Anywhere with more 7-11's than TH ?

JimmyTheMook

Fun fact .....

"Japan is the largest market with more than 20,000 stores under the name “Seven & I Holdings,” the parent company of 7-Eleven since 2005 [PDF]. America ranks among the top with 7896 locations, along with by Thailand and South Korea with more than 11000 and 7000 stores, respectively."

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51629/11-facts-about-7-eleven-711

3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Looks like they are slowly disappearing from Pattaya. Many have closed in recent years.

Good. We just lost one in our soi - we have two new 7-11, one decent Tesco Express, and a MiniC. I love them all - today I emptied the MiniC shelf of my fave canned fish that went down to 13 baht per can - gotta love the competition.

Family Mart never worked for me.

Las Vegas - not unusual to be able to see 3 or 4 at the same time with one glance while driving around....

I asked why one time & was told it was the originating city....

Partly due, I'm sure, to the transient type people the place attracts.....Reno attracts the same type but the 7/11's aren't as densely populated, but many, many other mini marts abound.....

11 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Good. We just lost one in our soi - we have two new 7-11, one decent Tesco Express, and a MiniC. I love them all - today I emptied the MiniC shelf of my fave canned fish that went down to 13 baht per can - gotta love the competition.

"Family Mart never worked for me."  Coz you're a terrible boss !

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2019 at 3:41 PM, CharlieH said:

Fun fact .....

"Japan is the largest market with more than 20,000 stores under the name “Seven & I Holdings,” the parent company of 7-Eleven since 2005 [PDF]. America ranks among the top with 7896 locations, along with by Thailand and South Korea with more than 11000 and 7000 stores, respectively."

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51629/11-facts-about-7-eleven-711

i think the numbers are to low for 7/11 , they opend a now store a few months ago across the street from my house here in Pattaya and that one was no; 13500 something, so it's for sure over 14000. ps; you usually find the store number close to the entrance.

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2019 at 4:53 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Looks like they are slowly disappearing from Pattaya. Many have closed in recent years.

Yes my local Family Mart closed over a year ago..they where the first to arrive and first to go...now we have 2x 7/11 ,a mini Tesco and a mini big C plus still quite a few "mom and pop" shops..

I hope Family Mart don't completely disappear.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 4:49 PM, NanLaew said:

..and there are NO Family Mart's in Udon Thani.

Nor Nakhon Sawan, Phichit, or Phitsanulok, the last I noticed anyway. I don't know about Chaing Mai, but are there any Family Marts outside of Bangkok and Pattaya?

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Nor Nakhon Sawan, Phichit, or Phitsanulok, the last I noticed anyway. I don't know about Chaing Mai, but are there any Family Marts outside of Bangkok and Pattaya?

I know of a couple of Family Marts near me ( Ayutthaya) although one of them is in a gas station on the Highway 32.

7 ELEVEn’s on the other hand are everywhere !!

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 8:05 PM, ben2talk said:

The first 7-11 that was in our village closed about three weeks ago, but there are still two left and the Tesco mini mart.

2 hours ago, spetersen said:

i think the numbers are to low for 7/11 , they opend a now store a few months ago across the street from my house here in Pattaya and that one was no; 13500 something, so it's for sure over 14000. ps; you usually find the store number close to the entrance.

Do you think maybe they retire the number when a 7/11 is closed...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevin612 said:

I think Thailand has the most 711s

At least probably per person, since Japan has a much larger population... 

Family Mart is part of the Central Group and seems to have never completely taken off, being concentrated in tourist areas, but notably absent in Isaan. 

Mini Big C and Tesco Lotus on the other hand are mushrooming a little bit everywhere... 

imagine was getting rid of 711 would do for the local mom and pop stores in thailand.

my favorite is the snack and drink vendors who setup shop right outside on the sidewalk, people still walking right through into the store of course.

On 10/27/2019 at 4:53 PM, Pattaya46 said:

About 10 years ago, Family Mart challenged 7-11 aggressively, outbidding 7-11 for some of their existing leases, then opening FM's in those locations. 7-11 answered the challenge, opening new locations as close by as possible to the old ones.   

Good example is at the intersection of Soi Buakhow/Soi Lenkee.  What is now a FM, was a 7-11.  7-11 just took the opposite corner and opened a larger new store.

7-11 won.

Edited by dddave