Sending a bottle of Thai whiskey to Europe - impossible?

Na Fan

Everyone tells me "can not", "can not" - asked post office, UPS, etc.

What on earth is going on?

What is the problem with sending ONE bottle of local spirits to a friend in Europe as a gift?

Have they completely lost their minds now?

• Confused 1

It's 285 we'd want and the destination is Switzerland. He says he can't get it there. Tried Thai stores as well.

Was meant to be a surprise gift - but I guess that ain't happening.

Apparently we can't even send him any curry pastes or anything of the sort.

Sigh.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Na Fan said:

It's 285 we'd want and the destination is Switzerland. He says he can't get it there. Tried Thai stores as well.

Sigh.

Sending liquids through air is not possible, as it might be liquid explosives. That is the same all over. You probably could try shipping it ground transport. 

Food depends by country  so many different import restrictions, I understand that the post office might be reluctant as they don't want to deal with unhappy customers whose packages did get returned or confiscated 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Na Fan said:

Sigh.

Sure about the curry paste?

Low-strength alcohol does not burn.

We specifically asked and the ban is for any alcohol - incl wine and beer.

Not sure how you'd want to set a plane on fire with beer....

This isn't about safety or fire hazards - this is about random restrictions for the sake of there being a restriction. Nothing else.

• Like 1

Never mind the whisky, you cant send anything at all to the USA or Europe right now because the Thai postal service is not operating there at the moment on account of Covid19 disruptions to air traffic. My online shop has been closed since March as I am unable to ship anything except by EMS which is too expense  to make any profit. My shop has had to close and I have lost about 60,000 baht as a result.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Na Fan said:

...What is the problem with sending ONE bottle of local spirits to a friend in Europe as a gift?

Have they completely lost their minds now?

1. Every country has its own rules about importation. Therefore, when you ask a question about sending a particular item to Europe, nobody can give you an answer because there is no country called Europe.

2. Some countries have limitations and restrictions regarding the exportation of certain products. Does this perhaps apply to the exportation of Thai "whiskey"?

19 hours ago, Na Fan said:

Low-strength alcohol does not burn.

neither does my shampoo or toothpaste and they stopped letting me bring more than a small quantity... 

thew world is ever changing. Sometimes it is best to accept some of these very small things and adjust... 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trucking said:

Never mind the whisky, you cant send anything at all to the USA or Europe right now because the Thai postal service is not operating there at the moment on account of Covid19 disruptions to air traffic. My online shop has been closed since March as I am unable to ship anything except by EMS which is too expense  to make any profit. My shop has had to close and I have lost about 60,000 baht as a result.

Not correct anymore. ThaiPost already allows international shipments coming in and going out. 4 weeks ago I send something to Germany and got a package from Switzerland. Both via ThaiPost. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Sending liquids through air is not possible, as it might be liquid explosives. That is the same all over. You probably could try shipping it ground transport. 

Food depends by country  so many different import restrictions, I understand that the post office might be reluctant as they don't want to deal with unhappy customers whose packages did get returned or confiscated 

so why EU countries can send wine bottle to any destination ?

23 hours ago, trucking said:

It seems you haven't checked the list from Thailand Post about countries you can or can't send to. Europe has been ok for airmail and other services about 2-3 months. To the US both Int. parcel surface and parcel airmail is possible + EMS. Mainland China seems to be ok with every type of service, but Hong Kong only works with using EMS. 

1 hour ago, salsajapan said:

so why EU countries can send wine bottle to any destination ?

EU countries do not send wines, EU companies  might, but they do it by container and ship. EU citizens can not send liquids by air, as this is globally forbidden.

Shipping liquids by air has no restrictions unless otherwise specified by ICAO, IATA or other bodies that regulate air carriage. This is now Singha and Chang and Leo and all the foreign beverages get overseas after all, if they don't go by sea.

The limits alluded to through most of this forum are those imposed on carry on liquids and gels. 

It's unlikely that a punter would properly pack a bottle of spirits for air carriage in the hold of an aircraft, and there may be local regulations that prohibit the sending of such items. E.g. Customs regulations, determination that the packaging complies with the packing regulations. If you've seen an aircraft hold being !oaded, you'll know that a fragile item should not be sent by air unless really really necessary.

I think you can probably buy all Thai products in every Asian shop in Eu and GB. Our Asian shop in Nice has Thai whisky and all the best curry pastes etc even fresh veg and fruit twice a week , flown in. These shops cater to all the thousands of Asian restaurants, so have all the products. One of my Thai neighbors in Thailand, also lives in Switzerland and can buy all she wants there.

On 9/12/2020 at 1:11 PM, Na Fan said:

Sigh.

It'll cost you more in postage than the 285 costs. And why anyone would want 285 as opposed to some of the lovely stuff you can buy in Switzerland/Europe baffles me.

Is there not a branch of Amazon in Switzerland?

16 hours ago, Max69xl said:

It seems you haven't checked the list from Thailand Post about countries you can or can't send to. Europe has been ok for airmail and other services about 2-3 months. To the US both Int. parcel surface and parcel airmail is possible + EMS. Mainland China seems to be ok with every type of service, but Hong Kong only works with using EMS. 

Funny...I checked last week and they told me only EMS or surface mail was available. I'll ask again tomorrow.