Texas water shortages persist; 'fragile' power grid returns to life

rooster59

19 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I don’t think customers see it that way, I doubt they even consider supply reliability until the supply is cut.

The utility companies have been placed to n competition with each other, the competition is on price.

This inevitably drives cost cutting and ‘resilience’ is a big cost that can be cut until

something goes wrong.

The way to avoid this is to regulate resilience but the champions of a free market don’t like regulation.

The underlying problem is the idea that critical infrastructure upon which society and the economy depend should be run by commercial  companies for profit. 

Yes, thank you.  In the U.S. they tended to be highly regulated monopolies in their area of operation. Kind of a "cost plus" operation, which invited a lot of pork. Hey, if you are willing to sacrifice reliability in times of tornadoes, hurricanes and blizzards for a few bucks, so be it. Nowadays, it seems you need your own little generating plant in the back yard for outages, and that doesn't come cheap.

• Like 1

I am glad that a complete investigation of the power mess is happening. I do hope that lots of heads will roll and many people will be fired and maybe even fined for their involvement in this mess.  Hey Ted Cruz   you are included in this, since you left Texas for your own selfish excuse. Pretty sad actually. I wonder if Texas will get some connection to other nearby states for the possibility of this situation happening again>

Geezer

Some of the electricity bills people are facing are enormous.

$17,000 Electric Bill? A Deregulated Power Grid Leads To Wild Prices For Texans

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2021/02/20/17000-electric-bill-deregulated-power-grid-texas-griddy/?sh=282c807e58ba

Meanwhile Jerry Jones is making out like a bandit...

As Texas Freezes, Jerry Jones Does What He’s Always Done

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/19/jerry-jones-gas-company-jacks-prices-during-texas-power-crisis

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Some of the electricity bills people are facing are enormous.

$17,000 Electric Bill? A Deregulated Power Grid Leads To Wild Prices For Texans

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2021/02/20/17000-electric-bill-deregulated-power-grid-texas-griddy/?sh=282c807e58ba

Meanwhile Jerry Jones is making out like a bandit...

As Texas Freezes, Jerry Jones Does What He’s Always Done

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/19/jerry-jones-gas-company-jacks-prices-during-texas-power-crisis

Jerry Jones makes Donald Trump look like Albert Schweitzer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Yes, thank you.  In the U.S. they tended to be highly regulated monopolies in their area of operation. Kind of a "cost plus" operation, which invited a lot of pork. Hey, if you are willing to sacrifice reliability in times of tornadoes, hurricanes and blizzards for a few bucks, so be it. Nowadays, it seems you need your own little generating plant in the back yard for outages, and that doesn't come cheap.

I generate 1/2 my electricity with solar panels, and have 6 hours battery backup.

Back in the west I had oil fired central heating, but the pump was electric (no electric = no oil heating)

Cost was around 40kbht. 3kw generator costs another 7kbht.

Edited by BritManToo

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I don’t think customers see it that way, I doubt they even consider supply reliability until the supply is cut.

The utility companies have been placed to n competition with each other, the competition is on price.

This inevitably drives cost cutting and ‘resilience’ is a big cost that can be cut until

something goes wrong.

The way to avoid this is to regulate resilience but the champions of a free market don’t like regulation.

The underlying problem is the idea that critical infrastructure upon which society and the economy depend should be run by commercial  companies for profit. 

"The underlying problem is the idea that critical infrastructure upon which society and the economy depend should be run by commercial  companies for profit."

Totally agree with that.

About 10 years or so ago there was a similar problem, albeit on a smaller scale. At that point consumers made the choice to stick with cheaper electricity and accept some outages. The result is what happened now, and will happen again unless reliability and therefore prices are increased.

Edited by stevenl

Well, it's a good practice run for secession by Texas.  Only difference is that once they secede, they can't come running to Uncle Sam for money to fix their problem.  I wonder if this will make some secessionists reconsider their position.  Nah.  

What galls me the most about libertarianism and conservatism is this notion that government is unnecessary and is the enemy.  I think this event is proof positive that regulations and oversight is needed.  Of course no one wants to spend the extra money to prepare for a disaster like this.  But the sad reality is that you have to.  And sometimes the government needs to be the adult in the room and make rules to protect its citizens. 

• Like 2

This is what former mayor of Colorado City (TX) had to say about it on Facebook, and deleted it right away after he got heavily criticized:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/us/tim-boyd-mayor-colorado-city-texas.html

”The City and County, along with power providers or any other service owes you NOTHING!” he wrote.

“Sink or swim”.

And former governor Rick Perry basically said that Texans would rather die than have too many regulations.

Who votes these people into power? I mean, if people in the great state of Texas want things to change, they’re going to have to seriously think about who they vote for. Because this is (among other things) what over a decade of Republican government have brought you: power and oil and gas companies getting obscenely rich and ordinary people getting screwed over. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think there is a misconception among many on here that the US is one country.

In reality the United States is a federation of 50 sovereign States who choose to cede certain powers to Washington.

Texas is on the far extreme of that spectrum, so don't equate what Texan State Government does with the other 49 States and the Federal Government

I suspect you are a European, and if so, it's like saying what Sweden would do is the same as Greece!

Oh sure!  One  Us  Army. One President. One lie.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think there is a misconception among many on here that the US is one country.

In reality the United States is a federation of 50 sovereign States who choose to cede certain powers to Washington.

Texas is on the far extreme of that spectrum, so don't equate what Texan State Government does with the other 49 States and the Federal Government

I suspect you are a European, and if so, it's like saying what Sweden would do is the same as Greece!

Now if there had been a Civil War in the USA over that very issue of state sovereignty, then your assertion would be ridiculous. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what would happen if a state or states tries to secede from the Union.

You know exactly what I was trying to say that the 50 States of the US do and will pursue different strategies as they feel works for their State.

Texas did what they felt worked best for them, and they fell flat on their face.

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic comment removed
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Now you are just trying to be cute.

You know exactly what I was trying to say that the 50 States of the US do and will pursue different strategies as they feel works for their State.

Texas did what they felt worked best for them, and they fell flat on their face.

You could use the European analogy of Greece that pursued a fiscal policy that seemed good at the time, but equally fell flat on it's face

No, I don't know that. Your assertion about state sovereignty was often invoked by Trump supporters who asserted that a national plan against Covid was not possible because the Federal Govt. didn't have the authority. And, in fact, it's a staple of extreme right wing thinking.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

But that is a fact.

There are limits to what the Federal Government can impose on the States, nothing to do with right wing thinking, and I'm a bleeding heart liberal.

As proven by the massive failure with the pandemic, there are some things better done at the federal level. This may be one of those also?

8 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

As proven by the massive failure with the pandemic, there are some things better done at the federal level. This may be one of those also?

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, some things should be done at a national level.

But with the Federal system we have, States have the right to opt out. This current Texan nightmare, is simply because they chose to opt out Federal oversight by FERC and have a totally separate energy system overseen by the State alone.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but maybe some chickens came home to roost in this case.

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic comment removed
  • Like 2

Actually, it turns out that the power outage was not the fault of any Texans or Ercot:

Larry Kudlow Suggests Texas Power Outages 'Consequence' of Biden's Presidency

Larry Kudlow, a White House economics adviser under former President Donald Trump, suggested that President Joe Biden should be blamed for the widespread power outages from the winter storm that has devastated Texas.

In a Sunday interview with Fox News host Howard Kurtz, Kudlow criticized Biden for failing to deliver on his campaign promise of unity while appearing to attribute the Texas power outages to the president's allegedly progressive agenda.

https://www.newsweek.com/larry-kudlow-suggests-texas-power-outages-consequence-bidens-presidency-1570865

• Haha 2

If the Texas utility companies did not Winterise their power stations, and they froze up,

well fire all the guilty parties and charge them all huge fines.  Corrupt people have caused

so many others pain and ruined homes.  Of course some would go after Biden to say

that somehow he is the cause of their disaster.  How about, Cruz,  his great support sure

has helped, huh?

Geezer

• Like 1