Serious question about ASQ and alcohol.

Its probably 40 years since i last did a day without a drink, my bad i know. But I'm worried how my body will react to total abstinence for 15 nights. I know I can get a liter in from duty free. But as a heavy beer drinker, that wont cut it. 

Has anyone got any experience of any of the ASQ hotels allowing purchase of beer ? Im willing to pay over the odds and I know that generally does the trick, but is that the case now ? Or am I due a heavy case of the DT's ?

The no alcohol rule is imposed by the government. I believe it exists because there is a perception that someone who has been drinking is liable to flout other quarantine rules. While that might not be true in your case, you will not find a hotel admitting in writing that they will aid you in circumventing the rules. There are two circumstances that just might allow you to be plied with alcohol:

• A medical letter from your doctor back home to the effect that you have an alcohol dependency, and going cold turkey would carry serious health risks. Contact with the hospital that is the partner of your intended ASQ, armed with this letter, to see if they will prescribe you alcohol under those circumstances.
  • On arrival at the ASQ, you might find staff who can be bribed to help you.

It is very possible that neither approach will be successful, but you can try.

Drink plenty of water, the results might surprise you.

I abstain from alcohol during weekdays, only drink on the weekend. I'd suggest you first try one day without alcohol, then extend day by day. Regard it as a training exercise.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

The no alcohol rule is imposed by the government. I believe it exists because there is a perception that someone who has been drinking is liable to flout other quarantine rules. While that might not be true in your case, you will not find a hotel admitting in writing that they will aid you in circumventing the rules. There are two circumstances that just might allow you to be plied with alcohol:

• A medical letter from your doctor back home to the effect that you have an alcohol dependency, and going cold turkey would carry serious health risks. Contact with the hospital that is the partner of your intended ASQ, armed with this letter, to see if they will prescribe you alcohol under those circumstances.
  • On arrival at the ASQ, you might find staff who can be bribed to help you.

It is very possible that neither approach will be successful, but you can try.

I have an old friend who is recovered alcho and career is staff/counseling at a "posh" rehab center in Utah.

Rare but it can be extremely dangerous to go cold-turkey except under medical supervision.

Most likely anxiety and sleep disturbance, what if body temp and blood pressure rise?

The OP needs to taper off if he does not know how his body will react. Drinking in ASQ would be a violation of Conditions of Entry you sign for and I wouldn't be surprised if caught if the offending Farang is not taken back to the airport and sent home.

Do a trial detox in the comfort and safety of your home country.  If you do suffer from DT's don't get on the plane. 

If you decide to get on the plane anyway, make sure your insurance is paid up if you need to be rushed to a hospital for emergency treatment.  Make sure it covers mental health issues.

Hopefully, you'll be able to stock up at Duty Free to tide you over until you can find someone to bribe for your daily toddies.  I wouldn't expect too much mileage out of a doctor's note saying you're dependent.  That's more likely to put you outside of the very limited target demographic for allowing foreigners in just now.

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

Do a trial detox in the comfort and safety of your home country.  If you do suffer from DT's don't get on the plane. 

If you decide to get on the plane anyway, make sure your insurance is paid up if you need to be rushed to a hospital for emergency treatment.  Make sure it covers mental health issues.

Hopefully, you'll be able to stock up at Duty Free to tide you over until you can find someone to bribe for your daily toddies.  I wouldn't expect too much mileage out of a doctor's note saying you're dependent.  That's more likely to put you outside of the very limited target demographic for allowing foreigners in just now.

Very rarely does travel insurance cover mental health or pre-existing illness which alcoholism would be considered. 

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

No idea why anyone would pay a fortune to get banged up for 15 nights and get treated like a child at the same time by what amounts to a bunch of uniform wearing knuckle draggers rules and ridiculous regulations ????

To get back into Thailand, is the answer to your off topic question. 

20 minutes ago, impulse said:

• Isn't drug dependence and alcoholism a violation for some visa types? Chance of a Thai doctor or ASQ Hospital signing off on a quarantine with nightly cocktails is zero. 

I spoke with a guy from Germany yesterday who just completed 2 weeks quarantine in Bangkok.

He said they did a cursory search of his belongings and he was specifically told no alcohol allowed.

It makes sense as drunks make stupid decisions like maybe deciding to sneak out at night and wander around the complex or try to take a swim.

Maybe a good opportunity for some to dry out and give the body a break.

8 hours ago, Oldterrier said:

Its probably 40 years since i last did a day without a drink, my bad i know. But I'm worried how my body will react to total abstinence for 15 nights. I know I can get a liter in from duty free. But as a heavy beer drinker, that wont cut it. 

Has anyone got any experience of any of the ASQ hotels allowing purchase of beer ? Im willing to pay over the odds and I know that generally does the trick, but is that the case now ? Or am I due a heavy case of the DT's ?

If you're worrying about the DTs, which can be life threatening, then you'd be much better off going into rehab in your home country, under proper medical supervision, before you travel to Thailand. Or, wait for Covid and quarantine rules to blow over.

As others have said, insurance likely won't cover you for any pre-existing or self inflicted condition. Getting seriously ill in Thailand is something that you should obviously avoid. 

Talk to your doctor. 

It could actually be a serious issue for functioning alcoholics, guys that are alcoholics but hold down a job etc.

I had an uncle years ago that was such an alcoholic, he broke a leg and ended up in hospital, DTs and very sick. The doctor actually sent the nurse down the road to buy a bottle of whisky and they rationed him a couple of nips a day.

Currently on the home stretch in ASQ. My bags were not searched checking in to the hotel.

When checking in I did ask reception and then the porter if they could get a 6 pack from 711 to have with dinner.

Firm NO, quoting Gov regs.

You never get to meet staff once you are locked up, so no chance to negotiate a way around this.

Calling reception to order tobacco from 711 is no problem, no chance for alcohol though.

Everything is run by the book, the hotels have a lot to lose for a breach like this.

Being back with my family after 8 months, especially for the holidays, is worth whatever price I personally have to pay.

They will nto let you have alcohol. You will be limited to whatever you were able to bring in with your luggage.

Your concerns are justified and you should get alcohol free before coming. For at least a week and symptom free. (If you have symptoms/problems in the first week then make it longer. Basically should have been alcohok free without symotioms for 7 days before you come. And do nto drink on the plane, it will set you back.

Quarantine can be stressful enough without alcohol withdrawal on top of it.

Definitely no alcohol in the ASQ, I am on my last day now and admit I like a drink, but I am glad I did not bring any (Most do not check your bags so duty free would be fine) however being isolated is bad enough without a drink, the first few days were bad and my sleep was affected but I feel fine. I would also advise against being drunk / DT's once you land as the airport can be a bit daunting with all the checks especially if they mess your COE up as has happened to a few people, they have you waiting a while, while they re-input your details in the system, certainly no place to get the horrors. 2 weeks off the sauce will do you good. Good luck.

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It makes sense as drunks make stupid decisions like maybe deciding to sneak out at night and wander around the complex or try to take a swim.

Most of the 195 countries on this planet would disagree with your interpretation, however when we talk about totalitarian military dictatorships, it's a different story.

21 hours ago, dbrenn said:

If you're worrying about the DTs, which can be life threatening, then you'd be much better off going into rehab in your home country, under proper medical supervision, before you travel to Thailand. Or, wait for Covid and quarantine rules to blow over.

As others have said, insurance likely won't cover you for any pre-existing or self inflicted condition. Getting seriously ill in Thailand is something that you should obviously avoid. 

Talk to your doctor. 

Or, can you wait until many people are vaccinated and countries reduce/cancel the current entry restriction for folks who show an accepted vaccination certificate. When, of course is still wait and see.

However as soon as possible I suspect the airline, the travel, hotel, hospitality industries will be applying a lot of pressure for change based on vaccination proof.

14 hours ago, lkv said:

Most of the 195 countries on this planet would disagree with your interpretation, however when we talk about totalitarian military dictatorships, it's a different story.

I think logical people know that allowing alcohol in a quarantine zone where people are under stress and wanting to go out is foolish. There are too many people who can't control themselves when drinking. Its asking for trouble. Sure many people can handle it but there is also a large number that cannot. So why risk it. 

I think its hard for you to deny that there are enough violent and stupid drunks. Combine that with forced quarantine and you get an explosive situation.

Its too bad that the lowest denominator sets the laws but that is unfortunately the only way. It spoils it for those who can drink and behave. But that is the way of the world happens everywhere.

i agree that the odds you’ll be able to get alcohol after check-in/while in ASQ - be that from an outside vendor/delivery or other means -  will very low to zero... that said, it appears from reports that most individual hotels don’t do an extensive check of you or your baggage/hand carry - but it’s not unheard of for the hotel to do so; mine did a check, but it was mostly of my hand carry and a quick visual check of my boxes at check-in time...   So, i don’t know that I’d count on that option (bringing it via your checked/cabin bags) as being a sure thing... but i’d say that route might be your highest odds.

I went to GP about 3 months ago because I was hitting the booze too hard since being trapped here waiting to go back to Thailand. The GP recommended that I stay drinking every day but try and drink a little less every day until you can have a day without having any sickness/withdrawals (would feel so sick I had to have a drink to make me feel better)

Worked fine and definitely would try to have at least 7 days off it before going into quarantine. GP made it quite clear that I could die if I tried to stop 'cold turkey'

A friend of mine was doing his 14 days and he had a female staff member take a pack of bottled drinking water and filled several of the bottles with vodka and repacked them to make it look un opened.  They delivered it with snacks and stuff.  Seems it worked fine for them, but not sure what they were risking by doing that.  

@ aussieexpat and his comment above,  

You're only allowed one liter if it's duty free (no tax).  You can bring in more if you pay the tax on it.  I have friends who bring in expensive wine and spirits and as long as they declare them and pay the tax they can bring in more than 1L.  

With all the hoops and stress to go through to get back to Thailand I can't believe people are suggesting to risk it all by asking ASQ staff to smuggle in alcohol. If caught it would be a massive press article and you'd be on the first plane out of Thailand and likely banned to re-enter for at least a year

Depends. When I cut down from daily drinking, mostly beer, now a few drinks twice a week, I liked to have a range of other drinks, teas coffees, juices sodas to replace it sort of. I got very used to it. Little stubby bottles of soda water with lemon juice squeezed in, were best. Now its a breeze, and the type 2 diabetes that caused me to do it has passed, and I do feel better. But I wouldn't preach to any one else either just as I dont preach to my mates about their drug and smoking habits, so I wish the OP luck. I know that at my worst moments one bottle of duty free wouldn't cover it, I would have had 3 or more in my checked bag and gone into a rationing system.

2 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

With all the hoops and stress to go through to get back to Thailand I can't believe people are suggesting to risk it all by asking ASQ staff to smuggle in alcohol. If caught it would be a massive press article and you'd be on the first plane out of Thailand and likely banned to re-enter for at least a year

Actually not too many were suggesting that, some were floating the idea, but I think it has been satisfactorily shot down.

2 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

Actually not too many were suggesting that, some were floating the idea, but I think it has been satisfactorily shot down.

Mate 4 posts up someone posted that it actually happened with ASQ staff filling water bottles with vodka, so hardly shot down

Archived