Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

11 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

On the other hand, not being buddhist, but having spent some time in two remote temples in Thailand, that were a long jouney of a few days to get to, I was honestly struck by the compassion of these Monks truly living in a very isolated setting. They truly live their entire life in service to the visitors of the Temple, and I assume to foster the teaching of the Buddha through selfless action. I have also seen similiar actions by the Missionairies of Charity founded by Mother Theresa. Amazing people.

The more we move away from religion the more need for psychologists needed, the same for buddhist monks, they serve their communties for the better for those who is in need, and give them hope for future as comfort for now. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

In the 21st Century and with the access to information that we have, to believe in a god means you are either lonely, deluded, or disingenuous. Cos all they have is faith. 

You will be labeled a "troll" by some for your comment. I was and still am by at least 2 and it's simply and obviously not at all the case...and they know it. 

• Confused 1

On 4/14/2019 at 10:40 PM, reenatinnakor said:

Every culture have their own beliefs and comfort system and superstitions. We all know here in Thailand monks are revered and Thais think they can grant wishes... Which as we all know is <deleted>, as I keep telling the gf, if monks really could grant wishes then there'll be no poor people in thailand. For the west the idea of jesus and god is our comfort system. For the chinese it's the idea of bai san, or respecting the dead.

I'm atheist and only believe in science but I do respect others superstitions and beliefs as long as they respect mine to not believe! Off course at the end of the day there is definitely no God like there was no Zeus, or Thor, or Posseidon. Man just hasn't had enough time to prove it yet. Last week we were finally able to see what a black hole looks like. One day we will be able to prove there's no God despite the fact that the burden of proof should be on those that believe there is a God.

There is no scientic proof that can be argued successfully for the existance of God, or the Christian God or any God, that is not the same thing as saying there is no evidence. All of the arguments for proving God all fail. If there was in existence some proof, then there would be no need of faith. God has not sufficiently shown his existance to me in a way that would negate my reasons for have faith in what is unknown.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

I do understand the concept of infinite. Quite clearly.

Lucky you !

But it's difficult to explain with words i guess.

I have my theory about infinite too, but i would have a problem explaining it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tagged said:

The more we move away from religion the more need for psychologists needed, the same for buddhist monks, they serve their communties for the better for those who is in need, and give them hope for future as comfort for now. 

Can i say that i am very surprised to hear these words from you ?

Not that i completely agree anyway..

3 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

If there was in existence some proof, then there would be no need of faith.

Fact is, there are ways you can find proof. I laid them out several times here. No need to rely on faith alone, direct experience is the only way to get all the evidence you'll ever need.
The question is, are you (and all the others who deny Its existence) willing to find out?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

If there was in existence some proof, then there would be no need of faith.

What you call faith, i call open mind.

Faith can help doing great things though, and sometimes bad things.

Relying exclusively on the physical senses, is that enough for the sake of knowledge ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Can i say that i am very surprised to hear these words from you ?

Not that i completely agree anyway..

Im quite surprised you are! 

Common base give hope, consistent and strong faith as purpose. Today, many people are in need of these things, and as well conflicted and hopeless, perplexed and confused without something to grab on to. 

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Common base give hope, consistent and strong faith as purpose. Today, many people are in need of these things, and as well conflicted and hopeless, perplexed and confused without something to grab on to. 

I had the same feeling once, when I walked in to an average sized american shopping center, and looked for a healthy decent breakfest mix. I was completely lost. Therefor it should only be one brand, my brand ????

Edited by Tagged

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I find it extremely funny that the other day i was in total disagreement with everything of what you said, but at the moment your words seem very wise to me.

Well, i guess that's good news ????

2 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Fact is, there are ways you can find proof. I laid them out several times here. No need to rely on faith alone, direct experience is the only way to get all the evidence you'll ever need.
The question is, are you (and all the others who deny Its existence) willing to find out?

To your question:

1. I do not deny the existence of God, nor of Christ.

2. As I said there is evidence, however, there is no scientific proof. The greatest theological minds the world has known have attempted such proof, and have all failed. 

3. Faith, hope  and charity are what is demanded of a Christian.

4. Faith as is said in the bible is in things unseen. The Church has referred to faith in God as a mystery for reason. It is considered a gift from God  but I need no such gift to believe the sun will rise tomorrow. Nothing in my previous comment denies the existence of God. 

• Like 2

Just now, mauGR1 said:

I find it extremely funny that the other day i was in total disagreement with everything of what you said, but at the moment your words seem very wise to me.

Well, i guess that's good news ????

Deja vu, I heard you saying that before. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

direct experience is the only way to get all the evidence you'll ever need.

It's well known that each of us has our own perspective, and interprets experience according to that perspective. It's like wearing spectacles, each of us with different colour lens (not an original sense, I heard it in this week's Word of Mouth podcast called, appropriately, "Lying"). I guess you could take the analogy further and argue that the spectacles don't always correct our myopia

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

What you call faith, i call open mind.

Faith can help doing great things though, and sometimes bad things.

Relying exclusively on the physical senses, is that enough for the sake of knowledge ?

In none of my previous comments have I denied scientific truths, or made a claim that my faith requires such a denial  or that I rely on faith as opposed to belief on the physical world I live, or in my rational thought on how the world works, or my interactions with people that inform my decision making. I state that I have Christian faith. Therefore I carry on in that manner, as I am able.

23 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

I think its an over simplification to claim either that all Monks are revered by Thai, or that all Monks think they can grant wishes, or that all Thai believe such things. Bad monks fill the news, media, and folklore of Thailand. Reverence given to Monks is formality which is typically given, and heartfelt  but Thai are very aware of bad monks, in the same way the west is aware of bad religious leaders.

On the other hand, not being buddhist, but having spent some time in two remote temples in Thailand, that were a long jouney of a few days to get to, I was honestly struck by the compassion of these Monks truly living in a very isolated setting. They truly live their entire life in service to the visitors of the Temple, and I assume to foster the teaching of the Buddha through selfless action. I have also seen similiar actions by the Missionairies of Charity founded by Mother Theresa. Amazing people.

Christopher Hitchins exposed a different and not so "saintly" side of Mother T. He called her Hell's Angel in a documentary of the same name. He also wrote a book entitled "The Missionary Position". Amazing indeed...though not in the way most think.  

1 minute ago, WalkingOrders said:

In none of my previous comments have I denied scientific truths, or made a claim that my faith requires such a denial  or that I rely on faith as opposed to belief on the physical world I live, or in my rational thought on how the world works, or my interactions with people that inform my decision making. I state that I have Christian faith. Therefore I carry on in that manner, as I am able.

Well, you have expressed your position very clearly in this and the previous post, i have to say that i am in complete agreement, and on a similar page to yours.

Well said.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Whatever you are drinking today, must be good. ????

Im not drinking sir. 

As a person who have been seeking, reading history as religion, there is things thats easy to understand reasons for, as well scientic proof. People is in desperat need to bee seen and heard, and religion as instututions as buddhism serve that purpose, when every other instance fails. 

For others Like you and me maybe, the purpose is to serve your your ego and your self realization, even the more spiritual self have hight goals of getting rid of your ego, wich is going to be your biggest ego trip to get rid your ego! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

We seem to go around in circles, I never said god does not exist, I only said that there is no evidence that it exists, a very big difference. 

I can't even tell you that leprechauns don't exist, I can only say that there is no credible evidence that they do. 

If you say leprechauns exist , all i can say is Wow !! realy , what is your evidence?

Would you not say the same?  So why not about god.?

I agree that there is no scientific proof, but that is NOT the same thing as saying there is no evidence. That is a false claim. You simply find the evidence as insufficient for proof (I assume that is what you mean). I am a Christian, and agree, there is no scientific proof of the existence of God, or of Jesus Christ. I do see evidence, perhaps you would disagree with my evidence, that's ok. You can no more prove my evidence false then you can prove God false, and proving God false is not part of the requirement for proving the mysteries of the way the Universe works, nor its origins. I am not someone who sees science and religion as being in opposition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

To your question:

1. I do not deny the existence of God, nor of Christ.

2. As I said there is evidence, however, there is no scientific proof. The greatest theological minds the world has known have attempted such proof, and have all failed. 

3. Faith, hope  and charity are what is demanded of a Christian.

4. Faith as is said in the bible is in things unseen. The Church has referred to faith in God as a mystery for reason. It is considered a gift from God  but I need no such gift to believe the sun will rise tomorrow. Nothing in my previous comment denies the existence of God. 

As far as I know, Christ promoted the same spiritual concepts as any guru or enlightened yogi do: that the kingdom of God is within each of us and that we have the key to unlock the potential to create heaven on earth (= accessing the god consciousness through practice and becoming one with it). 
He talked about the "single eye":

The light of the body is the eye: if
therefore thine eye be single, thy
whole body shall be full of light.
Matthew 6:22

Which is just another way to refer to the third eye in Hinduism/Buddhism. When you focus your attention on the third eye long enough, the kundalini energy (Holy Ghost) may awaken and bath you in white light.
Hence the halos around the images of saints or the little flames on top of their heads.

So, Jesus the Christ didn't make all his sacrifices in order for people to blindly follow his teachings, but pushed them at every turn to be an active part in their own awakening through meditation and prayer. 
Faith may be an important ingredient, but faith without practice is like an arrow without a bow.
Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Christopher Hitchins exposed a different and not so "saintly" side of Mother T. He called her Hell's Angel in a documentary of the same name. He also wrote a book entitled "The Missionary Position". Amazing indeed...though not in the way most think.  

I lived over two months in a facility run by these Sisters in Bronx NY. My view is they are Saints on Earth who live selfless lives for others. I cannot speak for the view of Christopher Hitchins, but am familiar with his argument against Mother Theresa.

8 minutes ago, Tagged said:

For others Like you and me maybe, the purpose is to serve your your ego and your self realization, even the more spiritual self have hight goals of getting rid of your ego, wich is going to be your biggest ego trip to get rid your ego! 

Although i would word it in a different way, in think i understand and i agree with the principle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

As far as I know, Christ promoted the same spiritual concepts as any guru or enlightened yogi do: that the kingdom of God is within each of us and that we have the key to unlock the potential to create heaven on earth (= accessing the god consciousness through practice and becoming one with it). 
He often talked about the "single eye":

The light of the body is the eye: if
therefore thine eye be single, thy
whole body shall be full of light.
Matthew 6:22

Which is just another way to refer to the third eye in Hinduism/Buddhism. When you focus your attention on the third eye long enough, the kundalini energy (Holy Ghost) may awaken and bath you in white light.
Hence the halos around the images of saints or the little flames on top of their heads.

So, Jesus the Christ didn't make all his sacrifices in order for people to blindly follow his teachings, but pushed them at every turn to be an active part in their own awakening through meditation and prayer. 
Faith may be an important ingredient, but faith without practice is like an arrow without a bow.

You are quoting someone here Source please. Thankyou

Edited by WalkingOrders
Clarity

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

An interesting comment. Did you know that in Saint Paul's statement:

For all have sinned

And fallen short of the glory of God (Letter to the Romans 3:23)

the original Greek uses the simile of an arrow falling short of its target as the verb "sinned"? Following the rules of Hebrew poetry (Paul was a Hebrew) where the second line expounds on or expands the first, the concept of sin is falling short of one's potential. This is not dissimilar to Gautama's First Noble Truth of Buddhism - Life is suffering, which is more accurately rendered as "Life is unsatisfactory". Steve Hagen in his book Buddhism Pure & Simple explains that this concept is akin to the potter's wheel that is off-centre and cannot "throw" truly, or the shonky wheel on the cart that gives you an unsatisfactory and uncomfortable ride through life

I didn't know that, but what you say makes sense to me. 
Especially the passage "sin is falling short of one's potential" really resonates with my view. That's why I'm such a PITA when it comes to practice...it's the only way to truly hit the target.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Life is unsatisfactory". Steve Hagen in his book Buddhism Pure & Simple explains that this concept is akin to the potter's wheel that is off-centre and cannot "throw" truly, or the shonky wheel on the cart that gives you an unsatisfactory and uncomfortable ride through life

How is that today all the staunch atheists seem to be possessed by the light of truth.. Mind boggling.

Is it the New Chinese Year ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mauGR1 said:

How is that today all the staunch atheists seem to be possessed by the light of truth.. Mind boggling.

Is it the New Chinese Year ?

Nothing in my statement remotely implies a belief in the supernatural. You are simply inferring from my post using the jaundiced lens of the "spectacles" you wear (read my earlier post for an explanation)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Although i would word it in a different way, in think i understand and i agree with the principle.

Well, it is this english I am not mastering well enough maybe, and mixed up with things I have discussed or read on my path, can make it different. 

The same man wrote or said 

I am because you are

Alan Watts

who simply painted the world with simple and understandable methaphors.