Thailand's 1 million health volunteers hailed as coronavirus heroes

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Village health volunteer Surin Makradee, 77, wears a face mask and shield before visiting houses to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Ang Thong province, Thailand, May 27, 2020

maybe he should stay home, to stop the spread, specially his age ...

anyway, government destroyed the economy with their head in the sand... fake pandemic, old & sick people die every day

58 first wave deaths... that was 1/10 per day in my home country, PER DAY

Edited by Bender Rodriguez
  • Like 2

Isn't this a violation to people's right to privacy? What happens if you refuse to allow them to come inside your home?

How do they know when to knock on your door? Some people leave home very early and work all day, only coming home pretty late in the evening.

Are they also heading into forests to check the temperatures of forest dwellers?

Lots of unanswered questions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

They came to my house to check me during quarantine, all these volunteers did a very good job ????... and a very good business for the Government, to get 1 million people working for free.

• Like 2

It’s still a mystery how Thailand escaped the pandemic. Compared to neighboring countries such as Malaysia , Singapore, Hong Kong etc , a 60 death count and 3000 infected is extremely low. Especially as the authorities did nothing to stop a pandemic happening, keeping the borders with China open at the most dangerous time. I remember panicking when I saw how many Chinese tourists there were in Pattaya and Bangkok up till late February. That’s when I went home to France. 
Amazing  Thailand . 

• Like 1

Singapore and Hong Kong are not neighboring countries.

And a mystery how neighboring countries Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia had a cumulative less cases then Thailand.

Maybe a big conspiracy between these countries you think?..

25 minutes ago, geisha said:

It’s still a mystery how Thailand escaped the pandemic. Compared to neighboring countries such as Malaysia , Singapore, Hong Kong etc , a 60 death count and 3000 infected is extremely low. Especially as the authorities did nothing to stop a pandemic happening, keeping the borders with China open at the most dangerous time. I remember panicking when I saw how many Chinese tourists there were in Pattaya and Bangkok up till late February. That’s when I went home to France
Amazing  Thailand . 

So, do to your admitted fear and panic you went home to France and its 150,000 cases and 30,000 deaths? 

Seems like such a poor choice and yes, you are right.. Amazing Thailand.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

And a mystery how neighboring countries Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia had a cumulative less cases then Thailand.

Maybe a big conspiracy between these countries you think?..

This might interest you:

EZnaXlZWsAYw9EB?format=jpg&name=4096x409

This is the "hit ratio". There are a few factors that I can think of influencing it:

1. There's massive, untargeted testing being done with low number of infections -> in the blue

2. There's targetted testing being done with high number of infections -> in the red

3. There's unknown amount of testing being done, but the positives don't result in confirmations (like needing two reference lab results) -> in the blue

Now, look west of Myanmar. That must be the happyhappy line where the Kingdom of Magic begins, suddenly it goes from red to blue. To the east there's "no data". 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drbeach said:

Isn't this a violation to people's right to privacy? What happens if you refuse to allow them to come inside your home?

How do they know when to knock on your door? Some people leave home very early and work all day, only coming home pretty late in the evening.

Are they also heading into forests to check the temperatures of forest dwellers?

When did a Thai ever knock on a door, I've never know it.

2 hours ago, Tarteso said:

to get 1 million people working for free

They get a small compensation.

Daughter gets 1000 Baht/month.

The effort (hours/days per month) varies much.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Didn't even know these people existed. Well done and good luck to all of them, but how about more official government recognition rather than some "WHO" lackey bringing it to everyone's attention. Wonder if Anutin and his mates even know about them.

They exist because the normal health care system doesn't reach these parts and is non-existent to many.

Yes they are an important link, but if you think about it carefully it's a link that fills an otherwise huge gap in health care to out-of city dwellers.

My wife has been one for the last few years as it gives her a sense of purpose.

Her pre virus work was normally a couple of days a month working in the local Tambon clinic in addition to her village duties, like checking houses for mosquitoes to help prevent dengue etc.

17 hours ago, drbeach said:

Your temperature seems to be a little too high...

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

This might interest you:

This is the "hit ratio". There are a few factors that I can think of influencing it:

1. There's massive, untargeted testing being done with low number of infections -> in the blue

2. There's targetted testing being done with high number of infections -> in the red

3. There's unknown amount of testing being done, but the positives don't result in confirmations (like needing two reference lab results) -> in the blue

Now, look west of Myanmar. That must be the happyhappy line where the Kingdom of Magic begins, suddenly it goes from red to blue. To the east there's "no data". 

As, no one is sick.

Ambulances are not rushing around the streets. 

The hospitals are not full of patients.

So, you must believe there are millions of positive people untested in Thailand but I guess they are all asymptomatic?  So lucky for them and their families.   Not giving it to their friends, kids, parents or grandparents.

I would rather be in touch with reality which is basically no cases, not guessing about testing...

But, live in fear it is all false stick to your map and believe what you want.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Surasak said:

When did a Thai ever knock on a door, I've never know it.

Well they don't seem to be doing it in Bangkok and perhaps they are only targeting poor rural neighborhoods as I don't think the elite would take too kindly to having their privacy invaded or being told what to do.

One would also expect there to be more news coverage given to this; all I had heard was from Richard Burrow, who back in April said that Phuket officials would be temperature checking EVERY resident in the entire province between Apr 13-26. A commentator on his FB page from Krabi said that they were checking temperatures there too and also nationwide. I responded, how can they do that, it's not been on the news and the resources required would be insane.

2 hours ago, 0815 said:

Your temperature seems to be a little too high...

I think yours is. You DO realize that we all have a right to safety and privacy in our own homes? Or do you consent to me coming to your home in the middle of the night, say around 3.30am to stick a temperature gun in your face?

On 6/4/2020 at 10:26 AM, bangkokfrog said:

Didn't even know these people existed. Well done and good luck to all of them, but how about more official government recognition rather than some "WHO" lackey bringing it to everyone's attention. Wonder if Anutin and his mates even know about them. 

They know do not kid yourself, these people are the reason the number of malaria cases are down in Thailand. They investigate houses in the village checking for standing water and then informing the house holder what to do. they hand out the sand that helps kill the larva. No these people have been doing a good job a long time.

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

This might interest you:

The Vietnamese hit if quicker closing schools and other transfer areas, they also have a similar operation but they have a lot more people participating. Cannot remember but read a very good article why they had low infection rate, responding early was the main reason

• Like 1