Covid-19: Domestic flights set to return May 1st - but its flying with a virus twist

webfact

The whole premise of distancing recommended by WHO is to distance from someone who is exibiting obvious symptoms such as coughing or sneezing ( foaming at the mouth etc) Not from everyone all the time....it's no different for the Flu and yes the Flu has just as high of a percentage of Asymptomatic individuals. Ever got sick after a flight with someone coughing or sneezing behind you or next to you ? Well I have....that's life. If in doubt Self isolating at home is highly recommended ...

The air conditioning/ pressurization systems do not recirculate the same air it is constantly refreshed but distributed through heat exchangers and airconditioners and filtered and in some newer fleets humidified. The airflow is typically from above the cabin ceiling flowing around and down then exhausted from the large outflow valves in the lower aft belly of the airplane..Depending on the size of the cabin the air is refreshed approximately every couple of minutes .

• Like 1

LDeath of the airlines by guillotine. There is always a bit of risk in getting inside a pressurized aluminum tube hurtling along at 500 miles per hour in temperatures of minus 57 degrees at 35000 ft with red hot engines just a meter away from wings full of volatile fuel and they're worried about a ham sandwich ? Where do they find such forward thinkers ? What needs to be done is a simple screening at check in and total transparency and business as usual onboard the airplanes. Limitations on seating is the jurisdiction of each individual carrier and under the jurisdiction of their specific Civil Aviation Authority. Not some third world backwater airport authority. As a retired( thank the Lord Airline pilot ) ill drive thanks..

Think about what you wrote. You will be required to wear a mask at all times while on board, but you want to bring a sandwich to eat. How do you plan to do that with your mask on? So you slip your mask off to eat, choke on a crumb, cough all over the place. There's the answer to your second question. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Greg O said:

The air conditioning/ pressurization systems do not recirculate the same air it is constantly refreshed but distributed through heat exchangers and airconditioners and filtered and in some newer fleets humidified. The airflow is typically from above the cabin ceiling flowing around and down then exhausted from the large outflow valves in the lower aft belly of the airplane..Depending on the size of the cabin the air is refreshed approximately every couple of minutes .

This is not correct. Decades ago, the airlines made a choice to recycle the air, to save on the cost of fuel required to heat the air, mid flight. It is said that the pilot cabin gets a higher percentage of fresh air on a constant basis. The rest is about 50/50.

The air in an airplane comes from "bleed air"; fresh air goes into the jet engine and some bleeds off, mixes with recycled cabin air and gets pumped back inside. When a gasket leaks, fumes from hydraulic fluids, oils or de-icing agents can enter the system. "The engine oils contain neurotoxic additives." Judith Anderson is with the Association of Flight Attendants. The union represents nearly 50,000 employees at 20 different airlines.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/contact-13/fumes-in-flight-is-there-a-risk-for-airline-crews-and-passengers-

• Like 2

8 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

So if I was flying from Chiang Rai to Nan with my wife we would have to sit apart eh.  A bit like K bank the other day , my wife thought the middle seat was broken , no just not allowed to sit there.

So is it going to kill you to do it ? thought not. If they make allowances for you and your wife that leads to others thinking the same. What is the point of the post.

• Like 1

Airlines and airports must be seriously desperate. If I have to go somewhere in Thailand, I think I'll rent a car - properly disinfected, of course! And a nice English-speaking girl instead of an unreliable GPS

Usually use Thai smile from ubon “ currently closed until end month ! approached nok air couple weeks back and they wanted 3,700 baht for old airport and by the time arrive and travel to the new airport suvarnabhumi would have missed the flight so decided wait. Flights with Eva air 21,000 baht direct back to the u.k economy class. sadly there currently operating 3 days a week Tuesday,Friday,Sunday original flight booked for the 21st being a Thursday. If covid19 sanctions remain in place then it will be interesting if they honor original flight or they recharge me a further 21,000 baht and I’ll leave on the 22nd may. 

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So much bad information out there. How does bringing your own food endanger anyone? If I eat a sandwich, I will spread a disease, which I do not have to begin with? There is an astonishing degree of insanity happening, and a real zombie apocalypse mentality setting in. 

The social distancing on planes will be an absolute delight. 

How do you eat sandwiches with your face covered? Stick it in your ear? 

10 hours ago, lujanit said:

If these requirements are followed by the airlines the planes will be half empty.  Airlines are not knowingly going to operate flights that produce huge losses.  So the questions becomes how expensive will a seat be.

Airlines will fly no matter what restrictions (except a ban of course), just to keep their slot in the flight program. They've been doing that up until the last day before the ban on flying. Some 747's (at the last days) only carried 30 or 40 passengers. When airlines don't make use of their landing rights (slot) those rights will be given to an other airline company who is willing to fill that slot. And it will take some time before they get their slot back. 

An example of an airline that is/will be using PPE for ground staff and Cabin crew.

a points that have been missed.

you can not just furlough pilots for months as they are required to do a minimum number of takeoffs and landings to keep their certificates current. So the airlines either have to fly or use simulators for them. So there maybe enough pilots who have got to fly.

Also parking aircraft in a high humidity environment is bad for the aircraft so keeping a minimum number flying regularly makes commercial sense.

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So much bad information out there. How does bringing your own food endanger anyone? If I eat a sandwich, I will spread a disease, which I do not have to begin with? There is an astonishing degree of insanity happening, and a real zombie apocalypse mentality setting in. 

The social distancing on planes will be an absolute delight. 

Can you eat a sandwich or any food through a mask? To be honest I haven't tried. But therein lies the answer I suspect on any for food or drink consumption on a plane????

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

An example of an airline that is/will be using PPE for ground staff and Cabin crew.

a points that have been missed.

you can not just furlough pilots for months as they are required to do a minimum number of takeoffs and landings to keep their certificates current. So the airlines either have to fly or use simulators for them. So there maybe enough pilots who have got to fly.

Also parking aircraft in a high humidity environment is bad for the aircraft so keeping a minimum number flying regularly makes commercial sense.

At 0.50 it says 'no cabin bags allowed' and the next shot shows a guy boarding with a backpack. Doooooh !

2 minutes ago, stouricks said:

At 0.50 it says 'no cabin bags allowed' and the next shot shows a guy boarding with a backpack. Doooooh !

Full of sandwiches probably, an entrepreneur out to make a few bucks....smart man

It's a tremendous blow to the economy but the real problem is getting people to come to Thailand.  

No country, without exception, will allow tourists to leave or return home if the thread of re-infecting their population is present.  Furthermore, no insurance company will insure someone against this pandemic.  

• Like 1

Just out of interest I checked Air Asia to Bangkok from my local airport, Khon Kaen, in late May. Nearly 1500 each way, so about double their usual cheapest fare. Every day the same for a week, with no cheaper option, and only one flight a day. This is a very long way from over, and I also really don't like the idea of flying with the crew dressed up as if I'm in ICU. Very unpleasant.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

12 hours ago, lujanit said:

If these requirements are followed by the airlines the planes will be half empty.  Airlines are not knowingly going to operate flights that produce huge losses.  So the questions becomes how expensive will a seat be.

The times of cheap flights have come and now gone

37 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

It's a tremendous blow to the economy but the real problem is getting people to come to Thailand.  

No country, without exception, will allow tourists to leave or return home if the thread of re-infecting their population is present.  Furthermore, no insurance company will insure someone against this pandemic.  

This thread was about domestic flights only, you need to contact your favorite airline and ask them your question

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I also really don't like the idea of flying with the crew dressed up as if I'm in ICU. Very unpleasant.

Don’t fly then.

if I had to fly I would feel, and be, safer if the chance of getting more than just to my destination was as low as possible.

12 hours ago, JoePai said:

Domestic fares are not expensive so even doubling the price will not affect those who need to fly

I wouldn't say flying Bangkok -Samui is cheap. Bangkok Airways monopoly ensures that.

Though they might discount at first to try and attract passengers if there is  no  pent up demand.

4 hours ago, PumpkinEater said:

I for one am SICK (not from the Covid19) of this hysteria!

Simple solution - don't watch it! it's been many years since I was able to endure the indoctrination of Main Stream Media, after 911, when it was glaringly obvious they were part and parcel of the "plan", the BBC being 26 minutes out out Sync with the "pulling" of WT7 was the last straw, that their was any decency and honesty left was no longer questionable, why continue to try and buy into their B S? 

The  same thing is happening again, people (sheep) are being "brainwashed'! 

Sad but true!

You gotta love how the "Orwellian" Police step into the breach - "You have to follow what the government says" the same government that they have never previously trusted, should we now trust the Thai "government"? ????     ????