Pattaya: Woman and son rescued after car washed away in floods

webfact

Pattaya: Woman and son rescued after car washed away in floods

TR.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Locals in Pattaya came to the rescue of a woman and her young son who became trapped in their car as it began to fill with flood water during Tuesday afternoon’s storms. 

The woman’s Mercedes-Benz became stuck at the Railway Road Soi Khao Noi - Soi Khao Talo just after 2pm. 

The woman said she was terrified after the flood water swept away her vehicle leaving her unable to open the car door. 

Fortunately, a member of staff at the nearby wastewater treatment works saw the incident and came to the rescue of the woman, smashing one of the car’s windows so the woman and her son could escape. 

Police said Tuesday's heavy downfall had meant that flood water was as much as 50cm to 1 metre high on some roads. 

Police said drivers need to take extra care when driving after heavy rain and avoid flooded roads.

Footage of the incident showed a group of locals freeing the trapped car. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-09

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It's a 4 door and the water wasn't that high. Not sure why she wasn't able to open a rear door.

That area is always flooded, right beside the pumping station that all the run-off from Khao Noi flows into.
And despite it, people keep trying to push through.

Untitled.jpg.5e1cd8dcd44d62d4848d930ccc7ababb.jpg

In this photo, just ahead of the white truck on the left edge of the road, you can see where a chunk is missing. I go by there on my morning walks and at one point took some pics of that hole (which was a fair bit bigger by then, to the point it was all the way across the bike lane and threatening to start cutting into the vehicle lane).

Showed them to a neighbour who is in the RTP. He checked the area out and contacted someone. About 6 months later I was going by and they had a crew in there fixing it. 
They did a good job to from the looks of it, reinforcing the bank, filling the hole and cementing it in. 

But those pumps simply aren't up to the task when the monsoons hit. The canal on the other side (between the road and the railway tracks) fills up almost instantly and the water has no where to go. Not even sure where the water is meant to go from that point.

Going to cost a pretty penny to clean that car out (and it will probably stink until the day they get rid of it) !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

It's a 4 door and the water wasn't that high. Not sure why she wasn't able to open a rear door.

Nor why the rescuer had to smash a window.  Couldn't she open one from the inside? 

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Electrics failed? windows couldn’t open?

Water pressure was enough that the lady couldn’t push the door open?

She panicked? didn’t know that the window should be opened? 

Lots of reasons - if she was dumb enough to drive that deep into a flood, then its unlikely she knows how to get out of a car in a flood. Stupidity combined with panic... 

I was more thinking of the rescuer tapping on the windows and, if necessary, pantomiming the lowering of the window.  The water didn't seem deep enough to have shorted the electronics.  It looks like the battery was still above water and the passenger compartment was dry inside.  But, I guess it could have happened.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

It looks like the battery was still above water and the passenger compartment was dry inside.

The driver said the water was above her neck and had to tilt her head skywards to carry on breathing

luckily a rescuer got to her in time breaking the window to get them out.

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

if she was dumb enough to drive that deep into a flood

She she was waiting in a dry-ish spot for the rain to stop but all of  a sudden a mass of water came and swept the car away.

Edited by johng
christ !! can't edit ...... she said not she she
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Police said drivers need to take extra care when driving after heavy rain and avoid flooded roads.

Pattaya Plod's answer is so reassuring.  The rain kept them indoors and not able to report for bandit duty.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

People die every year in Texas driving through water, even after years of warning that cars and trucks can be swept away in just a foot of moving water. "Turn around, don't drown" is on signs near low water crossings.

Railway bypass is a bit aways from Texas, she most likely did not see those signs.

Just now, fredwiggy said:

Any adult should know the power of moving water. This isn't the first time it's happened here either.

Not a lot of movement in that the water that floods there, very little power.

• Confused 1

I guess you were there, so you should have helped her.

No I was not there but drive that piece of road daily, Yes it floods but it is never a wall of rapidly moving water.

Just now, Don Mega said:

No I was not there but drive that piece of road daily, Yes it floods but it is never a wall of rapidly moving water.

Were you there on that specific day, as sometimes extra rain does make moving water, just like it does in Texas at DRY water crossings that remain dry until a "flash flood" comes along, maybe twice a year?

Were you there on that specific day, as sometimes extra rain does make moving water, just like it does in Texas at DRY water crossings that remain dry until a "flash flood" comes along, maybe twice a year?

That piece of road floods the same many times during the wet season, exactly the same every year.

Not sure why you are thinking otherwise as clearly you do not know that piece of road and are comparing it to Texas.

Now if that piece of road was somewhere like Soi Khao Noi that turns into a rapidly flowing river every time a dark cloud passes overhead, I could see your argument.

Just now, Don Mega said:

That piece of road floods the same many times during the wet season, exactly the same every year.

Not sure why you are thinking otherwise as clearly you do not know that piece of road and are comparing it to Texas.

Now if that piece of road was somewhere like Soi Khao Noi that turns into a rapidly flowing river every time a dark cloud passes overhead, I could see your argument.

I don't have to know any road to know that too much water can create a flow, downhill, that could rise very fast and sweep a car away to a spot where it's caught by either trees or guardrails. It's not comparing to any particular place. It's knowing the power of too much water at one time. I referred to those in Texas that are dry, sometimes for years, and then become a raging flash flood that people don't see coming. They see 6 inches of water and try and drive through it, and before they get 100 yards, water comes from seemingly nowhere and their car is now upside down moving away, and they are drowned in minutes because the water can't be fought. Granted, that may never happen there, but she did have water up to her neck, and I don't think she drove through water that deep and just stopped. It was probably a foot deep or less then rose fast while she was driving through it.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't have to know any road to know that too much water can create a flow, downhill, that could rise very fast and sweep a car away to a spot where it's caught by either trees or guardrails. It's not comparing to any particular place. It's knowing the power of too much water at one time. I referred to those in Texas that are dry, sometimes for years, and then become a raging flash flood that people don't see coming. They see 6 inches of water and try and drive through it, and before they get 100 yards, water comes from seemingly nowhere and their car is now upside down moving away, and they are drowned in minutes because the water can't be fought. Granted, that may never happen there, but she did have water up to her neck, and I don't think she drove through water that deep and just stopped. It was probably a foot deep or less then rose fast while she was driving through it.

so hows Texas ?