Trump and 17 states back Texas bid to undo his election loss at Supreme Court

webfact

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Not really, I don't like either of them, but unlike most developed countries there are other people on the ballot box come elections time. I'd have voted for Richard Prior's None Of The Above

When I voted in Colorado last month there were 12 candidates running for president. I suspect Colorado was not unique.

How many candidates would you like to see? 

Either you are not American or you are ignorant of the American political process or both and  are attempting to make some obscure point. 

There is no 'None if the above ' choice but the voter can write a candidate in if they wish. If enough people did that in a given state that person would win that state's electoral votes. 

38 minutes ago, placnx said:

The irony of this: many of the Trump flock are evangelical "Christians", who should be caring for their fellow man (aside from blacks or hispanics, of course). They are also against science and wearing masks!

Jesus did not wear a mask according to the Bible. AND did you ever see a picture of Jesus with a mask on? No, of course not. So there! Your argument falls apart completely. ???? 

Well, except for the science and bigotry claims. Those are true. 

Even though you were correct on three of your four points I still claim TOTAL victory and will not concede. Everybody knows I won too. 

Edited by RocketDog
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, placnx said:

Ironically, now illegal immigrants are counted in the Census, so that states with big populations of them get more Representatives in Congress, thus more Electors as well.

Actually illegal immigrants always got counted in the census. And in the latest dustup over the count, even Judge Barrett seemed to side with having it continue that way.

Edited by placeholder

1 hour ago, placnx said:

I wonder whether the Founding Fathers ever imagined such an imbalance as Wyoming, population 578K, versus California 39512K!! Yet both get two senators. It also why Mitch McConnell could obstruct Obama for 8 years.

And it's going to get much worse.  In twenty years half of the population will live in eight states at which point the popular vote will become entirely meaningless.

While the Framers likely didn't foresee that specific result, the very purpose of the Constitution was to ensure that the slave states would have excess, undemocratic power in the legislature, by the Three-Fifths Compromise that gave the South excess representation in the House and by the structure of the Senate which gave excess power to the small, i.e. "slave," states.  The problem that remained was to translate the excess representation of the slave states in the Congress to the selection of the president which they ensured by the simple expedient of counting the Senate seats and House seats together to compose the electoral votes.  

And the system worked wonderfully well.  Until Lincoln's election all the presidents were slave owners, excepting only the two Adamses from Massachusetts.  

Add to that the fact that the Constitution will never be amended again, because achieving the trifecta of super-majorities in the House, the Senate, and the states is impossible in the current polarized political climate.  The only solution is a new constitutional convention to write a new constitution from the ground up.

Another fatal problem with the Texas lawsuit. Texas is asking the Supreme Court to delay the reporting of the vote to Congress for only 4 states. The Constitution specifies that while Congress gets to set the reporting date, the date has to be uniform for all the states. So the request by Texas is clearly unconstitutional.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

When I voted in Colorado last month there were 12 candidates running for president. I suspect Colorado was not unique.

How many candidates would you like to see? 

Either you are not American or you are ignorant of the American political process or both and  are attempting to make some obscure point. 

There is no 'None if the above ' choice but the voter can write a candidate in if they wish. If enough people did that in a given state that person would win that state's electoral votes. 

not really.  you're permitted to write in anything you wish, but i believe (google will give you an exact number) most states simply discard the write ins.

as to other candidates, they are generally wasted votes.  the uniparty controls access and has the power.  voting for a third party will definitely NOT result in a win for that candidate, however it might drain off support from one of the two uniparty swamp creatures, such that the greater of the two evils wins.

6 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

not really.  you're permitted to write in anything you wish, but i believe (google will give you an exact number) most states simply discard the write ins.

as to other candidates, they are generally wasted votes.  the uniparty controls access and has the power.  voting for a third party will definitely NOT result in a win for that candidate, however it might drain off support from one of the two uniparty swamp creatures, such that the greater of the two evils wins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write-in_candidate

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Actually illegal immigrants always got counted in the census. And in the latest dustup over the count, even Judge Barrett seemed to side with having it continue that way.

sure, they were counted.  there was a question on the full census forms from the late 1800's until 1950.  after that until 2000, 80% received a short form without the citizenship question, the other 20% were asked 'bout citizenship on the long form.

all sorts of questions on the census....i 'member back in 1970, they asked us how many bathrooms we had.

Edited by ChouDoufu

18 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Not so , a good percentage of Republicans accept that Biden won fairly. They are not all prepared to support sedition and trash democracy !

So "a good percentage" of banana republicans are not completely insane.  I feel so relieved .  ????

Edited by shdmn

Republicans are really shameless cheaters!

"The Arizona Republican Party has asked its followers if they are willing to die for the cause of overturning the presidential election results, eliciting alarm and criticism from within and outside the GOP."

https://azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/12/08/arizona-republican-party-asks-if-followers-die-election-president-donald-trump/6488952002/

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I really have no clue about American ballot papers really, BUT, it seems pretty obvious that no 3rd party appears to winning any seats. You could have 100 parties with no chance against the 'big 2' - that is more my point.

Least in the UK we have at least some non-big 2 on the ballot that win and create the occasional coalitional government  - can you please name me one president of the non big 2 since 1853 or the last coalition government in the last 100 years ? US politics to me seems stale.

50 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I really have no clue about American ballot papers really, BUT, it seems pretty obvious that no 3rd party appears to winning any seats. You could have 100 parties with no chance against the 'big 2' - that is more my point.

Least in the UK we have at least some non-big 2 on the ballot that win and create the occasional coalitional government  - can you please name me one president of the non big 2 since 1853 or the last coalition government in the last 100 years ? US politics to me seems stale.

It is possible for independents and members of other than the Democratic or Republican parties to be elected to Congress and it sometimes happens, however there has not been a significant number outside of the big two parties in some time.  It seems that elections are so long and expensive in the US that it's difficult for small parties to gain any kind of traction.  Unfortunately this is unlikely to change; change would require keeping big money out of politics, and I don't see that happening.

How ridiculous. You can smell the desperation all the way to Thailand.

Trump’s last-ditch effort to steal the election is the biggest farce of all

“We will be INTERVENING in the Texas (plus many other states) case. This is the big one. Our Country needs a victory!” tweeted the soon-to-be-ex-president of the United States.

Opinion | George Conway: Trump's last-ditch effort to steal the election is the biggest farce of all - The Washington Post

The Trump team throws in the towel on proving voter fraud

The GOP’s latest effort to overturn the 2020 presidential election results, like many such efforts before it, is a bit of a mess.

The lawsuit, which was filed by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) and is now joined by the Trump campaign and 17 other Republican attorneys general, wrongly claims that no presidential candidate has lost both Florida and Ohio and won the presidency. (This would be news to John F. Kennedy.)

The Trump team throws in the towel on proving voter fraud - The Washington Post

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 2:23 PM, Jingthing said:

Remember that 1 in 1 quadrillion claim?

Trump’s effort to steal the election comes down to some utterly ridiculous statistical claims

The lawsuit’s statistical case comes down to this question: How many zeros will it take for you to be sufficiently impressed that you’ll ignore basic logic? The author of the lawsuit appears to have settled on the number 15.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/12/10/trump-team-throws-towel-proving-voter-fraud/

• Thanks 1

The postal ballots and mail-in votes are always risky,  shouldn't be allowed .Of course,  in such  voting  system   a fraud is possible and highly likely to happen. There is a bitter division in the US, like there are two Americas and two tribes turned against each other. The two tribes have different cultural values , based on different ethnicity and race. Now they are grouping and digging in. In the first place this situation has  been created by the anti-Trump tribe which couldn't accept he was duly elected in 2016, and his presidency has been sabotaged  relentlessly. Now, the media declared  winner in 2020 elections , who is not yet confirmed as an elected president, may also not be accepted  and approved by the opposing party , the supporters of president Trump.  What goes round, comes round

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, looking on the bright side said:

The postal ballots and mail-in votes are always risky,  shouldn't be allowed .Of course,  in such  voting  system   a fraud is possible and highly likely to happen. There is a bitter division in the US, like there are two Americas and two tribes turned against each other. The two tribes have different cultural values , based on different ethnicity and race. Now they are grouping and digging in. In the first place this situation has  been created by the anti-Trump tribe which couldn't accept he was duly elected in 2016, and his presidency has been sabotaged  relentlessly. Now, the media declared  winner in 2020 elections , who is not yet confirmed as an elected president, may also not be accepted  and approved by the opposing party , the supporters of president Trump.  What goes round, comes round

Yes, the opposition couldn't accept that he was duly elected which is why they filed over 50 lawsuits and lost all but one of them. And made ridiculous false claims supposedly based on statistics. And repeated all sorts of easily disprovable lies.Oh wait, that was Trump and his supporters. Your assertion blaming the opposition for the current situation is just another version of "The Devil made me do it."

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

This is patently untrue.  You're parroting the words of Trump.  And since Trump is a pathological liar, you're simply repeating his lies.  Surely you know that repeating lies over and over again doesn't change the fact that they're still lies. 

I think soon we'll be hearing some variation of "I don't like Trump but..."

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, looking on the bright side said:

I can like who I want,  you can like Biden, I can like Trump. Why are you so nervous? I don't mind you like Biden. Yes, the anti-Trump group has started to divide in 2016. Just look how you react at my viewpoint,  attacked  in a few seconds. That is what I am talking about. And communists are like that too. 

No one's quarreling about who you can like. But first you clearly asserted that the opposition to Trump is the reason for the present situation and then you denied you had asserted that but only that 2 different Americas had turned against each other. And I don't know on what basis you make allegations about my emotional condition. Possibly you're projecting?