Fedex says debit cards are “Prohibited Item.” How can I get them sent to me?

My US banks have shipped two new debit cards to me c/o my sister in the US, whose address I use as my registered address.

Now I need her to ship them to me (in Vietnam) and I’m finding I can’t do it.

Fedex apparently considers debit cards a prohibited item and I think the other couriers do, too.

She previously shipped debit cards to me by regular mail and they were never delivered. Lost forever. Courier is the only safe way, but they won’t accept them!

Has anyone had a similar problem and how did you manage to get your cards?

Thanks for any replies.

Tape them inside something like a book, in a small parcel with several unimportant documents /papers . But importantly, make sure you send it "Tracked and to be signed for."

You can do this through the Post Office, and will get a tracking number. The faster the service, the more expensive.

• Like 1

I just had debit cards shipped to me in Thailand by  standard mail International signed for, In my experience these Fedexes and DHL etc are the worst, Had so many problems with items held by customs  opened and searched, NEVER used again in  last 2 years

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the great replies. Well I wanted to ship them Fedex via Parcel Monkey which is much much cheaper than using Fedex itself. But Parcel Monkey says that it’s prohibited by their partner, which is Fedex.

I just checked DHL and i don’t see the same prohibition against debit cards. But 3 times as expensive as Parcel Monkey.

I need to find a Parcel Monkey equivalent that uses DHL.

Sheryl, I heard that EMS does not provide tracking once it leaves the US. Maybe that’s wrong? I wouldn’t trust a non-tracked package in VN postal system.

Actually EMS in the US is same as Priority Mail Express International, which has a tracking footnote that says Limitations may apply for certain destinations. Also the price is not really much cheaper than the big courier companies.

Riclag, international priority mail only provides tracking until it leaves the US, with the exception of a handful of developed countries where it is tracked to destination. Vietnam is not among them. Once it entered the VN postal system, it would be a real crapshoot whether it got delivered.

Priority Mail Express International also does not seem to provide tracking to all destinations. It’s really hard to figure out the USPS’s incredibly confusing price lists and tracking policies.

• Like 1

I just had a new ATM card shipped to me by my UK bank direct to my house here using DHL. They charged me 20 Pounds GBP for the service (about $25 USD), but it was here in three days, and given my card was broken and unusable that worked quite well for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, youbuyshirt said:

Thanks for the great replies. Well I wanted to ship them Fedex via Parcel Monkey which is much much cheaper than using Fedex itself. But Parcel Monkey says that it’s prohibited by their partner, which is Fedex.

I just checked DHL and i don’t see the same prohibition against debit cards. But 3 times as expensive as Parcel Monkey.

I need to find a Parcel Monkey equivalent that uses DHL.

Sheryl, I heard that EMS does not provide tracking once it leaves the US. Maybe that’s wrong? I wouldn’t trust a non-tracked package in VN postal system.

Actually EMS in the US is same as Priority Mail Express International, which has a tracking footnote that says Limitations may apply for certain destinations. Also the price is not really much cheaper than the big courier companies.

Riclag, international priority mail only provides tracking until it leaves the US, with the exception of a handful of developed countries where it is tracked to destination. Vietnam is not among them. Once it entered the VN postal system, it would be a real crapshoot whether it got delivered.

Priority Mail Express International also does not seem to provide tracking to all destinations. It’s really hard to figure out the USPS’s incredibly confusing price lists and tracking policies.

I remember being told that 10 years ago, tracking as far as the USA. So just recently I had cards sent in FEB.

I had it delivered to Thailand with a USPS International priority with  tracking number and the USPS app showed  all the locations, stops with dates and times ! It even confirmed delry ,once I received it. Cost thirty five bucks .  ????

Vietnam ? : (

Goodluck

Edited by riclag

I get mine sent out stuck inside a card but what is crucial is not to mark it on any customs/courier declaration and to either put a block/unblock on the card yourself on your account website or have your bank do it until you inform them to unblock it after arriving. Then there is piece of mind in case it does not arrive.

Edited by Card

Derp ! Just saw a minor error and too late to edit it.

I said (in the post above):

57 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

DHL, USPS and FedEx usually have 2 options

I meant "DHL, UPS and FedEx" usually have 2 options. USPS also usually has 2 as well. The difference is, UPS is basically a courier like DHL and FedEx and therefore uses a 3rd party Customs broker (and they do charge for everything) while USPS is the normal mail service and stuff sent through them usually goes straight into the the Thai EMS system (and most things I have sent that way don't end up getting taxed extra). 
(It's not a guarantee though.)

Edited by Kerryd
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Pib said:

I have had US debit and credit cards shipped from the US to Thailand via FedEx and DHL three times this year. Zero problem...arrived in approx 5 days.  In fact, just last week was one of the debit card shipments via DHL. However, the cards were part of shipments from my US mail forwarding company where I had several pieces of mail remailed in one larger envelope via Fedex/DHL...the debit cards were where just in plain, non-descriptive envelopes which didn't identifying them as cards...in this case no customs declaration identifying what is in the envelopes is required.   Summary: don't identify that cards are being reshipped....say they are something else.

Another TVF forum member in Vietnam told me recently that Vietnam has some kind of law against debit cards being mailed into the country.... Thailand doesn't, as my experience in TH with that matches yours above.

The question the other member didn't answer was, how seriously does Vietnam go about looking for such things when they arrive mixed in with assorted other mail items.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Card said:

I get mine sent out stuck inside a card but what is crucial is not to mark it on any customs/courier declaration and to either put a block/unblock on the card yourself on your account website or have your bank do it until you inform them to unblock it after arriving. Then there is piece of mind in case it does not arrive.

These days, every bank or debit card I receive from the U.S. requires telephone activation using various of my private info... They can't just be used by anyone who might swipe them en route. And lately, a lot of them are requiring activation specifically using the home phone number listed on the sender's account info for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, riclag said:

I remember being told that 10 years ago, tracking as far as the USA. So just recently I had cards sent in FEB.

I had it delivered to Thailand with a USPS International priority with  tracking number and the USPS app showed  all the locations, stops with dates and times ! It even confirmed delry ,once I received it. Cost thirty five bucks .  ????

Vietnam ? : (

Goodluck

I just recently had a package sent from the U.S. to Thailand via USPS Priority mail. So far, the USPS tracking tracked it all the way to arrival and departure from Swampy Airport a day or two ago. Still waiting to see what if anything it will show me after that.... 

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

For some items they have their own "Planet Express Mail" which is whoever they have made arrangements with. Last time I used that option, it seems they used "Swiss Mail" as their partner.

PE's Planet Express and Economy mail options are the cheapest ways to send any small package (4 lbs or under) that I'm aware of. Usually runs about $10 or so per pound, and arrives here in 10-14 days typically.

I believe they use a company called Asendia, which is a consortium of LaPoste and Swiss Post that deals in bulk/commercial mailing in various countries including the U.S.

The economy option has no tracking. The express option has rudimentary tracking up thru departure from the U.S., but I don't believe it extends to Thailand.  FWIW, I've probably sent 200 packages thru them, and had 100% delivery success here in BKK.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The economy option has no tracking. The express option has rudimentary tracking up thru departure from the U.S., but I don't believe it extends to Thailand.  FWIW, I've probably sent 200 packages thru them, and had 100% delivery success here in BKK.

Yeah, I found the tracking using the "Asendia" (Planet Mail option) to be pretty bad. I usually try to get the tracking number and then use the Thai EMS tracking site but often the package will be at my door before it's updated on the site(s).

Part of that is, a lot of parcel delivery companies and airlines "share" routes. Extra cargo space in planes might be filled with parcel mail and packages could end up on 2-3 different airlines before arriving in the destination country. Used to see that a lot when I was working in Afghanistan. Stuff from Canada would arrive with Air Canada, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and/or Emirates stickers on them and watching the tracking sometimes left you wondering if something you shipped was being sent almost around the world only to end up coming back again !

Even the "big" shipping companies have to use 3rd party shippers from time to time as they can't ship and deliver (themselves) everywhere in the world.

One option with Planet Mail, if you have a number of parcels, is to sign up for their "Consolidation Plan" at $10 a month, have them consolidate your parcels into into one (or two) packages, ship them and then cancel the Plan.
Keep in mind that a consolidated package might be cheaper to send (depending on the size and weight) than a number of smaller packages, but if the total value is too high you might face additional Customs charges when it arrives in Thailand. Also, a larger, heavier package could cost more by itself. 

Typically, when I've been hit with additional fees, they total the value of the shipment and the cost to ship it as well as the cost of the Insurance. That value (CIF - Cost/Insurance/Frieght) is what they base the Duties on. If you don't insure the shipment, they will estimate that cost. Even if you get something with "Free Shipping" - they will estimate that value.

For example. I had a set of LED headlight/fog lights shipped one time. It got to Customs and I had to ride up to Laem Chabang to collect the parcel from the Customs Office. I showed them the order I'd made and had to explain that it was a "set" as they wanted to charge me the "set" price for the headlight and again for the fog lights.
Then they asked how much the shipping was. I showed them right where it said "Free Shipping". They decided that the shipping cost should be 900 baht and another 300 for Insurance. They added that to the $75 value of the lights and then charged me duties on the total. (Roughly 40% duties.)

Nearly 1,500 baht in Customs Duties by the time they were through.
It's pay up or walk away and leave your package. 

Oh and part of the problem with that shipment was, the vendor had marked "headlights" on the Customs Declaration and then only noted a value of $8.00 ! Someone at Customs noticed that and flagged the package.

• Like 1

UPS

"

The following articles are prohibited from shipment to all countries served by UPS:

• Ammunition (except as expressly provided in the "UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States" beginning on page 136)
  • Bank bills, notes or currency (other than coin)
  • Corpses, cremated or disinterred remains
  • Fireworks
  • Hazardous waste
  • Ivory
  • Marijuana, including marijuana intended for medicinal use
  • Postage stamps
  • Shark fins
  • Shipments prohibited by law
  • Watches exceeding the value of 500USD

"

15 hours ago, stouricks said:

Put them inside a 'birthday card' !

In my humble opinion, you should NEVER put anything of value, money for example, in a birthday card Certain people in certain postal outlets have a bad habit of xraying such things as birthday cards and the like. Happened to my friend...TWICE. So his wife wrapped his card in a piece of tinfoil, put it in an envelope and sent it off to Thailand. Reached its destination, no problem Apparently the aluminum foil can block the xray, and make it look like there is nothing in the envelope, except the note. Dunno if I would want to try this myself. Maybe in a pinch.