Health Insurance: Non-Imm O-A

1 minute ago, lkv said:

No, it just keeps a permission of stay alive, the last one you received, not the visa.

Sheryl has addressed it well, let's hope it plays out like that in practice.

You are of course correct, the re-entry permit keeps the permission to stay alive.

It's getting late...

Fully agree with what Sheryl has stated and quite confident that it will work out like that in practice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lkv said:

It would only allow re-entries without insurance (if they stick to what Sheryl is describing there), if you already have been granted a permission of stay and you buy a re-entry permit on it, which I don't believe Immigration will issue, since it's a multiple entry visa to begin with.

When I entered 3 days ago, I was granted permission to stay for a year. According to what Sheryl wrote, I should have no problem re-entering during that year.

What is the usual procedure for getting a re-entry permit for use during the second year? Do people wait until after the first 12 months has passed before buying a re-entry permit, or do they buy it before the 12 months has passed? Either way, why couldn't I do the same thing?

3 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

When I entered 3 days ago, I was granted permission to stay for a year. According to what Sheryl wrote, I should have no problem re-entering during that year.

What is the usual procedure for getting a re-entry permit for use during the second year? Do people wait until after the first 12 months has passed before buying a re-entry permit, or do they buy it before the 12 months has passed? Either way, why couldn't I do the same thing?

You can get a reentry permit anytime during your extension of stay but must use it before your extension of stay expires.  Use it or it will expires.

Edited by Mango Bob

10 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

According to what Sheryl wrote, I should have no problem re-entering during that year.

No, Sheryl wrote something else.

Sheryl wrote what should happen when one has been granted a permission of stay, at a time when the Police order was not in force, and you keep that permission of stay alive with a re-entry permit.

You are describing another situation, where, upon re-entry, you are asking Immigration to grant you a new permission of stay, based on you holding a valid non O-A visa.

Edited by lkv

1 minute ago, Mango Bob said:

You can get a reentry permit anytime during your extension of stay but must use it before your extension of stay expires.  Use it or it will expires.

OK. So, the OA is "multi-entry" which I take to be the same as multi-rentry-permit, meaning I have re-entry permits for the first year. I can buy a re-entry permit before the end of the first year.  Ergo, according to Sherly's analysis,  I can exit and re-enter throughout the entire two years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lkv said:

Sheryl wrote what should happen when one has been granted a permission of stay, at a time when the Police order was not in force, and you keep that permission of stay alive with a re-entry permit.

Sheryl was talking about "entry on a re-entry permit". As the OA is multi-entry, I took that to be the same thing. Is that not the case?

1 minute ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Sheryl was talking about "entry on a re-entry permit". As the OA is multi-entry, I took that to be the same thing. Is that not the case?

She was referring to the second year where you purchase a re-entry permit if you want to leave the country and keep it alive until the end of year 2.

Edited by ukrules

2 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Nope it's not.????

Complicated stuff, I know.

Edited by lkv

10 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Right. I was assuming that re-entering on a re-entry permit was the same as re-entering on a multi-entry OA.

Your multi entry is for the first year.  For the second year you need to purchase either a single entry or a multi entry permit.

1 minute ago, Mango Bob said:

Your multi entry is for the first year.  For the second year you need to purchase either a single entry or a multi entry permit.

Yes. I know that. 

This is what Sherly wrote

"Entry on a re-entry permit does nto generate a new permission to stay nor does it extend existing permission to stay. There is no way that one would be required to show insurance for the same reason you do not have to show at entry your 800k in the bank: you are not applying for an extension nor getting  a new permission to stay.".

I guess re-entry on an OA during the first  year is either generating a new permission to stay or extending the current one, and for that reason could have different requirements to re-entry on a re-entry permit which does neither of those things.

1 hour ago, Exploring Thailand said:

So, if I'm reading the above correctly, you're saying that any OA granted before 31st October without insurance will allow re-entries in the first year, because it has implicit multi-entry and it will also allow entries in the second year if you get a re-entry permit before exiting at the end of the first year. Is that correct?

No. Not what I said.

Entry on a still valid OA generates a new  permission to stay and is in no way the same as entry on a re-entry permit, which does not generate a new permission to stay.

You will not be able to get a re-entry permit with a still valid multiple entry visa. You can only do that after the visa has expired (or in the case of a single entry visa been used). 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Entry on a still valid OA generates a new  permission to stay and is in no way the same as entry on a re-entry permit, which does not generate a new permission to stay.

You will not be able to get a re-entry permit with a still valid multiple entry visa. You can only do that after the visa has expired (or in the case of a single entry visa been used). 

Thanks. So, if, they decide that people with an OA issued before 31st can exit and re-enter during the first year without insurance, then it follows that they will also be able to stay for the second year, using a re-entry permit granted after the OA has expired, in just the same way as people have been getting  second year in the past. Correct?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I am asking this because i am a little confused. Are you saying that you got your O-A 13 years ago and have just got annual extensions ever since by getting the re-entry visa and doing a border run ?

No, I had an 'O' multiple, which only lasts 1 year, During that year I did border runs to get a new 90 days (actually flights to Penang, SIngapore, Bali etc). Then in my last 90 days, I applied for an extension based on retirement... which I have done annually since. 

Edited by jacko45k

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No. Not what I said.

Hi Sheryl, I would like to understand more about the above highlighted statement. I am currently in Thailand on an unexpired OA Visa (expires 06-JAN-2020). I will be leaving Thailand before 06-JAN-2020 and will not have an opportunity to return before 06-JAN-2020. I was planning to get a multi-entry re-entry permit before I leave Thailand this year. Are you saying that they will not issue the re-entry permit to me because my OA has not yet expired?

You can only get a reentry permit for the time of your current stay which is 6 Jan 20.  So you have to go out and in three times between now and 6 Jan 20.  Better to get just a single entry if I am correct with what you said.

2 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

You can only get a reentry permit for the time of your current stay which is 6 Jan 20.  So you have to go out and in three times between now and 6 Jan 20.  Better to get just a single entry if I am correct with what you said.

You're not correct. His current permission of stay exceeds the visa validity.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

My permission to stay is until 24-OCT-2020 (one year from date of entry)

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Incorrect. O-A ME first entry May 2018. Purchased single RE permit August 2018. Out/in Dec/Jan 2019, permit to stay May 2019. Out/in April 2019 for 2nd year.

IMG_20191018_183003.jpg

IMG_20191015_115125.jpg

IMG_20191015_115058.jpg

IMG_20191015_115150.jpg

• Thanks 2

Good morning

I would like to clarify one point..

I have an extension of stay valid till october 2020 payed 1900 bahts. If things don t change and I want to get a O visa based on retirement, I imagine I have one re entry based on this extension of stay..

If I understood well what is said in some posts, going out before my extension of stay validity will not allow me to apply here in Jomtien for an 0 visa ? My extension expires on October 4th..

Does it mean I have to go out on 4th for exaple and reenter on 5th on visa exemption (french) or if I don t go to immigration to get a re entry permit, will my extension of stay disappear even if I go out in september and re enter before oct 4th ?
Thank you in advance

Have a nice sunday

8 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

O-A ME first entry May 2018. Purchased single RE permit August 2018. Out/in Dec/Jan 2019, permit to stay May 2019. Out/in April 2019 for 2nd year

But why? You would have been allowed to enter in Jan 2019 on the O-A, receiving a permission to stay until Jan 2020, and could still have done the Out/In April 2019. Did you feel you might not return before April? 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

But why?

LOL @jacko45k, inexperience!

I was unreliably informed I needed a RE permit or I'd lose my visa. Immigration didn't tell me different, just sold me the permit. When I only got permission till May I asked, and was told an RE trump's ME, just go out/in before expiry to get the second year. Simple as that.

6 hours ago, lkv said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1395920320731833/permalink/2553408484983005/

In the comments of this post, there is a report of someone re-entering Thailand on Nov 2 on a Non O-A issued in July, and got stamped for a year without being required insurance.

20191102_205643.jpg

I seen that post.

Interestingly that poster posted a photo of his visa and it had a validity of only 3 months !! ( i.e. valid from 18 July: valid until 17 Oct ) issued in Canberra .

Yet he managed to get stamped in yesterday for a year !!

Seems like the “ valid until “ date is wrong but immigration are still honouring it as a year.

I joined the FB group to get some more information but they are as unsure as we are to what line Immigration at airports and local Immigration offices are taking on this matter .

Still early days.

• Like 1