Drivers license and car purchase

Suphawk

I know now I will need a residence certificate for both the drivers license and to purchase a new or used car. But I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask those who have done this before.

1. Can the same Residence certificate be used for both?

2. Which would you get first , the DL or the car?

11 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

if you NO d/l then how can you drive vehicle legally?????!!!!!!

I have a valid DL from my home country and an International driving permit, but I wish to get the Thai DL since I plan to stay in Thailand long term.

Just now, Suphawk said:

I have a valid DL from my home country and an International driving permit, but I wish to get the Thai DL since I plan to stay in Thailand long term.

Can't remember now, but there must be a time limit on relying on the home license and driving permit?

39 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I went DL then car....but regret having bought a car......living in Bangkok it is just a criminal waste of capital.......unless you absolutely need a car I would would rent as and when and get a return on your capital....all in I reckon the car must be costing me around 200,000 baht a year......depreciation, loss opportunity cost of capital, insurance, road tax, maintenance fees

It is why I sold off my Car just recently as it was rarely being driven.  Decided to rent one when needed for the longer trips.  Kept the XMax for the trips around town when needed and not using public transport or walking for exercise.  DL was first for both the Car and MC, but I needed to obtain COR's for all, one will not work as it states on the COR in Thai what it is for.  You however can do one application for all the COR's you need. This was done at MTT here in Bangkok.  Took two weeks to receive them in the mail at 200 baht per certificate, but they mailed them EMS

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

Can't remember now, but there must be a time limit on relying on the home license and driving permit?

A driver's license from home means nothing without an international driver's permit. Having both you're good to drive for 3 months.

Having recently upgraded from 2-5 year licenses and changed my address in green book within two days; DLT for issuing licences accepted CoR original and copy. To change address in a different office another copy was accepted. Note: This second copy had been stamped and signed (authorized) by license centre. Whether it would work when buying a vehicle to change registration, you would need to consult with your local area office.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is why I sold off my Car just recently as it was rarely being driven.  Decided to rent one when needed for the longer trips.  Kept the XMax for the trips around town when needed and not using public transport or walking for exercise.  DL was first for both the Car and MC, but I needed to obtain COR's for all, one will not work as it states on the COR in Thai what it is for.  You however can do one application for all the COR's you need.

Took a while for it to dawn on me for sure........what a criminal waste of money........arrgghh.

28 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

if you NO d/l then how can you drive vehicle legally?????!!!!!!

On our local Land Transport Office, you can often see people drive in to take the driver test, or drive home after failing one. Same goes for cars without plate numbers etc. Wasn't different in Bangkok either.

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

Took a while for it to dawn on me for sure........what a criminal waste of money...

I'm glad to be talking this out with everyone here. I think you just saved me a lot of money.

I had also been thinking after selling 2 cars back home to move here and how nice it is to be free of the expense of owning a vehicle. I was just thinking it would be nice to have when needed.

But after this discussion I'm thinking about just rentals. And now looking around , the rental prices are quiet reasonable. Whew major expense averted.

I do like the idea of having a small motorbike as an alternative.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suphawk said:

I'm glad to be talking this out with everyone here. I think you just saved me a lot of money.

I had also been thinking after selling 2 cars back home to move here and how nice it is to be free of the expense of owning a vehicle. I was just thinking it would be nice to have when needed.

But after this discussion I'm thinking about just rentals. And now looking around , the rental prices are quiet reasonable. Whew major expense averted.

Others might argue the other way....but I think you are doing the right thing....I am sat here with 1.7 million in an underground carpark doing nothing and it is killing me.

13 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Took a while for it to dawn on me for sure........what a criminal waste of money........arrgghh.

Yes I had the individual I sold the car to wire the funds to me and then repatriated the money back into some instruments where it would work for me instead of collecting dust...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Suphawk said:

We had a car when we lived in Bangkok. It's handy for the occasional big shopping, or when going places a bit out of town. With taxies being readily available, and not expensive, you've got options. Renting can be a bit costly if you do it often.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Suphawk said:

Just make sure you keep your head on a swivel as you ride.  I don't ride after dark for reasons unto my own, but my helmet has a cam on it and I have a camera for the bike as well that includes a rear camera above my license plate.  When I ride it is always, on and runs through the app on my cellular, which is in a holder on my handlebars, so I can see directly behind me as well.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

When I ride it is always, on and runs through the app on my cellular, which is in a holder on my handlebars, so I can see directly behind me as well.

Surely you should concentrate on where you are going? Not where you have been? Not much comfort when lying in hospital you may claim. "See it wasn't my fault"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Morch said:

On our local Land Transport Office, you can often see people drive in to take the driver test, or drive home after failing one. Same goes for cars without plate numbers etc. Wasn't different in Bangkok either.

how do you know THEY FAILED.....it is not announced at a DLT....or posred on social media!!!!

2 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

how do you know THEY FAILED.....it is not announced at a DLT....or posred on social media!!!!

You see the bits of paper handed out (or not) and everyone 'announces' how they did as they come back to the viewing gallery.....not rocket science.....although a 1000 baht will change the outcome of the test.

1 minute ago, tinca tinca said:

Because you stand in line waiting you turn for the practical test, and the guy crashes the other guy's car while at it. He is then seen driving the same car home. And that's one example. Also talking to people or listening in on conversations in the nearby canteen - people complain about the test being hard and that they failed then get in the pickup and next you meet them at Macro. That sort of thing.

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Surely you should concentrate on where you are going? Not where you have been? Not much comfort when lying in hospital you may claim. "See it wasn't my fault"

That's Hilarious.  The cams are running so you see what's coming at you from the rear when stopped and when riding it will capture the car hit you from behind while the camera in the front will also capture things occurring.  If I wanted to watch it like a TV I would just stay home and not ride.  Camera on the helmet records what I am seeing and looking at and with my head on a swivel as I ride and traverse traffic it shows what I see, or what I didn't see if I get hit.  Being safe does not just mean riding and only looking ahead, however, that's what most inexperienced riders do.  Been riding bikes of all sizes for over 30 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

You see the bits of paper handed out (or not) and everyone 'announces' how they did as they come back to the viewing gallery.....not rocket science.....although a 1000 baht will change the outcome of the test.

I NOT give a toss about anyone else, so long as i get mine.......

10 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

I NOT give a toss about anyone else, so long as i get mine.......

Well let's 'hope' one of those you don't give a toss about, who bought their license, doesn't kill you......

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1