Something i have never encountered before.

CharlieH

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have had nothing but Michelins on my vehicles ever since I got here. Have never had a road noise problem.

You get what you pay for.

Possibly, but bare in mind these were on there fron the car being bought new.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Possibly, but bare in mind these were on there fron the car being new.

The last set of Michelins on my Vios did 70,000 km, over about 4 years. Still had about 5 - 10K worth of tread to the indicators. My mechanic said change them over as they had cracking in the tire treads, so I did.

Personally, I'd be ditching a brand that only gave me 33,000 km. My minimum expectation is 50,000 km.

You're not a leadfoot, are you? That does reduce tire life.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The last set of Michelins on my Vios did 70,000 km, over about 4 years. Still had about 5 - 10K worth of tread to the indicators. My mechanic said change them over as they had cracking in the tire treads, so I did.

Personally, I'd be ditching a brand that only gave me 33,000 km. My minimum expectation is 50,000 km.

You're not a leadfoot, are you? That does reduce tire life.

No not by any means, and as I said there was plenty of tread still on them. My guess and it is only a guess is the car wasnt used enough and stood still for long periods had an effect, but thats just speculation. The brand supplied by Honda in this instance was Goodyear.

You should rotate your 4 tyres regularly to prevent this and this will even out the wear. Check your tracking too.

I rotate them every 5000 miles at the same time as my oil change. Your garage can do this in about 10 mins.

I include my spare in the rotation so it has the same wear as the others but that is optional. Don't include it if you have directional tyres.

Make sure if you are using directional tyres you only swap back to front and not left to right.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-rotate-your-car-tires/

Edited by Muzzique
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

I have a Honda City, and was driving along as usual and I noticed a noise that didnt seem right coming from the rear of the car.I turned the music off as I tend to have it quite loud. I concentrated on this noise, slowed down and it started to disappear and then gone,, Started to go again and as I progressed it got louder and at 80kph it was really bad. All sorts were running through my mind but it didnt sound like whine, no rumble like a bearing. Accelerated on through to 100 and gone again.

The car is 3.5 yrs old with 33,000km on the clock. This noise was doing my head in, now I couldnt focus on anything but this bloody noise everytime I drove the car. Next service I asked them to take a look.Nothing was the response, then I had the idea to tell them to move the back tyres to the front opposite and front go back.

Bingo !, now all this noise was on the front of the car. If you havnt guessed by now it was the tyres. They still had plenty of meat on them but had just gone hard ! Never experienced this before ever. I am guessing its a hot country thing.Anyway, went in and changed all 4 boots and back to how it should be.

Just a tale that might point someone else in the right direction if they encounter something similar.

Were you listening to the "BEE GEES"?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have a Honda Jazz and noticed the road noise from the tyres getting quite loud at around the 35,000 km mark, it depended on the road surface but the noise at times was worrying.

I took it to BeQuik for a quick inspection underneath and all they said was there was nothing untoward but I should buy a new set of tyres from them ????.

Anyway i batted it out to 50,000 km and changed the original Bridgestones to Maxxis, it was like night and day, the noise disappeared completely and now , at nearly 80,000 km still no sign of noise.

Honda's are known for sick tyres.

417D939A-D3EA-4459-B6D7-C44C152205AE_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I am on my second set of Maxxiss on my Vigo, first set getting 80,000km. Good tyres and inexpensive.

I used to use Maxxis a lot. No problem but the tread pattern was noisier than Michelins. However, I was getting a puncture fixed last week and I noticed that Maxxis have changed their tread pattern and they now look like Michelins. I would buy some but as I wont be doing any more visa runs not worth it. Will just keep the Michelins I'm currently on.

Are we here talking about a constant "whirr-whirr-whirr-whirr-whirr" noise from underneath the car? If so, we've experienced this a couple of times on our Honda Mobilio, which was rectified on each occasion by a complete tyre change.

But what freaked me out when I started hearing this noise for the first time was that it sounded eerily similar to the noise I heard on my Mazda 323 in the UK back in the day, which was caused by a worn constant velocity joint. The guy at the garage who fixed this for me warned me that had I carried on and done nothing about this, there was a possibility of the relevant front wheel coming off at speed!

9 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Hard tyres??? Naughty ones. Where did you get them?

I think you need to quote OP Charlie H not me.

I've never had hard tyres in my life until I came to Thailand and finding out they pump them up so hard it rattle's the suspension, door locks,  spare tyre etc etc etc. ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I think you need to quote OP Charlie H not me.

I've never had hard tyres in my life until I came to Thailand and finding out they pump them up so hard it rattle's the suspension, door locks,  spare tyre etc etc etc. ????

Then try letting them down to the manufacturer's recommended pressure.

Edited by KannikaP

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Then try letting them down to the manufacturer's recommended pressure.

Well of course I did correct the right level of psi tyre pressure for Thailand it was one of many observation I made when coming to Thailand as an engineer as well as other things in my life. 

like good main dealer are like rocking horse poo.

Edited by Kwasaki

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I have had nothing but Michelins on my vehicles ever since I got here. Have never had a road noise problem.

You get what you pay for.

and that's 2 of us.... always Michelin

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

No not by any means, and as I said there was plenty of tread still on them. My guess and it is only a guess is the car wasnt used enough and stood still for long periods had an effect, but thats just speculation. The brand supplied by Honda in this instance was Goodyear.

if you didn't drove often then the "square effect" may happen 5551329979193_NewTires.jpg.571d9656714a50b06b0fbf179bd47a6b.jpghttp://www.autoline.tv/journal-wp-content/uploads/2011/03/square-tire-Autoline.jpg

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So how do you know whether Maxxiss are quieter/noisier or not?

I use Michelin Premier and some times Pilot Sport, for about 65 to 70K kilometers, quiet and comfortable drive.  I don't use Maxxiss.... can not comment on  Maxxiss

Edited by Mavideol
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1