Planets around nearby star are intriguing candidates for extraterrestrial life

rooster59

5 hours ago, lee b said:

Just imagine if we could develop a kind of space craft to send humans there, They meet up and we infect them with the COVID virus, I wonder what they would think of us ?????

About as much as what the rest of the world thinks of China! :sick:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"They are 'super-Earth' planets, which means that they are a few times the mass of the Earth and are expected to have a solid core like the Earth, as opposed to the big gas giants such as Jupiter and Saturn,"

Not entirely correct. Both Jupiter and Saturn are suspected of having rocky cores. They would have formed mostly from the same stuff (granted with more ice), then simply hoovered up massive atmospheres.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Henryford said:

Only 100 trillion kms. Unless there is some major breakthrough in faster than light travel !! we will never see them.

Common misconception that one would need to attain light, or faster than light, speed - e.g, typical thinking: if these exoplanets are 11 LY away > travel at light speed and get there in 11 years. As an outside observer, yes, but as per Einstein's equations and time dilation, one 'merely' needs to approach light speed to cross vast distances faster (for the traveller).

Ponder this: Light itself will cross the entire universe somewhere between instantaneously and a couple seconds.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Ponder this: Light itself will cross the entire universe somewhere between instantaneously and a couple seconds.

And yet, scientists tell us they're looking at cosmic events that happened 13 billion years ago, because that's how long it took the light to arrive...

• Like 1

I think there will be 3 levels of aliens out there in the universe/space.

1. Those that evolved up to Dinosaurs and no further.

2. Those whose planetary events led to another species - like humans - evolving into a higher species and they will be similar to us in advancement.

3. Those aliens that evolved prior to the big bang, had the capability to survive it and would never see us as more than an ant colony

• Like 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:
3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

And yet, scientists tell us they're looking at cosmic events that happened 13 billion years ago, because that's how long it took the light to arrive...

From our perspective the light does indeed take that long to reach us. But according to Special Relativity time stops at the speed of light, so photons feel no time and also feel no distance, so for the photon the time from emission to absorption is instantaneous. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lee b said:

Just imagine if we could develop a kind of space craft to send humans there, They meet up and we infect them with the COVID virus, I wonder what they would think of us ?????

13 hours ago, rvaviator said:

and what if they infect us with some fancy intergalactic virus 1000 times more potent than C-19 ?  I have no interest to shake hands with any small green men ????

We don't need to think about what would occur, we only need to look at human history.

When the first Europeans "discovered(?!)" North/Central/South America, they brought small pox which eviscerated the local populations who had no resistance to it. Hmm... Did the same occur in Australia with the Aborigines (any Aussies want to comment; I don't know)? I think the questions would be which civilization infected the other worse and which was able to withstand it. Hmm... and whether it would be seen as an accident or as biological warfare.

Thanks to members for the comments on the Drake Equation; it is good to hear that it is being expanded(?) to cover non-Terran environments as well as the thoughts that we are actually inputting numbers into it. Yes, it is going to follow the GIGO Principle (Garbage In/Garbage Out), but I like the idea that there is some kind of intellectual structure evolving to categorize thinking regarding alien life.

One final thought, which might make me sounds like a whack-job...

What if alien life is already on earth and we simply do not recognize it? Would we recognize a species that is green and plant-like, but which communicates via odorless chemicals and reproduces by subterranean, microscopic spores? Would we even see/notice a species that is gaseous (hmm... would either of us recognize the other?)? What if there is alien life which exists only as energy and/or consciousness? Again, would either of us notice the other?

We live in a fascinating era of discovery about the universe/space; I truly hope that the discoveries keep coming and our knowledge keeps increasing.

Go curiosity! Go exploration!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 2:51 PM, robblok said:

Intelligent life if it is around would want to avoid us. We are pretty violent as a species and look what we did with our planet.

Exactly. If there is intelligent life there they'll be shooting down the space ships before they can get back to earth and bring the hordes from our overpopulated, polluted and dying planet.

51 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Exactly. If there is intelligent life there they'll be shooting down the space ships before they can get back to earth and bring the hordes from our overpopulated, polluted and dying planet.

Because they would be better off than us? Their planet would be a green paradise and they'll live in harmony with it?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, MaxYakov said:

Don't we have enough "extraterrestrial" live her on Earth already? If there is any out there umpteen light years away, I hope they stay out there.

And if extra terrestrials DO land on Planet Earth...............I'm sure that DRJack will be on hand telling them to "Go back home " ????

15 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Common misconception that one would need to attain light, or faster than light, speed - e.g, typical thinking: if these exoplanets are 11 LY away > travel at light speed and get there in 11 years. As an outside observer, yes, but as per Einstein's equations and time dilation, one 'merely' needs to approach light speed to cross vast distances faster (for the traveller).

Or so Einstein's Theories imply. I think he blew it with his time formulas. Instead it's mass and motion and space that affect everything including our perception of time, a contrivance of humans based on observed motion (IMHO). AFAIC, the Universe is "timeless".

As far as light's traveling instantaneously goes ... Huh?

Edited by MaxYakov

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

When the first Europeans "discovered(?!)" North/Central/South America, they brought small pox which eviscerated the local populations who had no resistance to it. Hmm... Did the same occur in Australia with the Aborigines (any Aussies want to comment; I don't know)? I think the questions would be which civilization infected the other worse and which was able to withstand it. Hmm... and whether it would be seen as an accident or as biological warfare.

Yes, and when the Martians took over the Earth...

Now in a deserted and silent London, slowly he [the narrator] begins to go mad from his accumulated trauma, finally attempting to end it all by openly approaching a stationary fighting-machine. To his surprise, he discovers that all the Martians have been killed by an onslaught of earthly pathogens, to which they had no immunity: "slain, after all man's devices had failed, by the humblest things that God, in his wisdom, has put upon this earth".

Quote from describing the plot of H.G. Wells novel "The War of the Worlds", published in 1897...????

War_of_the_Worlds_original_cover_bw.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elad said:

From our perspective the light does indeed take that long to reach us. But according to Special Relativity time stops at the speed of light, so photons feel no time and also feel no distance, so for the photon the time from emission to absorption is instantaneous. 

Or they use an Einstein-Rosen bridge...

A wormhole (or Einstein–Rosen bridge or Einstein–Rosen wormhole) a speculative structure linking disparate points in spacetime, and is based on a special solution of the Einstein field equations. A wormhole can be visualized as a tunnel with two ends at separate points in spacetime (i.e., different locations, or different points in time, or both).

Wormholes are consistent with the general theory of relativity, but whether wormholes actually exist remains to be seen. Many scientists postulate wormholes are merely a projection of a fourth spatial dimension, analogous to how a two-dimensional (2D) being could experience only part of a three-dimensional (3D) object.

A wormhole could connect extremely long distances such as a billion light years or more, short distances such as a few meters, different universes, or different points in time.

Explanation from Wikipedia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Or so Einstein's Theories imply. I think he blew it with his time formulas. Instead it's mass and motion and space that affect everything including our perception of time, a contrivance of humans based on observed motion (IMHO). AFAIC, the Universe is "timeless".

As far as light's traveling instantaneously goes ... Huh?

I'll mention the easy part first. I think what daveAustin meant was this. According to Einstein's SR the 'proper time' as far as a photon is concerned is always at zero. Therefore, from the perspective of a photon going from from A to B no time passes. From an observers perspective the photon does take time to go from A to B. however, daveAustin is incorrect in saying that...'...a couple of seconds...'. The proper time of a photon is always zero.

'Time' is not so easy to discuss. Indeed, some scientists do consider our (one dimensional') 'arrow of time' is an illusion. My hypothesis, very, very briefly runs like this;

Perhaps my stance might be included in the idea of those that suggest that 'time' is an illusion,  although not necessarily so. The one thing that happens both at the quantum level and at the macro level is 'change'. At the quantum level we know that everything there is not static and at the macro level we see the process of 'ageing', which is just a change from one state to another. So in this sense 'time' is the rate of change (in SR v ∝ (1/(rc) ). Now, to quantize that would mean finding the shortest rate which produced a change (position, state). With the 'arrow of time' there is absolutely no chance of 'time reversal' since the definition essentially gives one direction.
Obviously there is a lot more to add, certainly mathematically because one needs to consider entropy, that is, some say the 'arrow of time' is connected to entropy while others say it isn't. Among my other considerations is 'time' that has more than one dimension but that's 'a completely different ballgame' as they say, both philosophically and mathematically, ha!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, impulse said:

Yep, it’s called the Cosmic Microwave Background. By the time it’s reached us, it’s in the form of microwaves. The interference you get ‘between channels’ on your tv is made up of about 1% of this. The Big Bang is on TV !!

• Like 1

The edge of our solar system where the theorized Oorts Cloud is located is 1.87 light years from earth and the New Horizons craft, which is the fastest thing we’ve put into space so far, would take 37,000 years to get there. That’s just our solar system; it’s big.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually still look for the answer. other than god created Adam and Eve, how life actually started on earth.

My belief is that humans are an advanced form of animals, probably monkeys, but how did the first animal arise.

Plants can arise spontaneously when oxygen and some other elements are present, but I don't think that counts for animals, and I also don't believe that animals are an advanced form of vegetation.

Anyone has a credible source which would answer my questions?

• Like 1

Nobody have ever seen a dinosaur, still from fragmented fossils we have a good idea of how they looked like and lived. 

Within the next 100 years I think we will find fossilized non-earthly DNA on an asteroid or Comet.

A computer simulation will be able to extrapolate how they might look like and finally we will know that we are not alone in the universe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Susco said:

I actually still look for the answer. other than god created Adam and Eve, how life actually started on earth.

My belief is that humans are an advanced form of animals, probably monkeys, but how did the first animal arise.

Plants can arise spontaneously when oxygen and some other elements are present, but I don't think that counts for animals, and I also don't believe that animals are an advanced form of vegetation.

Anyone has a credible source which would answer my questions?

Bacteria came first. Their are single celled organisms which are  half plant, half animal. Plants and Animals presumably diversified from that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Nobody have ever seen a dinosaur, still from fragmented fossils we have a good idea of how they looked like and lived. 

Within the next 100 years I think we will find fossilized non-earthly DNA on an asteroid or Comet.

A computer simulation will be able to extrapolate how they might look like and finally we will know that we are not alone in the universe. 

With all the stars and planets in the universe it is inconceivable to me that we are the only planet with life on it. If there are more intelligent beings that have reached this planet I'm sure they have rigged a planet killer to destroy us if we ever look like escaping to further afield than Mars.

10 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Among my other considerations is 'time' that has more than one dimension but that's 'a completely different ballgame' as they say, both philosophically and mathematically, ha!

There's more to heaven ( the universe ) and earth than we humans will ever understand ( IMO we'll pollute ourselves to extinction before we evolve enough to have a brain capable of understanding such things ).

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There's more to heaven ( the universe ) and earth than we humans will ever understand ( IMO we'll pollute ourselves to extinction before we evolve enough to have a brain capable of understanding such things ).

At this point imo we have the capacity to survive and follow a more beneficial course. I do admit, however, that at present we don't appear to have the inclination to proceed together and perhaps we need a unifying influence...unfortunately that's more the stuff of movies. Considering what we have learned without even leaving our domain shows that we have promise and if we could only enjoy the thought of the wonders that wait for us we would be on the right track. But alas, we seemed to have abandoned such an idea and are to concerned with our own importance and 'demons'. As I've said elsewhere, perhaps we need a 'restart', Ha!

• Like 2