American man one of three foreigners honored on Thai Language Day

Jonathan Fairfield

American man one of three foreigners honored on Thai Language Day

Udom 1-tile.png

Allen Long aka Udom Suksanaih

A popular American man living in Phrae in Thailand's north has been honored for promoting the Thai language.

Monday July 29th is National Thai Language day and the Culture Ministry has presented a shield to Allen Long also known to his many Facebook admirers as Udom Suksanaih.  

Allen - the son of American missionaries - has been in Thailand since he was a child and amuses his thousands of followers online with crackpot stories and jokes delivered in fluent local tones. 

Thaivisa asked him if this meant he might also be getting citizenship one day, something he has been trying to accomplish for years.

"It was a great honor to be given this award," he said. "No Thai citizenship so far though I still remain extremely hopeful".

Christopher Chaafe.PNG

Christopher Chaafe

Also recognized were two other foreigners. 

Singer and actor Christopher Chaafe, an Australian who has competed in Thai singing competitions was honored. 

As was Isaan based Martin Wheeler, an English agriculturalist, lecturer and actor who was once described as a  “farang man who lives like a rural Thai”. 

Martin Wheeler.PNG

Martin Wheeler

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-26

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Hmm. Three pretty dubious descriptions. Agriculturalist? Does that mean "farmer?" Got a work permit for that? 

HAHA and farmer  ,does that mean.. '' is Dave home man''...kudos Mr green thumb

1 minute ago, Wilsonandson said:

I wonder if this is just a Thai thing awarding foreigners for promoting Thai Culture? Haven't seen anything similar in the US or UK? 'Thai man rewarded for speaking English and his amazing ability to make tasty hot dogs.' Or 'Thai man wins Mr black pudding and whippet competition in the UK.'

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There are many awards for Thai women.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

France gives awards to foreigners for promoting the French language, for instance using French lyrics in songs.

That's correct, smaller, "has been", countries try to stay on the map by pretending to be cultural giants.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

Well, the guy with the mugshot deserves to be a Thai citizen. Lived here since a child. I mean, come on, Thailand!

Might not fulfill the salary requirements to get permanent residency / Thai citizenship. Let's see if they kick him out of the country when he retires because he can't prove 65k per month income from abroad, then he can go back to his "home" country.

40 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

What a weird, biased title.

Also I don't see any special merit in speaking fluently the language of a country if you have been there since a child, zillions of children do that all over the world.

Many Thais can't understand how somebody who looks western can be able to speak their language.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, djayz said:

As native English speakers, we really do have a tendency to be lazy when it comes to learning foreign languages.

As a native french speaker I have never learnt english like that ...

Maybe it's a new way to write and/or speak ?

I always learned that after the preposition "to" there must be an infinitive

To learning ?

Is this correct english?

Maybe to learn ?

Correct me if I wrote an error.

18 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Might not fulfill the salary requirements to get permanent residency / Thai citizenship. Let's see if they kick him out of the country when he retires because he can't prove 65k per month income from abroad, then he can go back to his "home" country.

Many Thais can't understand how somebody who looks western can be able to speak their language.

It will change in the next generation as there are more mixed race kids and some look very western.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

Well, the guy with the mugshot deserves to be a Thai citizen. Lived here since a child. I mean, come on, Thailand!

<deleted><deleted><deleted><deleted><deleted> Thats saves me a banning order on the forum. This is not the West.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Utter rubbish, a very small fraction of the UK would act like that.

Britain is an extremely tolerant country, especially compared to Thailand

And for that matter the new UK PM is a foreigner in my book. His great grandmother was Swiss and his great grandfather was Turkish.  I mean to say that's only 100  years ago, these bloody foreigners poking their noses in

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

And for that matter the new UK PM is a foreigner in my book. His great grandmother was Swiss and his great grandfather was Turkish.  I mean to say that's only 100  years ago, these bloody foreigners poking their noses in

And what about those bloody Germans, Betty & Co

• Like 1