Building a good kitchen

Saraburi121

This may not fit into the DIY forum but figured folks on here would maybe have some good suggestions.  House is mostly finished and we are cooking in a makeshift sort of kitchen, it works but looking for a kitchen you enjoy cooking in. We saved this last to finish because we wanted to do it right.  Looked at the HomePro and a few other places and just seemed expensive for the quality you were getting. Went to Ikea and laid out a kitchen and again for the money the quality was not there IMO.   Money is not the issue, its finding someone who knows how to help us layout and build the kitchen we want. Tried finding someone around local to do but no luck.  We have been looking for someone/company/contractor to come in and help us design and build our kitchen to no avail.  We spend a lot of time in the kitchen and enjoy it. Live in Saraburi province about 45 kilometers northeast of Pak Chong, Nakhon Ratchasima. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. 

31 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

Can't recommend anybody but if you provide the dimensions I can suggest where everything should go. As for cabinets you should look for a builder and do it out of concrete for the lower cabinets with the Plastic insert doors and drawers. The upper cabinets get standard cabinets.

Much appreciated for the offer of assistance!  I may take you up on it. 

10 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I used Kvik Kitchens from Bangkok. Their prices were quite good compared with other Thai companies and their service was great at all stages - they even fitted and fully connected a sink that I didn't buy from them and didn't ask them to fit. There are several stores throughout Thailand - I used the Thonglor branch. They offer a full design and fit service and were happy to fit the kitchen at my home in Khao Yai/Pak Chong.

https://www.kvik.co.th/

20181006_142505.jpg

Will take a look at them, appreciate the assist.

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

I bought doors and drawers from Global House, and build a kitchen with q-con block. No termites

image.jpeg.72949d6811eaf5971b656a9bf3b848ff.jpeg

image.jpeg.5d68e90c45856f61f0ac598e893e4e49.jpeg

Beautiful kitchen.  Did you put hot water for your dish sink?  If so what type of unit did you use to heat water?

4 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

Beautiful kitchen.  Did you put hot water for your dish sink?  If so what type of unit did you use to heat water?

There is a 6000W Mex heater under the sink, but I never use it.

I have a well with in-ground water tank, and the water is never cold.

I also think it's the dishwashing soap that kills the bacteria, and not the hot water

Since you have apparently already built without kitchen design, you might be limited.  As another poster said, if you provide current layout, you will probably get good ideas.  Like others, I have designed myself and used cabinets from Global and Index to form it out.  If your wife is like mine, you will want another kitchen in a covered area outside the inside kitchen.  ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

There is a 6000W Mex heater under the sink, but I never use it.

I have a well with in-ground water tank, and the water is never cold.

I also think it's the dishwashing soap that kills the bacteria, and not the hot water

We have filters on our well water with two above ground tanks on the west side of the house that gets sun.  Most of the time here there are only a few weeks out of the year that it gets dog shivering cold.  Have lived here over two years and never used hot water to wash dishes. Was debating putting in a water heater in the kitchen. 

5 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

We have filters on our well water with two above ground tanks on the west side of the house that gets sun.  Most of the time here there are only a few weeks out of the year that it gets dog shivering cold.  Have lived here over two years and never used hot water to wash dishes. Was debating putting in a water heater in the kitchen. 

In my opinion no need for water heater, especially if you have storage tanks.

I have 6 heaters here, for kitchen and bathrooms, I have never switched on any of them in the past 8 years lol.

In fact, for the past 7 years, I use an outdoor shower 365 days a year

50 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Since you have apparently already built without kitchen design, you might be limited.  As another poster said, if you provide current layout, you will probably get good ideas.  Like others, I have designed myself and used cabinets from Global and Index to form it out.  If your wife is like mine, you will want another kitchen in a covered area outside the inside kitchen.  ????

When the wife and I met she had the house under roof with no finishing but interior walls so it is kind of a jigsaw puzzle, a very challenging jigsaw puzzle.  We kept the kitchen with no permanent fixtures except basic electrical outlets so we could easily change later.  We built a project every time we came home when we worked away but after we retirement and living here full time here we want to find a permanent solution. My suggestion was as yours, have another kitchen in a covered area outside the kitchen which the original design does not allow. 

Need to provide the layout of the kitchen to the folks on here to give a better idea.  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

When the wife and I met she had the house under roof with no finishing but interior walls so it is kind of a jigsaw puzzle, a very challenging jigsaw puzzle.  We kept the kitchen with no permanent fixtures except basic electrical outlets so we could easily change later.  We built a project every time we came home when we worked away but after we retirement and living here full time here we want to find a permanent solution. My suggestion was as yours, have another kitchen in a covered area outside the kitchen which the original design does not allow. 

Need to provide the layout of the kitchen to the folks on here to give a better idea.  Thanks!

You go to HomePro with your floor plan, and they make a design for you, then buy everything where it is cheaper lol

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Susco said:

You go to HomePro with your floor plan, and they make a design for you, then buy everything where it is cheaper lol

That is actually what we are doing now lol!  Found a place in the Mall in Korat, Nakhon Ratchasima that had some decent products.  Paying them 1500 baht to come down to do some planning next week but no expectations.  I figure paying 1500 baht may save money in the long run.  Had lots of good feedback on this forum thus far.  

We are in the middle of our indoor kitchen build. I also decided that the quality of purchased kitchens did not come close to matching the prices. Our kitchen may approach the final cost of a store bought one but the quality is already far higher.

I am currently fitting out the boxes. The advantages of this approach is that we have a working kitchen and all boxes can be customised as desired. The disadvantage is that it isn’t fast.

SWMBO has an outdoor kitchen for Thai cooking and messy stuff, so the slow approach isn’t a huge problem.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

19 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I used Kvik Kitchens from Bangkok. Their prices were quite good compared with other Thai companies and their service was great at all stages - they even fitted and fully connected a sink that I didn't buy from them and didn't ask them to fit. There are several stores throughout Thailand - I used the Thonglor branch. They offer a full design and fit service and were happy to fit the kitchen at my home in Khao Yai/Pak Chong.

I just had a look at their website. It seems they offer hundreds of options. Lots of inspiration - even if you don't buy from them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

20181006_142505.jpg

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just had a look at their website. It seems they offer hundreds of options. Lots of inspiration - even if you don't buy from them.

I also have a kvik kitchen, also from thong lor branch.

They are competent and good at what they do.

They had a 30% covid discount on everything except appliances earlier this year, not sure if they still do but might be worth haggling. 

They seem to have a 25% discount right now - just checked.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I also have a kvik kitchen, also from thong lor branch.

They are competent and good at what they do.

They had a 30% covid discount on everything except appliances earlier this year, not sure if they still do but might be worth haggling. 

They seem to have a 25% discount right now - just checked.

Will give them a call and see what they have to offer and if they provide service  in my area. Thanks!

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

They actually offer a lot more options now than they did when I bought mine. I went for a fairly basic option to fit with budget and remain in keeping with a fairly modest house.  Its very easy to get carried away and end up with something that is far excess of what is actually required.  A friend in the UK recently renovated a terraced house and spent nearly £10,000 on the kitchen and its only small - it looks wonderful but its way OTT and looks completely out of place.

I looked at several options at other showrooms and the one thing that surprised me was the cost.  I think what I paid for my kitchen was about the same as it would cost in the UK, maybe a little more. Still, you only do this once (hopefully).

13 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

They actually offer a lot more options now than they did when I bought mine. I went for a fairly basic option to fit with budget and remain in keeping with a fairly modest house.  Its very easy to get carried away and end up with something that is far excess of what is actually required.  A friend in the UK recently renovated a terraced house and spent nearly £10,000 on the kitchen and its only small - it looks wonderful but its way OTT and looks completely out of place.

I looked at several options at other showrooms and the one thing that surprised me was the cost.  I think what I paid for my kitchen was about the same as it would cost in the UK, maybe a little more. Still, you only do this once (hopefully).

I will give them a call tomorrow and thanks for the feedback!  We spend a lot of time in the kitchen and want to do it right and build it to  last. I looked at a lot of the kitchens here and the cabinets are very flimsy and not made to stand up to years of use. I have been amazed at the cost of kitchen items as well.   Figure I will price out what we want from the companies and see what makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Saraburi121 said:

I looked at a lot of the kitchens here and the cabinets are very flimsy and not made to stand up to years of use.

Yes, I saw some poor quality ones.  However, remember that to a joiner for example, most modern kitchens will look like rubbish - dovetail joints and real wood are things of the past.

There are differing degrees of rubbish though. I have a rental property in a nearby city in the UK, when I renovated it I stupidly got taken in by a promotion from a famous national kitchen supplier - 9 years later I'm considering replacing it.

However, the kitchen I fitted to my UK home is absolutely fine 13 years later - but it cost twice what the one in the rental property did.

Drawer fronts and runners are favourites for falling apart - look closely at how they are built but don't expect any 'dovetails' though ????.

That said, I know a joiner who built his own kitchen using real wood - he says never again.  Wood moves and cracks - especially in a situation where the temperature varies a lot.  Good old MDF has its uses.

• Like 1

Just now, jvs said:

A poin  many people seem to overlook,do not make your overhead

cabinets too  high!

Thai women usually are short and you will find them standing on the counter to get stuff!

There needs to be adequate space to work in for you too - I bought my wife a step-up, 300 baht, she's happy.

• Haha 1