Visa amnesty 27th September

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Requiring administration is entirely of their own making. My Thai sister-in-law is in Hungary with her Dutch husband. She has a five-year visa. Imagine how much 'administration' is saved by giving a five-year visa, with no 90-day reports, no visit to their house by immigration etc.

Of course I agree with that but Thais see their country like a personal home and they don't want people from anywhere living freely and getting too comfortable. It's very hard for us to understand this because we've been treating our own countries like shopping malls. Thailand is for the Thais.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, genericptr said:

I would expect them to let us extend month by month (at a price) until the borders reopen and we can resume normal visa activities.

For these folks they should just set up a virtual border inside the immigration office, but haven't thought through the details of this?

• Like 2

Just now, mtls2005 said:

For these folks they should just set up a virtual border inside the immigration office, but haven't thought through the details of this?

But it would be better for them if we go home. ???? Why make it easier when what they really want is for us to go home?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

what's the percentage? 5%. 1%?

how'd they get here? There is usually always a route back.

most countries allow their citizens to return.

there are third-party countries to which they could travel, and stay legally.

Yes, there are some very few people who are stranded. Assume their embassy/consulate or Immigraiton will possibly allow them an extension.

I am not sure how many may be here but I think there may many more than you think.

Not hard to get here if the were able to get a visa. There were routes back until things shutdown. For many they may have to transit through more than one country to get home. 

Many could not enter one of those "third-party countries" now and would also need to a visa that they cannot get now.

Some countries do not have embassies or consulates here. How easy do you think it would be to get a letter in that case. Also would immigration accept a letter done by a embassy in another country.

Try doing a little research and you would find more answers to your questions. Click on some of the dark blue countries on the map here. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

26 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

For as long as they are spending, putting money into the Thai economy and are not causing trouble to anyone. Anything wrong with that?

of course not, and hopefully that becomes  the new normal. then i can withdraw my 400K, stick it in an index fund, burn the stack of papers i present each year and enjoy my newly given easy visa status.

all for it! ????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Try doing a little research and you would find more answers to your questions. Click on some of the dark blue countries on the map here. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Meh. I don't need to try doing any research.

But, just because a country is classified as Totally Restricted, or Partially Restricted, doesn't mean their own citizens can't return.

More research would help you perhaps?

Argentina, dark blue,  This does not apply to Nationals and Residents of Argentina.

Most of the dark blue countries have the same notation.

Yes, a few people are stranded.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:
11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you don't understand what spending and putting money into the economy means then I can't help you on that.

Is there some mininum one must spend in order to qualify?

No. Although the government, and maybe you, would like to set one.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It ends on September 26th not the 27th.

It is to early to predict whether it will be extended or not.

You have a choice of leaving or doing a extension of your stay of some kind. Getting a letter from your embassy to apply for a 30 day extension is one option.

Seems the embassy letter option may only available to those who haven't already obtained extensions.Both my office and the 1178 phone number have confirmed this to me and also to my wife and their advice is to wait until the 26th September to see what happens so I'm predicting another extension or some alternative measure for those of us wishing to stay and have a valid reason for doing so.Have you heard of any success with the embassy letter ubonjoe or anyone else?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Argentina, dark blue,  This does not apply to Nationals and Residents of Argentina.

But how they get a flight to enter.

image.png.3815ef4ffe2dc06a5c86315af99fbd54.png

Look at number 2. Are there repatriation flight from here to Argentina.

10 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Most of the dark blue countries have the same notation.

And about the same as above.

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What an extraordinary post. I look forward to seeing how many sad or confused reactions you receive. Thailand is for the Thais appears to be the rallying call of the present government. I see you are located in Chiang Mai.

Listen, these are not MY views, these are the views of the Thai government and a large portion of the public. The problem is that WE don't understand how the Thais think and so we're very confused as to why they don't do simple and obvious things to improve the situation. I'm merely trying to shed light on the disconnect we appear to have with the Thai way of thinking.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Coronazorro said:

Anyone considering Cambodia as a last minute resort? If I’m right the extra cost would be just 150 USD for the tests if you get lucky and nobody test positive in your flight.

Cambodia is NOT issuing any sort of tourist visas or new ordinary visas>Only those holding work permits/family are allowed in or a history of visas an bank accounts
Those being allowed in need show insurance of $50,000, Test 72 before, test on arrival, 1-2 days quarantine on arrival and a $2,000 deposit>
if no one of ur flight tests positive after 2 days ur released from Quarantine, if not ur stuck in a hotel for 14 days

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are there repatriation flight from here to Argentina.

Probably not.

Are there repatriation flights from other countries? Perhaps.

Can Argentinian citizens travel from Thailand to other countries? Of course.

Will the ban on incoming flights to Argentina be lifted after 30 Sep? No clue.

No idea if Thailand has any legal via treaty, requirement to host foreigners?

Yes, there are some people stranded here. And they should be able to demonstrate their inability to leave to Thai Immigration, and obtain an extension.

23 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:
31 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you don't understand what spending and putting money into the economy means then I can't help you on that.

Is there some mininum one must spend in order to qualify?

Minimum two (2) large Changs a day and at least one (1) bar fine with long time or two (2) bar fines* with short time.

* NB: please note that the "bar fine my sister me" option only counts as one (1) bar fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zzzzz said:
10 hours ago, Coronazorro said:

Anyone considering Cambodia as a last minute resort? If I’m right the extra cost would be just 150 USD for the tests if you get lucky and nobody test positive in your flight.

Cambodia is NOT issuing any sort of tourist visas or new ordinary visas>Only those holding work permits/family are allowed in or a history of visas an bank accounts
Those being allowed in need show insurance of $50,000, Test 72 before, test on arrival, 1-2 days quarantine on arrival and a $2,000 deposit>
if no one of ur flight tests positive after 2 days ur released from Quarantine, if not ur stuck in a hotel for 14 days

Hotel Cambodia... you can check-in any time you like but you can never leave.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

You have spoken to the 'large portion of the public'......?

'WE' don't know how the Thais think.........You reckon....?

'We're' very confused......You reckon......?

You reckon you are shedding light.....?    ????

then please you tell me. Why do they make us jump through hoops and monitor us like children? Why not just give another 3 months of amnesty until the borders return to normal? There's a million ways they could make life easier for expats but they continue to make life more difficult. Why?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Good for them.

Pretty responsible detailed requirements for a 3rd world country better then most places in the world.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I can hardly wait for tomorrow's brand-new, totally speculative and fundamentally unanswerable "Will the visa amnesty end next month?" thread.

I think they're going to require people to justify an extension (without help from one's own embassy), maybe even grant one out of hand, while requiring people to acknowledge and accept (sign a document) that they agree to leave before 26 October under penalty of arrest.

Many ambassadors here have been quite strident and repetitive about the 26 September deadline.

Thai Immigration obviously knows where people are from, and has already probably coded them into groups like can leave easily, can go to a third country, cannot go anywhere.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, genericptr said:

then please you tell me. Why do they make us jump through hoops and monitor us like children? Why not just give another 3 months of amnesty until the borders return to normal? There's a million ways they could make life easier for expats but they continue to make life more difficult. Why?

It's up to them what they do in their own country, this is not farangland, but you were telling us 'WE'. do not blah blah blah...

Sunbeam, I have been here a long time and know how things work, in fact Mrs.Trans is a prime example of how I learned how things work here. ????

Plus there are thousands of farangs in LOS that know exactly how things work, and do not need telling by you 'WE' don't understand. ????

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But how they get a flight to enter.

image.png.3815ef4ffe2dc06a5c86315af99fbd54.png

Look at number 2. Are there repatriation flight from here to Argentina.

And about the same as above.

It's possible to get a flight to Buenos Aires via Amsterdam, Doha/Sao Paulo and a connection through Madrid at the moment. Not daily though. South America is always difficult to reach from Asia.

2 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

It's possible to get a flight to Buenos Aires via Amsterdam, Doha/Sao Paulo and a connection through Madrid at the moment.

But it has to be a repatriation flight to enter Argentina. All other flights are suspended.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

It's up to them what they do in their own country, this is not farangland, but you were telling us 'WE'. do not blah blah blah...

exactly my point but I don't understand your objection about "we". For years I've been in the "I don't understand why I can't stay since I follow the rules, help the economy etc..." yet every year it gets harder and harder to stay. It's not just me either. Many of us don't actually understand how the Thais think and that's why I'm sharing. In every one of these threads people toss out totally reasonable solutions and yes, they, are confused as to why the government doesn't make it easier for us.