Thailand's "Ten Year Plan" to improve road safety has failed - instead of halving the death toll it's nearly doubled!

webfact

Just now, Calach said:

So it increased by nearly 50% not doubled.

So you post a flippant remark about road deaths, sick in my opinion, 1 death is 1 too many.

Myself only alive because of the skill/ care of doctors and nurses here.

Next time think first before you post.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

We also tend to forget the motor vehicle manufacturers' roles in this. They lobby hard at the Thai government to sell more vehicles. Their advertising encourages speed in agricultural vehicles (pickups) and scooters totally unequipped to deal with fast maneuvering; cornering, sudden movements and quick braking. 

when I went to renew my licence last year at the video showing the rules everyone in the room was simply playing on their phones, they do not want to know the road laws or take notice of them, time for police to start issuing huge fines for the idiots that simply ignore the rules while on the roads but the police refuse to go out of the air conditioned offices, work at night plus they dont have the right type of road cars & bikes, they should also be on the roads 24/7 pulling all the idiots over. Booze buses on roads would help but again the govt doesnt want to spend the money on the police and the police dont want to work, blocking roads and pulling over every vehicle/bike and checking for licences then seizing any vehicles/bikes from unlicenced people would also make a difference, having computers in all police cars so they can check everyone while driving would enable them to weed out a lot of people too, all too hard for Thailand though and would take out the higher ups pocket money

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Back in 2011 the target was to reduce road death from 20 per 100,000 inhabitants to 10.

Instead it is now 29 per 100,000. 

Sorry, its already been said.

Edited by KannikaP

18 minutes ago, colinneil said:

So you post a flippant remark about road deaths, sick in my opinion, 1 death is 1 too many.

Myself only alive because of the skill/ care of doctors and nurses here.

Next time think first before you post.

What it takes to get people offended these days. 

• Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Calach said:

So it increased by nearly 50% not doubled.

I told them a million times not to exaggerate.

i prefer driving in Thailand than Melbourne. In Melbourne they put speed cameras everywhere, if you go 5 kms over you cop a big fine.  It is over the top. 

I enjoy speeding when it is safe on an empty open road, in Melbourne you have sneaky coppers hiding in bushes with radar. 

I am guilty of having a few beers and driving, I have used my phone when driving, sometimes don’t bother wearing a seatbelt, sometimes can’t be arsed wearing the helmet on the bike, occasionally drive on the wrong side of the road. I have never caused an accident. 
Most of the foreigners here that I know have done the same. 

thai law enforcement is a bit slack, but Melbourne laws are way over the top and mainly about revenue raising. 

Only ever copped a parking fine in Phuket town. Paid out thousands living in Melbourne.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

In my travels around Thailand, and I have been to most provinces, I have found the roads to be quite good. Sure law enforcement is lacking but for me the most telling contribution to the carnage is the mentality of the road users, they seem to have no concept of self preservation as witnessed by the truly stupid things they do on the roads. Concentration is sorely lacking, and that is the key to survival on Thai roads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sadly, having a plan is a waste of time....you need an effective plan that is enacted, monitored and corrected as you go along........something that is way beyond any Thai administration's ability.

The Japanese introduced this simple guide in the 1970's.....PLAN-DO-CONTOL-ACTION-REPEAT

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

1. Improving the driving skill and road use behavior of Thais.

2. Improving the safety of roads.

3. Ensuring law enforcement. 

1  impossible

2 do -able by removing all U  Turns or at the very loeast staggering alternate carriageways u turn points.

3 impossible

• Like 1