Safety of railway crossings questioned after second vehicle hit by train in a week

webfact

12 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Agreed about u-turns, they are extremely dangerous. But ungated level crossings? How difficult is it to stop one's car and look both ways along the rail tracks before proceeding.

You just used the magic words,  Stop and Look.

Unfortunately most Thai's think it is beneath them to do this, as others should Stop for them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gerefan said:

The answer lies in the video of the bus accident. The bus driver had the train on his left. The driver sits on the right.

There's no excuses only the explaination as to what happen.

Bus drivers gross error and carelessness which in judgement paramounts to the lost of many lives.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You would think after the other well publicised accident with the

bus and so many dead,that drivers to use more caution while

crossing railway lines,but in this case does not seem to be so,

another case of "I think I can make it "

regards worgeordie

But the trains got to be close to the crossing for a car attempting to cross it is hit by it.  The mind boggles just thinking about it.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Five days ago, a train hit a bus killing 18 people, which sparked criticism over the safety of Thailand’s railway system.

The railway system in Thailand is [I'm guessing] much the same as it is in any country...

THE TRAIN GOES FIRST !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Seems like we're all in agreement then, the problem is the drivers & not the crossings,  now, what to do about them ?

Nothing , No need but Barriers could help a bit for Normal people.  Same as a pedestrian Crossing the road . 

Look Before You Attempt to Cross the Road/Railway line.   ????:shock1:

Edited by digger70

43 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Do not trifle with the powerful Grim Reaper. Death may come today, or another day. Everyone can die at any moment.”  As quoted by someone far more  knowing than me. Trains and cars don't mix well, evidently.

Someone gave that warning to the protesters ????

This happens when drivers do anything else (very common here) in a moving car, but paying attention to driving (if not drunk or drugged). At night they May not see the train, but they must be blind if they don't see the supper bright headlight. And besides that, there is a flashing red light, but just no gate. 

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thais are slow learners particularly where Health & Safety rules are concerned.  The 42 seater bus mentioned above had 80 passengers aboard!  No wonder its undercarriage got stuck on the crossing.  Will anyone be prosecuted for selling 40 surplus tickets?

Will be reprimanded for not filling the bus to (Thai) capacity.... 

On 10/16/2020 at 6:54 PM, worgeordie said:

You would think after the other well publicised accident with the

bus and so many dead,that drivers to use more caution while

crossing railway lines,but in this case does not seem to be so,

another case of "I think I can make it "

regards worgeordie

Sure, but keep in mind that many locals never read newspapers, never watch TV news, don't read news items on facebook etc., and never discuss news with their friends, their awareness is limited to 2 meters around themselves and not much more.

• Like 1

After decades of slaughter at these crossing point, the government is just now getting a clue? ????

When can we expect them to notice the U-Turns Of Death dotting the carriage-ways every 2 kilometres.  My guess is they make train crossing look like a romp in the park.

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thais are slow learners particularly where Health & Safety rules are concerned.  The 42 seater bus mentioned above had 80 passengers aboard!  No wonder its undercarriage got stuck on the crossing.  Will anyone be prosecuted for selling 40 surplus tickets?

Tickets? Cash only, squeeze up, we can get another 12 in...

On 10/16/2020 at 4:11 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Seems like we're all in agreement then, the problem is the drivers & not the crossings,  now, what to do about them ?

great question.....one that NO ONE CAN ANSWER....

never seems to be a pwoblem in other countries.....just Thailand !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

After decades of slaughter at these crossing point, the government is just now getting a clue? ????

When can we expect them to notice the U-Turns Of Death dotting the carriage-ways every 2 kilometres.  My guess is they make train crossing look like a romp in the park.

Automatic triggered boom gates should be installed at the tax payers expence please

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

Why would thais respect lights at a railway xing when they don't even respect lights at a marked pedestrian crosswalk....

The cops don't even respect the lights at pedestrian crossings I had 1 fly by me in front of the temple I think on south street in Pattaya 

14 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

If you look at the photograph in the OP you can see how hard it must be to see something that size, at night, with a great big headlight and a loud horn...

Not if your on your smartphone having a long-term fun chat with your friends and loud music playing in the car/van.

Not if your driving and you have your young baby laying across your lap and your giving your baby a bottle of milk and talking on your smartphone at the same time to friends. 

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

Sure, but keep in mind that many locals never read newspapers, never watch TV news, don't read news items on facebook etc., and never discuss news with their friends, their awareness is limited to 2 meters around themselves and not much more.

Think you are being generous with 2 metres, I would suggest 1 metre, unless it is food or something for free.... 

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

I live in the countryside this sums up local thai people outside the towns and cities and especially by me perfectly

On 10/16/2020 at 2:53 PM, Golden Triangle said:

I don't think it's so much the safety of the crossings per se, this happened during the hours of darkness, did the car driver not see the lights on the train ?

Admittedly the crossings here leave a lot to be desired, but if she couldn't see the headlights on the train she shouldn't have been driving.

There are crossings where bushes prevent seeing anything.

The problem is not the State Railways of Thailand but the stupidity of those ignorant clowns behind the steering wheel. Darwin's theory proves correct; they eradicate themselves over time.

31 million drivers of which 11 millions do not hold a driving license. The other 20 millions have hardly undergone proper driving lessons including how to change a spare wheel, basic preventive maintenance of wiper washer, battery acid level or air pressure in tires. Reversing, using mirrors or indicators are also literally almost unknown to Khon Thai. 

Go and study Central European standards of what it takes to issue a driving license and then such accidents will automatically stop. I've seen countless times Thais sneaking an S-curve around lowered barriers - how much more do you expect at a train crossing? 

Serves all those drivers getting killed right; each and everyone is good riddance and no longer a threat to other drivers ???? 

• Like 1