High Speed train: Bangkok to Pattaya in less than 45 minutes after "historic" deal

webfact

28 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

So many food stalls making money on construction faze, 

time to invest in a food van, for local thais,

And porta potties perhaps could be the start of something new.  Propose it to the government, clean work areas, pitch or whatever.  Might work

14 hours ago, flynn said:

A station in Pattaya where ? 

461069A3-F4D4-47E5-968F-6E211C6295D2.jpeg

Somewhere on the dark side, so for all those looking forward to saving some money on the taxi, they will be disappointed after having to pay an additional 300-500 to take them from the station into the city

• Like 1

the bus ticket is 119 baht, just over 2 hours, most time lost is , sukhumvit road, getting in and out of BKK, buses running every 10 minutes, how many trains per day i wonder, now way will it be a 45 minute train journey, just on costings, i would bet the time waiting for a train i would be nearly at my destination on the bus and what a rip off the ferry to HUA HIN is at 1500 baht. that needs looking into (but they wont) good post about getting the taxi to and from the train stations, so we are talking the best part of a 1000 baht, the bus to Ekkamai, then a 30 baht BTS in the centre, job done. as said no Thais will use this service.i dont know where the SMELLY BUS comes from, i do this trip regularly, never once experienced this,  nice comfy seats, plenty of legroom, good air con, can doze off, great..

Edited by mercman24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a trip to the UK I travelled on the high speed train from London St Pancras to Ashford International in Kent. That took 38 minutes to  cover the 82kms with one stop at Stratford. It's mostly a straight line and on the fastest stretch it hits 225kph. It's that one station stop that really slowed the journey. With multiple stops proposed I can't see a journey time of as little as 45 minutes between Bangkok and Pattaya which is quite a few kms more. I think the service will be most convenient for tourists and returning expats travelling Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya.

• Like 1

yes yes open in 3-4 years

yes yes

..if they buid it like the rest , for example the underpass on sukumvit was taken 5 years, and its less than 1 km

we may see its working in the year 2070-2080

what i all hear,and the gap btw reality and the news

Comparisons to the "current" price and time for the trip is out of context. 5 years from now the bus will probably cost 2-3 times more and take 2-3 times longer due to congestion.

There is a bigger picture than just a comparison to the current situation, roads will be less congested for commerce and industry, less road accidents, less cars less pollution, all weather service etc.

I think it would be safe to presume there will be express services and all station services etc, not every train will stop at every station, a little naive to say it will take longer because of all the stops. BKK to pattaya express will be 45 minutes because it wont stop at the stations in between.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

Not sure if I want to go to Pattaya.   I know I don't to go to Bang Sue.  The Ekkemai bus service is fine by me for the rare times I need to go there.  Though given how dull Bangkok has become, it might be worth a look.  Still do not see spending an hour going to north Bangkok so I can shave less than an hour off a journey that is rather inexpensive anyway.  A financial  train wreck in the offing.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bristolgeoff said:

The bus at 120 baht against  more for the train.1 hr more I think j know what I would chose bus works fine.thais will for sure take the cheaper bus.i know unless some one pays the fare for them bus it

Plus there is the trust issue regarding keeping the track & trains maintained!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

The bus at 120 baht against  more for the train.1 hr more I think j know what I would chose bus works fine.thais will for sure take the cheaper bus.i know unless some one pays the fare for them bus it

5 years from now the bus will probably cost 500 baht and take 3-4 hours. you are comparing catching a bus today with catching a train 5 years from now.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Chazar said:

most Thais  wont be using it  then

Exactly like the BTS Skytrain in Bangkok, which most Thais cannot afford. But who cares, as long as the company operating the service business, is making huge profits, which generates huge kickbacks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1