Pattaya: Accident in thick fog - devastating pictures as man survives collision with truck

webfact

Pattaya: Accident in thick fog - devastating pictures as man survives collision with truck

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

Huay Yai police and rescue services were called after a Nissan Tiida piled into the back of an 18 wheel truck in heavy fog on Route 331 in the direction of Bowin in Khao Mai Kaew sub-district of Bang Lamung yesterday. 

Semiconscious behind the wheel of the Nissan was an unidentified man aged about 30. The rescue team soon had him cut out and on the way to hospital. 

7pm1.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

Pictures published by Sophon Cable TV showed the devastation to the front of his car.

A man called Kan, 39, went into the debris and came off his CB 150 R motorcycle but was not badly hurt.

Also at the scene was Apilak, 31, the driver of the Hino 18 wheeler.

He said there was thick fog and seeing no traffic he cautiously did a U-turn heading for Bowin before the car travelling at high speed went into his rear. 

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-05

I know a falang  who can't slow down.

Rain or fog, he's compelled to pass the cars around him.   He hates to follow anyone.

He thinks potholes cause flat tires without realizing he goes over them at 140 KPH.    He'll never learn because he believes he's special.

Edited by Andy from Kent
  • Sad 4

Very lucky not to be dead. Will he accept it was his own fault? Probably not. I see so many risky driving situations when here or in the UK and it seems drivers have no comprehension of the possible results.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

he cautiously did a U-turn heading for Bowin before the car travelling at high speed went into his rear. 

That last sentence just sums it up nicely I'm afraid, "Travelling at high speed" when will these Muppets ever learn? slow the <deleted> down !!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Highway 331 was known as the highway of death when it was still 2 lanes,for 2 reasons lots of fatal accidents and highway robberies.Maybe the widening to 4 lanes hasn't been able to lift the curse on this jinxed thoroughfare. 

I thought that was Hwy 36? Heck the whole network can be christened similarly. 

• Like 2

From the pics you can't call that heavy fog, where I'm from in central Ca we have tullie fog. You follow the fog line because it's often hard to follow the road. I'd bet the accident would have happened here on a clear day as well.

12 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

I don’t think you’d have to be that fast to be honest. These old trucks don’t have a guardrail at the back end, so the lower end of the flatbed will act like a razor. 80 kilometers per hour would do the trick just fine, considering the fact that the truck was most likely almost at a standstill. Just have a look at official crash tests posted on YouTube that are done at a speed of 50 or 60 km/h. The cars don’t look much better.

I can agree with your comment regarding the trucks, they are a danger in themselves with no guards, however, if it was thick fog then, (and this is only my opinion), even 80 is too fast,

It's really difficult trying to explain to Thai's about driving in different conditions and how you have to adapt, When my wife was first learning to drive there is lots of things they dont teach, She took to it very well but there was lots of things I had to teach her like driving in the rain especially after a long hot spell, the road becomes like a skating rink,

Try telling a Thai the breaks dont work the same in torrential rain like we get some times down here in Phuket, 

How important is it to know about "Stopping Distance"? very I would say

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

I can agree with your comment regarding the trucks, they are a danger in themselves with no guards, however, if it was thick fog then, (and this is only my opinion), even 80 is too fast,

I agree, but even at 50 he probably wouldn’t have made it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Try telling a Thai the breaks dont work the same in torrential rain like we get some times down here in Phuket, 

well, nobody here really speaks fluent Thai......  brakes on a car....  torrential..... and maybe there are 2/75000000 Thais who are reading this.   BUT just in case they are getting their information here:

rain after noon is fine.  rain before 7 a.m. means good fishing.  rain after 1 p.m. means top speed....rain at night is good luck for lottery if you drive 100 kph to 711....and rain all day means try to drive through standing water (water lots lots) while standing on the hood...

we are all just typing for our own entertainment.  

Edited by Ventenio

Speed kills or maims.  Of all the sins visible on Thai roads, it is the easiest to curb; IF there was a police force! 

CCTV = radar traps.  A simple knock on the door - car confiscated for 3, 6 then forever.  Job done.  Even Thais can be taught.

• Like 1

Just now, mikebell said:

Speed kills or maims.  Of all the sins visible on Thai roads, it is the easiest to curb; IF there was a police force! 

CCTV = radar traps.  A simple knock on the door - car confiscated for 3, 6 then forever.  Job done.  Even Thais can be taught.

Please remind me never to vote for you!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mikebell said:

You don't get a vote here unless you are rich, in the police or army.  I am not allowed to stand as I am foreign, educated and unconnected to any mafia.

Off topic, but my wife is non of the above but she gets a vote.