.

Just need Christian Petracca to score 100++ points to give my fantasy team a leg up.

Melb should have been 2 more up in the first q.. squandered some inside 50 entries.

that second q melb needed to shut Membrey down early and didn't. slow to bring an extra into defence... and very poor allowing that goal with 5 seconds to go..

Saints gained some confidence and found a target inside 50 a little easy a couple of time

looks like the umps are not calling holding the ball today

I think melbourne can come back 2nd half and win this one

• Like 1

Well home now, pleasant Sunday afternoon out with the son at Etihad, got to meet a few players in the rooms after the game and a photo with his favourite, Jack Steven. McDonald's then a quick 20 minute train ride.

Oh did I mention the Saints won? Please forgive my disrespect ALEX but after 10 years of constant defeats I thought you would have known.

ALEX please note, the saints will play the demons again next year, book a weekend away.

As you said, the Saints are only an average side so when are the demons going to reach an average standard? New decade coming and saints getting a sore foot and demon arse is turning to jelly after a decade of kicking.

Edited by Thechook
  • Like 2

Well home now, pleasant Sunday afternoon out with the son at Etihad, got to meet a few players in the rooms after the game and a photo with his favourite, Jack Steven. McDonald's then a quick 20 minute train ride.

Oh did I mention the Saints won? Please forgive my disrespect ALEX but after 10 years of constant defeats I thought you would have known.

ALEX please note, the saints will play the demons again next year, book a weekend away.

As you said, the Saints are only an average side so when are the demons going to reach an average standard? New decade coming and saints getting a sore foot and demon arse is turning to jelly after a decade of kicking.

That was a good comeback from St Kilda. Melbourne looked like they were going to blow the game apart and win by 60 points. Melb totally fluffed some inside 50s first quarter and could have been two more goals up. Likewise second quarter..Melbourne made 17 inside 50s for 0.3

Saints came back second quarter with 6 straight to zip for Melbourne... Melbourne had one purple patch after that and got back to within 10 in the last quarter....but Saints blew it out to 40 odd.

Tim Membrey is having a purple patch. I wasn't keen on Sydney losing him at the time, and he would fit nicely into our forward structure right now.

Why not invite Alex into the St Kilda rooms next year? Happy snap of the two of you together...

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

Dear mr CHOOKS, thee my gloat but as i have said a few times in the past, playing in the big league is about winning premierships and the last time i looked the Dee's have 12 to the Saints 1, and for the record only the Hawks, Woods, Blues and Bombers are ahead of us in the tally.

I expect that next season the tables will turn if not not matter because its that one day in september that we been to a hell of a lot more than thee....bless you and say three our fathers and 5 hails marys.

• Like 2

Tipping results are in and the winner this week is Thechook!

Chooks has tipped a very nice 8/9 to win the week and move into 2nd place on the ladder!

The tipsters have stretched out ever so slightly now with 6 points separating the top 10...Still..anyone in the top 10 could realistically still win this year. Carlton, Essendon, St Kilda, Port, and Fremantle are all outside the 8 but are playing like they can all produce an upset against the top 8 teams.

Chookas 8/9 sees him leapfrog into third place on 105 points equal with alexRRR..with KhunWilly Wonka still heading the list on 106 points

You didn't mention his nice margin.

Tipping is tight this year and may have something to do with the evenness of the AFL competition. Any team down to 10th can mathematically make the 8 and the top 6 in the 8 aren't confirmed as has been in previous years at this time of the season. Everything is still wide open.

• Like 2

Dear mr CHOOKS, thee my gloat but as i have said a few times in the past, playing in the big league is about winning premierships and the last time i looked the Dee's have 12 to the Saints 1, and for the record only the Hawks, Woods, Blues and Bombers are ahead of us in the tally.

I expect that next season the tables will turn if not not matter because its that one day in september that we been to a hell of a lot more than thee....bless you and say three our fathers and 5 hails marys.

I'm not sure of the past...

but i know this century the swans have been in 4 grand finals.. and missed the finals maybe once

ESSENDON rookie Gach Nyuon could face a club-imposed sanction after being detained by police on Saturday night for being drunk and disorderly in a public place.

The 19-year-old was allegedly involved in a verbal altercation with an Uber driver on Brunswick Street and was released by police without charge on Sunday morning.

The Bombers issued a statement on Sunday evening to confirm the incident, adding they would now consider whether to penalise Nyuon.

"The club has spoken to Gach, and club management will consult with the leadership group to determine if any further action is required," the statement said.

"The club will provide an update when appropriate."

Nyuon had earlier taken part in the VFL Bombers' three-point win against Box Hill at Windy Hill.

post-250579-0-83457600-1468798243_thumb.

• Like 2

The Tackle: Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes for Round 17

LET’S start with the dislikes this week because North Melbourne is officially now making up the numbers.

Ruckman Todd Goldstein isn’t having an impact and several of the team’s leaders aren’t pulling their weight.

Mark Robinson reveals his likes and dislikes from Round 17.

DISLIKES

1. North Melbourne

THE headlines were centred on the deliberate behind against Mick Firrito, but that’s exactly why the rule was brought in. The way bigger issue is the performance.

Five consecutive losses and six from their past seven weeks has the team in free fall. Arrived with a knife for a gunfight and the game was over at quarter-time.

Weren’t mentally and physically ready to save their season and even if they fill eighth spot, and despite it being tight at the top of the ladder, North Melbourne can’t win the flag. They’re cooked.

2. Todd Goldstein

JACKSON Trengove’s move to the ruck was by necessity more than design and if you were to argue pre-game that he would beat Todd Goldstein, you would’ve been told you had rocks in your head.

The spotlight is yet again on Drew Petrie, who couldn’t get it done, but the spotlight should also be on Goldstein.

The game’s premier ruckman hurt his knee In Round 10 v Sydney and despite a whopping 65 hit-outs against West Coast last week, hasn’t had a huge impact since the injury. Trengove got him around

the ground on Saturday which was a significant one-on-one win for Port Adelaide.

3. Scott’s top men

AND Brad Scott talked about his leaders. So, who’s he really talking about? One of them is Ben Cunnington. Nineteen possessions against West Coast the week before and just 20 against Port Adelaide

is not enough disposals even in a team that promotes even contribution. Scott Thompson was down in defence.

Petrie is still in his slump and needed to kick that goal in the third quarter, as did several of his teammates in the same quarter. There’s no hiding this week. It’s Collingwood on Friday, and the nation will be watching.

4. Swans at the death

CAN’T get it done when it matters most. Of all the moments they had control of on Thursday night, it was the stoppage where Jordan Lewis went third-man up in the ruck which did them over. Lewis did it against Crows

and the Hawks won the game and he did it against the Swans for the same result. If one of the Swans mids stopped Lewis from jumping, the Swans probably win.

5. Eagles at the ’G

THEY won, they will take the four points and get back on the plane and get home. But they didn’t convince anyone they have mastered playing at the MCG. The Blues can be a thorny side but you’d think the Eagles

wouldn’t have made it so difficult. Worrying that Carlton ran over them in the final quarter, kicking five goals to two, because better opposition will confront them next time.

6. Josh Kennedy at ‘G

TWO goals on Sunday from eight possessions was a quiet return and the MCG has been a quiet ground for him. Kennedy has played 26 times at the ‘G for eight wins, a draw and 17 losses and kicked just 40.24.

At Subiaco, it’s 234 goals from 89 games. Kennedy is one of 22 players, but it doesn’t help the argument that he and Eagles are flat-track bullies at home.

7. Gold Coast bashing

RODNEY Eade hasn’t had a run at it in two years and on the weekend went into the game virtually without his first unit midfield. That they were able to avoid a walloping from the Dogs suggests the spirit within

the Suns is strong. It was 42 points the difference at halftime and 48 points at full-time. They were allowed to roll over considering the circumstances but they didn’t, which gives Rocket plenty of positives to work with.

Like Miller and Kolodjashnij, and Ah Chee and Martin are coming along nicely.

8. Come on Sellars

MARK Maclure has an argument about cheap possessions for Dustin Martin, but the cheapies can’t totally wipe out the influential possessions. Martin had career-highs in disposals (43), kicks (35),

contested possessions (22) and clearances (14) and his ranking points of 153 was the fourth highest of his career. Yes, Ben Griffiths was solid — he got the three votes from Maclure — but we’ll learn soon enough what the coaches thought.

9. Slow Demons — again

RAN out of speed and puff in the final quarter on Sunday, which is not uncommon for Melbourne at Etihad Stadium. Beaten earlier in the season at the same ground by the same team, coach Paul Roos said his

team was too slow. He’d probably say the same. That and not enough contributors. They are a frustrating team, the Demons. They play finals-type footy at the ‘G and then get exposed like mugs at Etihad. This should’ve been a 10-goal loss.

1. Tim Membrey

JUST 23 game to his name, but right now he’s the No.1 key forward for the Saints. In the past five games, he’s kicked five, one, two, five and another four goals on Sunday against Melbourne. Just 22, he,

Paddy McCartin and Josh Bruce will form a formidable forward trio in the coming years.

When the Demons decided to challenge the Saints in the third quarter, it was Membrey who was one of the Saints to say no. He works hard defensively, he’s tough to be beat one-on-one and has 32 goals form 11 games. He’s a keeper.

2. Kade Simpson

IT’S been a weekend for veterans and Simpson continues an outstanding season. Recently wrote about toughness in the competition and pound for pound this bloke is right up there. He was again at the forefront on

Sunday with another All-Australian contender Sam Docherty and although gallantry doesn’t get you four points, Blues fans would rapt with the resolve in the final quarter.

3. Adelaide

THEY are becoming the complete team. We know their weapons forward, but it’s the defensive machinations which has turned this team into the strong premiership contender. Since Round 9, the Crows rank third for

points conceded (70.4 per game) and are the hardest side to score against from clearances (conceding 19 points per game), which prompts the question: Is it system or personnel? After losing Patrick Dangerfield, the argument for system is valid.

4. Justin Westhoff

HAS spent his career floating between the “likes” and “dislikes” which probably mirrors Port Adelaide. When he’s interested, Port is a much better team. Dominated the first quarter against North Melbourne and finished with 30 touches,

three goals and 136 ranking points. He’s an interesting discussion, Westhoff. Is he a great player, a good player or will he be known as a frustrating player? Probably lean to the third.

5. Daniel Rioli

IT’S the contributions from youngsters that should excite Tigers fans and they should be excited about Daniel Rioli. His calmness with the ball and goal in the last quarter, when the Dons were pressing, is the kind of experience

that will propel his development. Just 11 touches, but an equal team-high five tackles. He didn’t get votes, but neither did Dustin Martin from Mark Maclure.

6. The Danger debate

HE’S cruising to his first Brownlow Medal after another three votes, and now the debate centres around where’s his most damaging position: midfield of forward? He kicked four goals against the Dockers and,

yes, he spent 30 per cent of game time forward, his second highest percentage in a game this season. His highest was 40 per cent against Gold Coast in Round 6. But the numbers tells us coach Chris Scott

prefers him in the middle. From Rounds 1-9, it was 79-21 per cent midfield/forward. From Rounds 10-17, it’s been 88-12 midfield/forward.

7. Shaun Burgoyne

WHEN Burgoyne was to play his 300th game, teammate Jordan Lewis almost started crying when he spoke of what a special player and person Burgoyne is. So Lewis should’ve been sobbing with pride after watching

Burgoyne’s performance on Thursday night. Changed the momentum of the game in the midfield after quarter-time and finished with 26 disposals, 11 tackles, 10 clearances and seven inside 50s. Surely he gets the 10 votes from the coaches.

8. Corey Enright

THE Cats great will equal the 325 games record of Ian Nankervis this weekend and as a present the Cats should hand him a contract for 2017. If it’s up to coach Chris Scott, it’s a given Enright will continue his career.

But it will be Enright’s decision. More pressing is the fact, at almost 35, Enright is pushing for All-Australian honours.

9. Lachie Neale

HE has the most possessions in the league — another 26 on Friday night — which is staggering for a player in a team languishing near the bottom of the ladder. Neale’s re-signing was the second most important signature at the

Dockers, the most important being Nat Fyfe’s signature to extend his contract beyond 2017. Neale’s not worried about Fyfe skipping via free agency. Asked on Saturday, he was quick to remind everyone that Fyfe has said he bleeds purple.

10. Clay Smith

HAS helped fill the role of high half-forward in the absence of Luke Dahlhaus and coach Luke Beveridge would be rapt. So much so, and it’s only on the back of three games, Smith is playing his way into the best 22.

Against the Suns it was 17 disposals, six marks and he kicked 3.4. It helps, too, that he’d kill you to win the ball.

• Like 1

Welcome to the clubs fella'stongue.png

Michael Talia arrested for possession of drugs

SYDNEY Swan Michael Talia was arrested early Sunday morning in Double Bay and charged with being in possession of a quantity of a prohibited substance.

He will appear in the Waverley Local Court next month.

Swans general manager of football Tom Harley says club takes the matter very seriously.

"It's extremely disappointing to have one of our players in this situation," Harley said in a statement.

More to come

• Like 2

SYDNEY Swan Michael Talia was arrested early Sunday morning in Double Bay and charged with being in possession of a quantity of a prohibited substance.

Swans general manager of football Tom Harley says club takes the matter very seriously.

"It's extremely disappointing to have one of our players in this situation," Harley said in a statement.

More to come

Here's a bit more...

Probably gets a "Section 10" and won't play for the Swans again this year. Will pay his dues and do his penance and will be back in time for NAB Cup 2017...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-18/michael-talia-arrested-for-possession-of-drugs-

SYDNEY Swans defender Michael Talia has been stood down by the club after being arrested for drug possession on Sunday morning.

Talia, 23, was arrested in Sydney's eastern suburbs and has been charged with being in possession of a quantity of a prohibited substance and will appear in Waverley Local Court next month.

Swans general manager of football Tom Harley said the club was taking the matter very seriously.

"It's extremely disappointing to have one of our players in this situation," he said.

"Given the seriousness of the charges we have made the decision to stand Michael (Talia) down from training and club activities as we gather the facts.

"Our decision is in no way a reflection of judgment, but rather an interim measure as the matter is investigated by police.

"All of our players are educated about drug use and the AFL's illicit drugs policy, as well as our club's firm view on drug issues.

"We will work through this matter with Michael from a legal, welfare and education perspective to ensure he receives the necessary support."

The defender has played just one game for the Swans this season, against Collingwood in round one.

After suffering a severe foot injury against the Magpies he was placed on the club's long-term injury list.

Talia arrived in Sydney from the Western Bulldogs at the end of last year via the trade period after his time at Whitten Oval ended in controversy.

Following their loss to Adelaide in the 2015 elimination final, the Bulldogs asked the AFL's integrity unit to investigate rumours of game-sensitive information being shared by Talia – who wasn't picked for the game - with his brother, Crows defender Daniel, ahead of the match.

The investigation cleared Talia of any wrongdoing, but his time at the Dogs ended on a sour note.

• Like 1

More to come

Here's a bit more...

Probably gets a "Section 10" and won't play for the Swans again this year. Will pay his dues and do his penance and will be back in time for NAB Cup 2017...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-18/michael-talia-arrested-for-possession-of-drugs-

SYDNEY Swans defender Michael Talia has been stood down by the club after being arrested for drug possession on Sunday morning.

Talia, 23, was arrested in Sydney's eastern suburbs and has been charged with being in possession of a quantity of a prohibited substance and will appear in Waverley Local Court next month.

Swans general manager of football Tom Harley said the club was taking the matter very seriously.

"It's extremely disappointing to have one of our players in this situation," he said.

"Given the seriousness of the charges we have made the decision to stand Michael (Talia) down from training and club activities as we gather the facts.

"Our decision is in no way a reflection of judgment, but rather an interim measure as the matter is investigated by police.

"All of our players are educated about drug use and the AFL's illicit drugs policy, as well as our club's firm view on drug issues.

"We will work through this matter with Michael from a legal, welfare and education perspective to ensure he receives the necessary support."

The defender has played just one game for the Swans this season, against Collingwood in round one.

After suffering a severe foot injury against the Magpies he was placed on the club's long-term injury list.

Talia arrived in Sydney from the Western Bulldogs at the end of last year via the trade period after his time at Whitten Oval ended in controversy.

Following their loss to Adelaide in the 2015 elimination final, the Bulldogs asked the AFL's integrity unit to investigate rumours of game-sensitive information being shared by Talia – who wasn't picked for the game - with his brother, Crows defender Daniel, ahead of the match.

The investigation cleared Talia of any wrongdoing, but his time at the Dogs ended on a sour note.

Chimps was out with Michael Saturday night , but he swears this has nothing to do with him. Personally i was a bit suspicious when Chimps came home and started vacuuming the carpets and cleaning the skirting boards at 5am.

I was just thinking the other week the Swans were doing well to avoid any drugs controversies of late. I guess this is what happens when we recruit a Western bulldogs reject...

I was hoping to see him play down back again this year..with Zak Jones injured now..all the more needed. Maybe we can move Teddy back down back and his brother Xavier can go forward