South Korean woman tests positive for coronavirus after Thailand visit

webfact

11 hours ago, zydeco said:

Thailand now a sub hub?

Not just Thailand but most countries in East Asia. Chinese tourists top the numbers in these regions.

South Koreans have a special privilege of 3 months visa exempt into Thailand.

If you want to be absolutely safe, it's better to go back to Europe/North America etc.

Edited by EricTh

11 hours ago, DLock said:

It just needs a few more like this, and a few Chinese going home in body bags to really put the exclamation mark on "Tourism is Dead"

Thailand, you have a window to do something meaningful and be a leader...because right now, you aren't even a follower.

Weak.

Thailand in big trouble now. Only a fool will be visiting in the near future. Just imagine the desolation in Wuhan replicated in BKK.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

Not to our village as nobody visits here, so we are safe.

Think so? 

How do you get your propane gas?  Does somebody enter your home to deliver, or do you exchange/refill the tanks yourself where people congregate?  

Not saying you'll catch anything but giving just one method people can unknowlingly interact.

1 hour ago, englishoak said:

the interesting bit is so far only Chinese or Chinese decent have died.

Current conditions in Wuhan, China:

Temperature 4° C

Humidity 87%

AQI 156

Gives better understanding how miserable it is there and why elderly and people with weakened respiratory & immune systems are more likely to die.

Another reason is because healthcare facilities have been overwhelmed in Hubei, China, while infected in other countries (still) have benefit of massive medical response & focus.  

Sure, China built 2 hospitals in 10 days that can house 2,400 infected - but official numbers are already ~10x that number infected... with unofficial numbers exponentially higher.

Edited by Iron Tongue
updated numbers

6 hours ago, Traubert said:

Twice daily, once in the hotel before she got on the tour bus and after breakfast and once before dinner back at the hotel again.

Stools firm and of natural colour and consistency.

wow glad you cleared that up

this thread is dead now since you have closed down all doubts about anything

what is your opinion on flat Earth...…...is it really flat, is there really a big flat screen tv projecting the sky that we all look up to that isn't really there, are there really thousands of extremely stupid people enriching these highly cleaver people praying on the mentally challenged few

Yes some people still believe the Earth is flat - that is just as relevant as your last sentence and just as coherent 

I can write you a prescription 

16 hours ago, smedly said:

I think people should be made aware of her movements 

authorities in Thailand should be retracing exactly what she did when and where

And then people should be made aware of the movements of the people she came into contact with. After that's established, then all the people that those people had contact with need to be traced too.

Of course, if any one of these people coughed or sneezed, then that location should be GPS flagged on google maps and anyone who passed within 5 m of that location in the ensuing 2 weeks need to self quarantine before calling the medical emergency hotline.

You see where I'm going with this?

7 hours ago, Traubert said:

Mate, I hate to pop your bubble but not just anyone can roam freely around the quarantine zone, reporter or not. Foreign reporter definitely not. One family member is allowed out every two days to shop for food at designated shops.

Also not just anyone can talk to the foreign press without permission which inevitably isn't given. As a bad pun it's more than life is worth.

As I'm constantly reminded I'm in Commie China and the regulations didn't just get lax, far from it.

You seem to have plenty of time on your hands now that Traubert's Chinese tours has gone belly up????

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, khunpa said:

This is not about death rates and comparisons to flu etc. It is about the possibilities of health care systems breaking now. You have a real example going on right now. It is called Wuhan.

This virus makes lots of people sick very fast. It is only 2 months old and have spread very far and fast. The people getting sick require hospital beds. Now start to think about what happens when they run out. Or again... just look at Wuhan.

You still think it is nothing to worry about? If so, please go to Wuhan and tell them to calm down and stop overreacting.

I rather think that the majority of people who get the virus wouldn't need to go to hospital (rather like the flu) they are sent there to isolate them. Of course the authorities are worried as it's an unknown disease and precautions are necessary but not panic, they way it is being written about in social media one would think we've got ebola on the streets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I rather think that the majority of people who get the virus wouldn't need to go to hospital (rather like the flu) they are sent there to isolate them. Of course the authorities are worried as it's an unknown disease and precautions are necessary but not panic, they way it is being written about in social media one would think we've got ebola on the streets.

The death rate is a worry, but civil unrest and society breaking down are more of an issue. It won't take much in Thailand before things get serious. 

The local govt are absolutely clueless and are in no way set up for what's about to happen.

Just now, Canuck1966 said:

The death rate is a worry, but civil unrest and society breaking down are more of an issue. It won't take much in Thailand before things get serious. 

The local govt are absolutely clueless and are in no way set up for what's about to happen.

SARS had a 10% death rate, corona 2.1%, not exactly a cause for civil breakdown, way too much exaggeration on social media, people dropping dead by the hundreds on the street etc. body bags being stockpiled in hospitals, yeah right, people love a good horror story, in a few weeks this will be old news.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

SARS had a 10% death rate, corona 2.1%, not exactly a cause for civil breakdown, way too much exaggeration on social media, people dropping dead by the hundreds on the street etc. body bags being stockpiled in hospitals, yeah right, people love a good horror story, in a few weeks this will be old news.

Wait til it happens in Thailand, people collapsing on the street in broad daylight, folk will fill their pants.

Nobody has died in Thailand yet and already masks have sold out everywhere. 

Social media will exacerbate it and it will get ugly

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That means I'm no fool because I live here and not visiting.Phew!

Only bigger fools, want to live there & be subjected to the status of a dog and inhale the viruses and contaminants of another country. Phew !!

• Haha 1

have you bothered to actually look and see for yourself ? I have .... I didnt believe nor realise how bad it was but its all true mate.. take 5 mins and look on liveleaks or on other forums and see the vids yourself... its all true and i wish it wasnt. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Only bigger fools, want to live there & be subjected to the status of a dog and inhale the viruses and contaminants of another country. Phew !!

Being treated like a dog gives me insight into how a dog feels to be treated by those who think they are superior to others.Please enjoy your feeling of superiority and revel in the knowledge that others are beneath you.Oh and hows the fresh air there in Oz I heard recently Melbourne topped the world with the most polluted air!

Looks like Thailand is in danger of losing the number 1 spot with most coronavirus outside of mainland China.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-05/coronavirus-on-cruise-ship-in-japan/11931688

Edited by FarFlungFalang

48 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Being treated like a dog gives me insight into how a dog feels to be treated by those who think they are superior to others.Please enjoy your feeling of superiority and revel in the knowledge that others are beneath you.Oh and hows the fresh air there in Oz I heard recently Melbourne topped the world with the most polluted air!

Looks like Thailand is in danger of losing the number 1 spot with most coronavirus outside of mainland China.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-05/coronavirus-on-cruise-ship-in-japan/11931688

Thank you, I do enjoy the feeling of superiority when others allow me the luxury of that grandiose feeling. Normally, I'm beneath contempt, but today thanks to you, I have been elevated to dizzying heights. Oz, Melbourne ??? What a tormented, twisted web you weave. :) PS woof woof (the self acknowledged lap do)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Wait til it happens in Thailand, people collapsing on the street in broad daylight, folk will fill their pants.

Nobody has died in Thailand yet and already masks have sold out everywhere. 

Social media will exacerbate it and it will get ugly

Like what you are doing right now?

• Like 1

From Korean newspaper site 7:54 AM Korea-time 5FEB2020:

16th patient’s point of transmission is unknown

It is unclear whether she contracted the virus in South Korea or abroad ... The lack of clarity surrounding the point of transmission seems to have baffled the South Korean health authorities. As of January 19 when the patient came back from her trip, there were only two confirmed cases in the nation and it unlikely for her to have been infected in Bangkok. “As this is a very unusual case, it is difficult to confirm‎ the infection was transmitted in Thailand,” said Jeong Eun-gyeong, the head of the KCDC.

http://www.donga.com/en/article/all/20200205/1970426/1/16th-patient-s-point-of-transmission-is-unknown

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Rather too much use of the word 'rather' in that rather uninformed opinion...  in my opinion. There's a significantly higher percentage of people in China who self-medicated an illness 'like the flu' at home who didn't quite make it to the ER before they died. Maybe you missed the 'overnight' construction of a huge, new hospital in Wuhan? It's not there for giving any treatment, it's there for the isolation you speak of and a 'hospital' in name only.

The authorities already know what it is: a rather virulent strain of the influenza that periodically ravages humankind and certain animals. Nothing unknown here apart from what gives this particular variant its potency. The Chinese authorities appear to have forgotten the mistakes they made when SARS kicked off.

Your ebola comment firmly grounds the extent of your social media-based 'expertise' on this matter.

4 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

I don't recall history recording any nation's significant social or political upheaval and change being rooted in any sort of medical emergency let alone a(nother) global killer flu epidemic.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And then people should be made aware of the movements of the people she came into contact with. After that's established, then all the people that those people had contact with need to be traced too.

Of course, if any one of these people coughed or sneezed, then that location should be GPS flagged on google maps and anyone who passed within 5 m of that location in the ensuing 2 weeks need to self quarantine before calling the medical emergency hotline.

You see where I'm going with this?

I'm mostly talking about hotels - room numbers and stuff like that so that the hotel staff can at least be aware they may be in danger, can you imagine the room cleaning staff and their exposure plus their family exposure etc

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

I thought Japan was in the gold medal spot for that?

Thailand was in the outside lane which gave the appearance of being in the lead but when they went abound the bend (I think they've always been around the bend) it turned out Japan was in the lead.

3 hours ago, Melbun said:

Thank you, I do enjoy the feeling of superiority when others allow me the luxury of that grandiose feeling. Normally, I'm beneath contempt, but today thanks to you, I have been elevated to dizzying heights. Oz, Melbourne ??? What a tormented, twisted web you weave. ???? PS woof woof (the self acknowledged lap do)

More of a cat person myself meow.The Melbourne thing was in response to the inhaling of contaminants incase you missed it,I know it's a long bow I draw but when clutching at straws my torment tends to get somewhat twisted like my twisted sister!Get it?Glad to assist in your elevation to your euphoric inducing altitude,just watch out for altitude sickness and be sure to get checked by a professional healthcare worker to make sure it's not the coronavirus.

3 hours ago, SkyFax said:

As of January 19 when the patient came back from her trip, there were only two confirmed cases in the nation

And a backlog of 14 cases, which may well now be amoung the 25 that have been diagnosed. The backlog has barely budged and in the last two days they stopped reporting it's growth completely.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no16-190163.pdf

Koreans may thank me for solving the mystery by sending some delish kimchi over.