Heads up, just got slammed with import taxes

NorthernRyland

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You pay tax over the cost including shipping.

I didn't know that because they never charged me before! Once many years ago they charged me some random amount of tax on some of my old smelly pipes I had shipped to me because I forgot them at home.

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

Be thankful you got away with it for so long ???? 

I used to order cigars the same way, but they caught onto that a few years back!

Would love a decent cigar - right about now! ????

Try this shop:

https://www.facebook.com/mycigarcorner/

• Like 1

I've just had some plastic dry sleeve tubing prescribed by my doctor in UK to do self dilating - they weren't NHS freebies - and I had to pay 13000THB to  get them released.  In future will use Royal Mall and see what happens.    The items I use are new to the market and not available LOS.

Edited by GuyFawkes
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Be thankful you got away with it for so long ???? 

I used to order cigars the same way, but they caught onto that a few years back!

Would love a decent cigar - right about now! ????

Is it even policy to charge 100% tax on tobacco? I can understand import taxes to fund the federal government but 100% is extortionary.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Is it even policy to charge 100% tax on tobacco? I can understand import taxes to fund the federal government but 100% is extortionary.

Why you think on Suvharhnaboumi  the customs always ask first if you have cigarettes (tobacco ) or wine …..both their favorites for taxation .

time to quit smoking , it is bad for your health and it is  getting more & more restricted here in Thailand 

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

No, its NOT use courier services ! wherever possible.

Okay, well it has worked for me and others at recent times.

I was charged import on personal belongings sent from England by DHL a few years ago. 

Edited by BobbyL

12 minutes ago, david555 said:

Why you think on Suvharhnaboumi  the customs always ask first if you have cigarettes (tobacco ) or wine …..both their favorites for taxation .

I never flew into Suvharhnaboumi but that's a good point, I wonder why I got away with it for so long. You can smell the stuff just by handling it so it. If there's a next time I'll have it sent to a Thai name.

36 minutes ago, genericptr said:

You can't argue the point with customs, to import any tobacco product you need a license, they have you over a Barrel :shock1:

Thailand does know how to impose taxes!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I never flew into Suvharhnaboumi but that's a good point, I wonder why I got away with it for so long. You can smell the stuff just by handling it so it. If there's a next time I'll have it sent to a Thai name.

I never being asked to open my luggage in 8 flights , ….but once I was seating down floor waiting for  my Pattaya bus , when a  young Thai in blue suit  cigarette in hand asked me for a fire ….. , I declined as I am a non smoker whole my life  …, as a sudden i noticed the name plate on suit ….., I started laughing as I realized it was a customs guy . So I suggested to go up for luggage check, as seems it looked he wanted to trick me , he declined also, no need to open luggage as he realized a smoker guy would already offer him the cigarette lighter as "a brotherhood of smokers " member ….555555

This tricks they use  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, genericptr said:

As incoming flights are down ~90%? a lot less parcels coming in, they have time to sort through what is incoming, they will be looking for any income they can get.

Back in the "good old days" when we had our freedom Christmas was the best time as post was busy, not sure we will be allowed to have any more Christmas's ???? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GuyFawkes said:

I've just had some plastic dry sleeve tubing prescribed by my doctor in UK to do self dilating - they weren't NHS freebies - and I had to pay 13000THB to  get them released.  In future will use Royal Mall and see what happens.    The items I use are new to the market and not available LOS.

My last experience with Royal Mail, (before CV19 got serious), a registered letter, took 21 days from UK to Bangkok.

29 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

The only way I have found to get around these obscene charges is to address the package to a Thai. 

Have done that previously, but it too failed.

28 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

No, its NOT use courier services ! wherever possible.

I have been charged duty on an item shipped by courier (DHL).

Personal tobacco use much more dangerous than seasonal air pollution, IMO.  An opinion which i believe is widely supported by years of hospital and public health data.

It's no concern of mine if you smoke, or chew, but please keep the clouds of evil and spittle far from me.  Thnx.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, david555 said:

time to quit smoking , it is bad for your health and it is  getting more & more restricted here in Thailand 

I've never been asked anything by customs in Thai airports, in fact I only recall being approached once in all of my travels, it was on a return to the UK. I must have an honest face!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, genericptr said:

one usually gets charged import duty AND VAT
((merchandise+insurance+shipping cost)x(import tax%))+7%*(import tax + merchandise+insurance+shipping cost)
in case you have a bit of time to spare, tariffs are here.
http://itd.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp
Enjoy your tobacco, and have fun in the amazing world of tariffs.
If imports are less than 1000 B. value, import duties are waved, at least that is what I have seen last few months. in case shipping cost takes the total over 1.000 B, sometimes got charged, and other shipments came 
through without payment. 
In any case, stay clear from E-bay shipping, they charged me 50$ handling fee included in the tax deposit on item worth USD 100 (yes, yes, read all T&C before you buy, I know now). It seems they discovered this policy is more profitable than taking a duty deposit and paying the excess amount back as they did some time ago.

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 09.06.22.png

Edited by KKr

21 hours ago, GuyFawkes said:

I wouldn't count on the mail getting thru untouched. My son sent me 3 shirts as a birthday present. Clearly stated on the package as such. Total cost at the time (mid March) would have been 1400Baht plus postage @760Baht. Post Office charged me 8226Baht. Either pay or can return, was the option given. I wasn't going to give the A/H the chance of wearing my shirts, so paid up.