PEA: residential electricity users to get refunds in May or July depending on usage

webfact

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

What about condos, renters and appartments. I don't understand this. Needs clarification. I'm fairly sure owners will see this as more money in their pockets over and above what they slug for electricity.

I'm sure they will charge you as normal and keep the discount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Free is more than a discount. It would be theft of millions of baht across Thailand from foreingners.

Only people who use very little electricity will get it for free from what I've heard - less than about 200 or 300 units I think,

I've heard that larger bills will be based on the February bill amount and then a discount will be applied as well, it's quite complicated. According to someone I know they're going to discount a percentage of the difference between the February bill and the current month.

This is apparently for people who use more than 800 units, I used about 2300 units last month.

There's also talk about paying your bill on the 30th and the discount will be applied immediately as you pay - I'm not sure if that's just a rumour going around on Thai social media or accurate. Time will tell.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Only people who use very little electricity will get it for free from what I've heard - less than about 200 or 300 units I think,

I've heard that larger bills will be based on the February bill amount and then a discount will be applied as well, it's quite complicated. According to someone I know they're going to discount a percentage of the difference between the February bill and the current month.

This is apparently for people who use more than 800 units, I used about 2300 units last month.

There's also talk about paying your bill on the 30th and the discount will be applied immediately as you pay - I'm not sure if that's just a rumour going around on Thai social media or accurate. Time will tell.

242 units last month 364 this month.

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

What about condos, renters and appartments. I don't understand this. Needs clarification. I'm fairly sure owners will see this as more money in their pockets over and above what they slug for electricity.

well if they pay for your electric then yeah they should get the refund but if you pay it will be under your name and account and you'll get it. so in most cases since you signed up you'll get the refund plus you get the initial dep. of $2,000 or so back

Edited by portlandtree

52 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Free is more than a discount. It would be theft of millions of baht across Thailand from foreingners.

Do you think Thais care about that? And its not just foreigners they do it to Thais as well.  My ex gf lives in an apartment block and each monthl just get a bill stating how much for room, power and water. Over a couple of months I did a check and she was being charged double the standard rate which is illegal but they don't care. Will they pass on discount? Yes- to their own bank account.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, portlandtree said:

no its not it is the way it is i know someone that works at the electric company my neighbor

I am not talking about the electricity company. They will give the discount. I am talking about condos/apartments where the owner reads the meter and charges the tenant. This will ba windfall for most of them. Some will pass it on but I suggest not many.

19 minutes ago, portlandtree said:

well if they pay for your electric then yeah they should get the refund but if you pay it will be under your name and account and you'll get it. so in most cases since you signed up you'll get the refund plus you get the initial dep. of $2,000 or so back

I miss read your post. The  owners of the condo apartment pays your bill ( your cash) on your behalf and, yes they will receive the discount. Do you think they will pass it on? Very unlikely. As I previously posted some will but most won't.

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

They are all very honest people ???? But if this refund is only for private persons and not for companies they might not get it if the condo belongs to such a company. I don't know at the moment for sure but I think I read something like this a while ago.

Sadly the first owner of my condo when it was built was a company and my meter is still in their name. I did of course not get the meter refund (what I understand) but I might also not get this "Corona refund" I am afraid because the meter is still in the name of this company. I am not sure yet and if someone knows more please let me know it. 

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

My ex gf lives in an apartment block and each monthl just get a bill stating how much for room, power and water. Over a couple of months I did a check and she was being charged double the standard rate which is illegal but they don't care. 

Yes - there is a newer law that it is not allowed to charge more than the actual rate that is around 4 Baht. To make it more complicated it depends on the number of rooms that the owner has that he rents out. Many people renting get charged 7, 8 or more Baht. Does anyone know if this law ever got enforced at least 1 time?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

150 units

If a household uses more electricity than what they used in February but does not exceed 800 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February.

For households that consume 800-3,000 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February, plus 50 percent of the additional units in excess of their February usage. For households that use more than 3,000 units, a 30 percent discount applies by the same calculation.

A small number of households which are still using electricity meters with less than five amperes in capacity are also given 150 units for free.

The discounts will be automatically deducted, or refunded for those who already paid, from the bills of the following months.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Yes - there is a newer law that it is not allowed to charge more than the actual rate that is around 4 Baht. To make it more complicated it depends on the number of rooms that the owner has that he rents out. Many people renting get charged 7, 8 or more Baht. Does anyone know if this law ever got enforced at least 1 time?

I did the check since the "newer" law came in and she was (probably still is) being charged at around 8baht/unit. I think the law did say they could charge a bit extra for reading and maintaining the meters but I have a feeling was 20% max extra,