The week that was in Thailand news: Learn from the past – don’t try and erase it

rooster59

43 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Personally, I think we should make every effort to learn from history, it being sheer folly to erase it.

Wise words (and ones that I fervently agree with), but "sheer" and "folly" are humanity's middle names.

Those who control the past control the present; there is a very good reason that among the very first efforts of a new regime (of any ilk!) anywhere on the planet is to 'review' the proverbial history books and create a new mythology of how it all began in order to establish legitimacy.

"What is history but a fable agreed upon?"

Napoleon Bonaparte

"To the victor belong the spoils." 

Senator William Learned Marcy, New York

• Like 2

18 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

imo at least the Germans put a massive effort in confronting their horrors publicly with a real attempt at displaying regret.I just don't see it from any other countries (which violated humanity even more), hence the mass objections and rightfully too..

20 years ago I was in Australia with my Japanese girlfriend. There was a newspaper headline about Japanese war atrocities. Feeling uncomfortable I said "the USA helped push Japan into war with their oil embargo". She said"No. Japan did terrible things in the war" I was surprised a middle class 30yo was aware.

Edited by Wongkitlo
Inaccurate.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

imo at least the Germans put a massive effort in confronting their horrors publicly with a real attempt at displaying regret.I just don't see it from any other countries (which violated humanity even more), hence the mass objections and rightfully too..

Fully agreed. I once spent a month in Berlin lookng at all the Nazi sites. The museums and marker sites are full of displays fully confronting the Nazi atrocities.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2020 at 4:35 PM, rooster59 said:

Pubs and clubs and discos, not to mention traditional and soapy massage, will be the last to open.

Traditional massage shops have been allowed to operate since June 1, though with (theoretical) restrictions on spacing and services (e.g., no facial massage).

On 6/13/2020 at 4:35 PM, rooster59 said:

A dicky computer was expertly repaired for a pittance by a thoroughly likeable Thai man in Panthip Plaza.

I've had so many cheap repairs and replacements at Panthip on my 15 year old laptop, it's like Trigger's broom...

1592144057-picsay.jpg

• Haha 2

Thank you, Rooster.  Great read--as always.  As an American I've been struck by the way George Floyd's death has triggered responses throughout the world.  Surely long overdue in the States, but why everywhere else?  My first answer was that it reflected global angst and anger about America's new isolationism and disavowal of responsibility--a chance to deflate American claims to exceptionalism.  But I am pleased to see other countries taking the opportunity to explore their own traditions of racism: Australia and the Aborigines, Britain and the Raj, France and Algeria.  Are their no similar developments in Thailand?  

Thanks for providing me the weekly news stories with your English wit.

I skip the Canadian news stations as it is still mostly about the Covid19

virus, or the USA story of Mr Floyd. Personally to me all lives matter, but

if I were to wear something like that I would be protested against  so

I just wear my frumpy old guy shirts and clothes.  

Cheers

Geezer

• Like 1

To make a point of saying "all lives matter" in the current context is not just a statement of the obvious. It implies a denial of the fact that black lives have been particularly precarious in modern American police and public custody.  It denies the existence of institutional or systemic racism.  

Just to clarify my opinion. the black people are not the only race to be

treated badly. Think about it, think of the history and how other races

are called names, and they were treated very badly through the years

as well. In Canada, I have seen the natives treated badly, I have heard 

bad name calling and treatment to the Canadian Japanese, and other Asian

people.     In America, their natives have also had bad treatment in the past as well,

not just the black population.

That is why I have my own personal opinion.

Geezer

5 hours ago, habuspasha said:

Thank you, Rooster.  Great read--as always.  As an American I've been struck by the way George Floyd's death has triggered responses throughout the world.  Surely long overdue in the States, but why everywhere else?  My first answer was that it reflected global angst and anger about America's new isolationism and disavowal of responsibility--a chance to deflate American claims to exceptionalism.  But I am pleased to see other countries taking the opportunity to explore their own traditions of racism: Australia and the Aborigines, Britain and the Raj, France and Algeria.  Are their no similar developments in Thailand?  

New Zealand has been protesting and tearing down statues in an act of what deputy pm Winston peter’s, himself Maori call acts of lunacy. He says you should learn from the past, not destroy it 

41 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

"burn the books" then rewrite the history.

Actually, no need to burn the books. Most people don't read them anyway. I listened to a street interviewer the other day and most of the young and older people who are rioting know neither history or even real current statistics. They listen to the news on main stream media and their favorite internet influencer.  One example, Natalie Portman, claimed that the 6th leading cause of black men in the USA was due to the police. Total nonsense.

Thank you, Rooster. Your article was well written, true about all and well on point. 

12 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I've had so many cheap repairs and replacements at Panthip on my 15 year old laptop, it's like Trigger's broom...

1592144057-picsay.jpg

This seems to be the usual quote, but miss out the bit where Boyzie says it's a new broom then, Trig answers no it's still the old one, barman says how do you know, Trig replies i've got a photo of it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Deli said:

They have quite a good educational system in Japan. Remember, it's definitely a 1st world democracy.

Have you read the article? Rooster was saying the Japanese lady was shocked by what she was reading about WW2.

As an American.. 

The blacks slaves were purchased as goods. They were sold by their own countries often as a punishment for being criminals. 

The really horrible story is what Americans call Indians, or currently "Native Americans". Settlers from Europe killed them as fast as they could for their land, oddly enough it was the European immigrants bringing illness and disease from Europe that the "Indians" had no defenses against that killed the majority of them. 

If you want look to the one of the bigger lies and rewrites of American history look up one of our most popular family holidays "Thanks Giving".. Sure the Indians were just so happy to be wiped off northern America and what was left put on tiny "reservations".