Poll suggests Thais are less concerned about Covid-19 - mask wearing down considerably

webfact

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The major issue with mask wearing is that everyone reuses the same masks for weeks. 

I have them in my car, motorbike bag, various shopping bags, sports bags, pockets of my shorts etc...  once its used, it gets put back in the same bag etc.

I’m aware that carrying old masks is not hygienic, I’m aware the reusable masks need to be washed each day - I know this yet I still carry all those masks around because the inconvenience of not having one and getting caught out and not being permitted entry into a building, 7-11, supermarket etc is a pain in the backside... 

So... Everyone is walking around using the same mask for weeks, effectively carrying around a little cloth petri-dish. 

You are complaining - okay. But why don't you stop to act like everyone else? I clean my mask every evening. 

Edited by Oldie

5 minutes ago, Oldie said:
31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The major issue with mask wearing is that everyone reuses the same masks for weeks. 

I have them in my car, motorbike bag, various shopping bags, sports bags, pockets of my shorts etc...  once its used, it gets put back in the same bag etc.

I’m aware that carrying old masks is not hygienic, I’m aware the reusable masks need to be washed each day - I know this yet I still carry all those masks around because the inconvenience of not having one and getting caught out and not being permitted entry into a building, 7-11, supermarket etc is a pain in the backside... 

So... Everyone is walking around using the same mask for weeks, effectively carrying around a little cloth petri-dish. 

Expand  

You are complaining - okay. But why don't you stop to act like everyone else? I clean my mask every evening. 

I don’t know anyone else who washes their mask every evening, I don’t know anyone who disposes of their disposable mask at the end of the day (except for medical personal). 

How many other folk on this forum use their disposable mask once before binning it, or uses a disposable mask once (i.e for one day) before washing it ?

My comments are not so much a complaint, more of an observation of a flaw related to wearing masks. 

So many are old, dirty, unwashed etc that they present greater risk. 

I’m ok with wearing a mask wherever required and happy to comply, but I am left wondering how hygienic they are when I often forget to change a mask or replace a disposable mask with a new one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t know anyone else who washes their mask every evening, I don’t know anyone who disposes of their disposable mask at the end of the day (except for medical personal). 

How many other folk on this forum use their disposable mask once before binning it, or uses a disposable mask once (i.e for one day) before washing it ?

My comments are not so much a complaint, more of an observation of a flaw related to wearing masks. 

So many are old, dirty, unwashed etc that they present greater risk. 

I’m ok with wearing a mask wherever required and happy to comply, but I am left wondering how hygienic they are when I often forget to change a mask or replace a disposable mask with a new one.

Now that disposable masks are  20Bht for a pack of 10 I have no problem  with binning one if I have worn it for significant amount of  time during a day. I do not wear a mask unless in a market or shop or any place where am in close proximity and that is only about  3 days in a week anyway.

But it is noticeable that there is  less consistency in mask use even in franchise outlets big and small.

• Like 2

My thoughts on the situation are that since the quoted per capita fatality rate in Thailand is 0.00008%, compared to 50% during the Black Plague in Europe (incidentally a proportional factor of 625,000 to 1) it would seen like a slight overreaction to wear a mask. However in years past most of us did not place much thought of being in the presence of someone who was coughing, sneezing, or a mini Niagara Falls gushing from their nose. Now I avoid such people and immediately head upwind.

• Like 1

In my area of Bangkok I’d say 90% of Thais are still wearing masks, but foreigners probably only 50%. I’m used to wearing a mask and I’ll carry on. The places I visit outside of Bangkok I agree that many fewer people are wearing them, but it’s been like that for quite a while.

1 hour ago, Katipo said:

Did it occur to you that it might be practices such as mask wearing that are the reasons there is no (or almost none) Covid in Thailand?

Wouldn't it be more sensible if people continued to take practical measures to prevent Covid spread, particularly if the country hopes to be opened up to Tourism?

Getting rid of mask, hand gels, and social distancing measures would likely mean that as soon as the country opens up, Covid infections will skyrocket, leading to another lockdown and the economic repercussions that the country can simply not cope with.

If wearing a mask means helping to save the economy and all those suffering from having their income completely cut off, then I'll do it.

But wearing masks hasnt saved the economy

I guess it depends where you live as it is different strokes for different folks . I was in the bank a few days ago wearing a mask and the mask broke on one side so I looked really stupid with 1 ear hooked and the other ear unhooked so the  bank girl came running over and gave me a new mask. How kind of the bank?

I still think we need to keep our guard up in certain areas.

I am seeing every day a familiar face appearing who has just finished quarantine.

Not difficult to imagine  them coming across an infected person arriving on their way out.

Nothing is totally foolproof but why undo all the good work for a non compliance denial

which is why the UK & USA are hurting.

Stubborn people with little brains

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1