Who's taking responsibility for this!? - asphalt damages many cars in Bangkok

webfact

Who's taking responsibility for this!? - asphalt damages many cars in Bangkok

4pmVI.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A Facebook user posted in the early hours of Sunday that his car had been splattered with asphalt that he couldn't remove. 

Kiratikorn Sukserm asked who was going to take responsibility.

He said he spoke to contracted workers at the scene of roadworks who told him to contact the boss.

When he did that the boss fled the scene. 

He appeared to have been going along Route 345 in Pathum Thani, north west of Bangkok. 

Netizens said there had been lots of cases and condemned bad work practices for the damage. 

No one seemed to be taking responsibility for this, many said. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-05

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Whatever he said he did is “questionable”.  Why is there no tar on the wheel well? 

958F62D5-3EF2-484B-8989-2CFD4E54342A.jpeg

That's only looking at the outer edge of the wheel well. Looking at the side view of the whole car and where bitumen is seeping out of the cracks between the metal body and the ABS (plastic) molded bumpers and the door sills, this guy drove at length and at speed over wet bitumen. The underside of the car is going to be worse than what has seeped out of the body panels and sprayed over the bodywork. Look at the amount seeping from the front edge of the hood/bonnet in one of the pictures in the Sanook article. At 1 a.m. it was probably hard to define a wet asphalt surface from a surface wet from any rain... unless it wasn't raining that night.

Since more than one car has been identified as being contaminated, I am sure there's enough interest for the police to go after the contractor for restitution. Queue pictures of a waiiing foremen and offers to pay for the cleaning.

• Thanks 1

Wow so many experts! First take photos of the area that work was being done Next go to the police and get a police report then off to local government and they will cover the costs of removal. I know this as I have done it. For those who just cant help themselves and blame the car owner/driver: have you ever seen them work, spraying tar like its water over the surface with no traffic control, no warnings. Make them pay as it's the only way they learn. After my complaint procedures changed in town however in the countryside a few twigs or a branch is all the warning you get. 

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Thats a laugh really, here nobody takes responsibility for anything.

The boss fled the scene,???? Only to be expected.

The damaged car owners should go straight to the police, and if they are lucky, police might just do something.

It was either a trick or a rhetorical question

4 hours ago, Airalee said:

I’ve seen cars that have driven through fresh asphalt (accidentally) and they didn’t look anything like that.  I don’t see how it is possible to be covered so extensively.

Potential Rally Driver me thinks. 

I wonder if hes acquired the technique of left foot braking yet.

It is good to learn for tricky road conditions.

5 hours ago, Kinnock said:

"Early hours of the morning" - perhaps he drove through wet tarmac at high speed ...... sideways?

I wasn't there and don't speculate about things I know nothing about.

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

WD40 Will remove tar from the side of your car. Quite time consuming though.

Probably need to buy a box of cans to get rid of that.

To remove tar:

• Tar remover (available in the car accesory shops in Thailand)
  • WD-40
  • Goo Gone
  • Gasoline
  • Peanut butter

Leave whichever you use to soak in a while and remember though to rewax as all polish will also be removed.

Its not a problem at all, my wife cleaned it all off in a jiffy with steel wool (pot scrubbers)!!  Doh!

However there were side effects....she suddenly developed a limp straight after I found out lol!

But seriously go to a car wash, they have all the right chems for the job.

24 minutes ago, Paul DS said:

To remove tar:

• Tar remover (available in the car accesory shops in Thailand)
  • WD-40
  • Goo Gone
  • Gasoline
  • Peanut butter

Leave whichever you use to soak in a while and remember though to rewax as all polish will also be removed.

I was going to mention Gasoline. That's kind of a last resort and it is extremely dangerous! We always used the kerosene for road oil and gasoline to remove lane marking paint from cars. Don't wait too long as it gets more difficult with time.

Yes rewax is necessary.