Thai govt and Immigration confirm second visa amnesty - no need to do 90 day reports or extend visas

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Unfortunately not all Imm offices are complying with this.

Mine continues to require 90 day reports, refuses to accept them online and demands a bribe to submit them in person. 

Yes mine too...I phone them today ..they want me to go to make my 90 days..as they also refuse it by mail !!! (sorry for my bad English)

• Thanks 1

I wonder what will happen after July 31, 2020 on the 90 day reports. Think we will have to campout overnight in the immigration parking lots.

Now is the time for them to develop and publish a plan and not wait till July 31 to announce it. However as TIT, it will require everyone to do their 90 day report within a week, with no thought as to what happens 90 days later. Another crush of mankind at all stations. e-report will be crashed.

I know this would require pre-planning which is a unknown concept here in Thailand, just wishful thinking on my part.

I like the ideas on just scrapping the whole thing. Problem solved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Unfortunately not all Imm offices are complying with this.

Mine continues to require 90 day reports, refuses to accept them online and demands a bribe to submit them in person. 

There seems to be considerable doubt that the original and now extended amnesty period has ever applied to those on annual extensions of stay based on marriage or retirement. UJ I believe has specifically posted that those on annual extensions are NOT covered and need to apply for new extensions same as always.

So as regards 90 day reporting, it becomes an interesting question, does the amnesty on 90 day reporting only apply to the tourist and visa exempt type entries that ARE clearly covered by the amnesty, or does it instead apply to everyone regardless of visa/extension type?

I'm on a retirement extension of stay, and until/unless I hear something with more clarity, I'm going to go ahead and do my next 90-day report when it's due, and fortunately being in BKK, I'm able to do it online.

As is usual, Immigration and their announcements are as clear as mud.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I just called the immigration office in Sakon Nakhon and I will still have to report to extend my retirement visa for 1 year. It should be easy without all of the other issues.

Like everything in Thailand even printed, unequivocal words don't count for much.  

I have done my yearly extension as normal, and would advise anyone with a non- imm O or B visa to do the same, particularly as immigration offices are so quiet at the moment.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Sure hope they can do something for those of us stuck outside the country with retirement extensions due re-newing. Mine's due in January, but I still fear that date will expire before lifting restrictions eough to get back from uk

I'm not sure what exactly you expect them to do. Having to restart from scratch - in the case of a retirement extension - pretty much takes the same amount of effort and documents as doing a renewal. If your extension expires while you're abroad for any reason, restarting the process shouldn't cause you any undue hardship.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I'm not sure what exactly you expect them to do. Having to restart from scratch - in the case of a retirement extension - pretty much takes the same amount of effort and documents as doing a renewal. If your extension expires while you're abroad for any reason, restarting the process shouldn't cause you any undue hardship.

Having to start from scratch means first having to get a Non-O visa from outside of Thailand.

Renewing can be done without leaving the country and only extending the existing visa, no need for a new one.

• Like 1

The original extension wasn't exactly generous, announced in April and allowing people to stay until the end of the month. About what you'd expect from such a niggardly bunch as Immigration. Now suddenly they turn in Santa Claus, have another 90-day extension for free, and maybe more to come after that, who knows?

Surely they should be trying to get foreign tourists back home ASAP, shouldn't they, not encouraging them to stay for another three months? Does this mean that they don't expect normal international air travel to even begin to resume until August at the earliest? Or is it a desperate attempt to cling on to what little is left of Thailand's tourist industry, lol?

3 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

This news only applies to tourists not those who are on extension of stay due to work or family. Non b holders are not out of the woods yet.

Confusing as always, but read the first line: No need to extend visa.

Work or family extensions are just that, extensions of the original visa, whether non O, non b, etc.

My marriage extension is due for renewal next week, so went to Chonburi(Jomtien) immigration office to ask the obvious on Monday. "No need to April 30, & if you wait, probably another month! "

So now we have 3 months regardless of visa extension type.

If anyone has written info excepting certain visa extensions please let all know.

Just relaying my experience, but im still concerned due to comments here, so will go check again!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

how will this work.... I have a flight to Thailand in May. So on a visa exempt I will also be extended automatically until july 31 without having to go to immigration  or is this only for people caught back in march ? 

Edited by at15

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They would not normally do 90 day reports since they cannot stay in the country for longer than 90 consecutive days.

Except when people on short-term visa exempt or tourist visas have stayed in Thailand without exiting LONGER than 90 days because they did regular short-term extensions or because they have done the prior special one month extension, then they could well reach the 90 day reporting threshold if not otherwise exempted.

Example: 60-day regular tourist visa, plus one normal 30 day extension of the TV, plus lately one one-month extension under the April special order, and then potentially tack on added time under the latest 3 month extension period.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Not doing the 90 day report is more likely to create problems in the future than not at some offices.

Chiang Mai in full swing with drive in etc. We will do ours when due.

It looks like they may not process online/app applications. I've done my 90-day report using the Android app on Monday, and it's still pending. Usually it takes around 24 hours. There does not seem to be a clear exit plan yet. What happens after July 31? At the end of the announcement, they say they'll do it automatically, so maybe that means if somebody is due on May 4th, they'll extend it automatically for 90 days? But then how do we know?

Edited by SymS
oops
  • Confused 1