Is Grab car active in TH? Cost of transport concern

3road

1 hour ago, MeePeeMai said:

the only reason you do is because you are speaking to them through the passenger front window!!

Rule 1 . Always flag down a moving taxi never get in one that is waiting in the street.

Rule 2 . If a taxi driver rolls down the passenger side window, simply tell him no and wave him away. (you get to decide where he is going. Not him) 

etc 

etc.

4 hours ago, Denim said:

Do tourists coming here for 2-3 weeks have to get a Thai SIM card to use grab or uber or can they just bring their smartphones and use an app ?

You have to be connected to order a ride, so wifi would do it, but if you are somewhere outside you need data:Thai Sims with a minimal data package are cheap. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I just took a grab from central district 1 in HCMC to the airport today  for $3.23USD. Not sure how much cheaper you can get. 

I think you may have misunderstood, regular taxis in Vietnam are more expensive than Thailand. 

I was in HCMC quite recently and when we came off the Vung Tau ferry had to get a normal taxi, no signal for Grab, up to 9/11 park and that was 120K, the day before virtually the same journey on Grab was 40K, big difference.

I quite often get a meter Bangkok taxi from the station to Ekamai, about half an hour and usually about 90 baht($3), similar time as District 1 to the airport.

You are right to be careful and do some homework, away from Bangkok you can pay through the nose. I was 200 baht just to go 10 minutes down the road in Hua Hin.

17 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Although Grab Vietnam gives considerable discounts for digital payments instead of cash. That 49k cash bike ride would have been only 29k had I paid with grab wallet, but not so sure if foreigners can use that service. 

I do not think there is much difference, we used Grab nearly all the time and paying cash. We were fortunate the owner of the hotel we stayed at put the app on my wife's phone and showed her how to use it.

We stayed next to the 9/11 park and from there to the Thai Consulate, about 15/20 minutes and was 28K, 29K to return. I don't see how they could have discounted that very much.

On 12/16/2019 at 4:26 PM, AAArdvark said:

Grab prices in Thailand vary considerably depending on location.  In Chiang Mai, I find it to be very inexpensive and convenient while with Pattaya, I find it expensive. 

GRAB in Pattaya dirt expensive, the worst option... 170 baht for a 750 metre ride...79165355_2737983512934842_5957777293534298112_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_eui2=AeGs-xkMUbvkv_qdB5AgIbFAMzKnZDQFVzOiit5RDMy5qgS_dHaLknK2-83eHK1SYmbmfodX05-XjclTJtkKqkqAqekcfEfZhvAhT--ibCDkGQ&_nc_ohc=zScVvp5FAcUAQnMDxD8dNDQ7PuA90zBPvISbUHNcRxrDdhAnlFNrUe68Q&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk23-1.fna&oh=1afdafc7e5131c50242dc28dbea2c208&oe=5EAE694F80002698_717930805397020_91430490703134720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_eui2=AeHuUimSztgrSD31oX09jwbaV6zlXPPttFpQRSsF9qyJyVqdIdItHYRXnLBhyFi9T0mNz9g44NhgeH9-7ivM2riQG-4eKBDcPk8Gz1-9Vm4MRA&_nc_ohc=6Rqhwsg_pvYAQktYk2lVZ4tod84zw3GdwaAwxK5HQ1aPfn_sPFkKW1_6w&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk23-1.fna&oh=30df7dfd9e460db7f98be602bf787e0b&oe=5E749E3F

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

I think you may have misunderstood, regular taxis in Vietnam are more expensive than Thailand. 

I was in HCMC quite recently and when we came off the Vung Tau ferry had to get a normal taxi, no signal for Grab, up to 9/11 park and that was 120K, the day before virtually the same journey on Grab was 40K, big difference.

I quite often get a meter Bangkok taxi from the station to Ekamai, about half an hour and usually about 90 baht($3), similar time as District 1 to the airport.

You are right to be careful and do some homework, away from Bangkok you can pay through the nose. I was 200 baht just to go 10 minutes down the road in Hua Hin.

Yes I agree away from BKK 100%. But I am really a HUGE fan of BKK taxis. I just don’t have the same problems as soooo many complainers on TVF. I speak fluent Thai taxi lol. I think that may be the reason I never have any issues with BKK taxis. But I know which side of the street to flag one to where I am going and I only speak Thai to them. If yuh have been here more than 2 times and can’t speak Thai Taxi you are a loser in my book ( and theirs )