SURVEY: Will the carnage continue?

Scott

SURVEY: Will the Carnage continue?  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been a number of threads on the death toll on Thai roads.   In your opinion, do you think the situation will get better, worse or stay the same?

Please feel to leave a comment and any suggestions you feel might be relevant.

For further reading:

yes no way if you can see the little motorcycle 130 km/h on the road faster that my car with little short sometimes no shoes and no helmet,how can you survive this if a crash,i saw yesterday a lady with 4 little children on a little motorcycle,can you imagine if some crash,irresponsibility and laxness from the authority,i think in 100 years i will be ok.

• Like 2

The new police of the road, if one day it exists :whistling:, will have much to do to make it clear to the road users that this one does not belong to them.If you drive at night in Thailand, you will see more and more tractors illuminated road like a Christmas tree;the big problem is that some drivers do not make the difference between red and green;we have beautiful green bars at the back of the vehicle and other beautiful bars, red these one has the front ..Anything big and when driving on national roads in a fog more or less thick, provinces of Nong Bua Lamphu, Loei and all those in the north, it is very problematic because you do not know if you arrive at the Q of a semi trailor or if you will cross it ...

There are also all these agricultural vehicles and motorists of all kinds of vehicles that run all the lights off because everything is broken or "we" told them that it was consuming more fuel ...
Those, and they are very numerous, trying to brake with the left foot; Obviously it does not work or too late ...
You now know why "brakes failed"; in fact it is rather the brain that is sick. :1zgarz5:

• Like 1

I think I will be the only one to say that it will improve, with the implementation of the points system, more speed cameras being implemented and harsher penalties applied for drunk and speeding drivers.

The above said, one has to hope because without hope, you have "no hope"

• Sad 1

We all know that the value of the Thai baht is "pegged' to the number of road fatalities...(sarcasm)

Therefore the Thai baht will increase..as will the misbegotten slaughter on the roads-or vice versa.

It is,without doubt,a nation of village idiots.

Edited by Odysseus123

Until there is intensive driver training and active policing of bad road behaviors and vehicle condition I don’t think that we can expect any improvement. The low interest rates on large and relatively powerful cars/pickups tied with lack of skill and experience will continue to frustrate the road to improvement.

Heavy fines, vehicle confiscation and jail time for the serious offenses need to be employed. Need to hit them where it hurts.

• Like 1

After a bit of time out of the city its really become apparant just how messed up the people are in Bangkok who drive that way. Outside its a bit more relaxed and people are a bit more considerate. In BKK its really out of control. Without any policing other than the comedy checkpoint for tea money outside the police station for an hour a day, what do you expect. 

Dont expect it to get better anytime soon!

Edited by mrfil
  • Like 2

These are not new statistics.

Approximately 65 a day die on the roads.

85% of that number were on motorbikes.

55 people a day die on motorbikes.

I rode all over the world for 49 yrs and 14 of those were here in Thailand without a scratch until Oct 2018.

Hung up my helmet = Done~!!!

Dont become a statistic.

Edited by Captain 776
Addition

1 hour ago, rickb said:

Until and unless police start enforcing the laws, the carnage will continue.  There are existing laws which, if enforced, would help to protect motorcycle riders, such as must wear a helmet, all lights on the cycle must be in working order, cannot drive the wrong way on a road, must have a drivers license, must be old enough to drive, must obey the speed limit, must not have more than two people on a cycle, must not weave in and out of traffic, must not drink and drive, must not jump a changing traffic light, etc., etc.  Standard, good laws exist.  They are just not ever enforced.

Absolutely correct.  Thailand could hire people, full time, to learn what laws there are for drivers.  Then they could enforce them.  People would eventually learn a safer way to drive.

This group could be called "police", or some other term that currently has no meaning.

Is this a possibility?  Since it works pretty well all around the world, Thailand will ignore it.

Yes, It will get more bad! The reason is simply that it get more and more cars and motorbikes on the roads every year, that are in hands of a population that lacks capability to follow rules and do the same thing day after day.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, It will get more bad! The reason is simply that it get more and more cars and motorbikes on the roads every year, that are in hands of a population that lacks capability to follow rules and do the same thing day after day.

They do that because of the lack of police presence...