Monkeys still forced to pick coconuts in Thailand despite controversy

webfact

Monkeys still forced to pick coconuts in Thailand despite controversy

Months after reports that Thailand coconut farmers rely on monkey labor, a new investigation shows little action has been taken.

BY RACHEL FOBAR

ng.jpg

Pig-tailed macaques are trained to climb trees and pick coconuts on farms throughout southern Thailand. When they’re not working, they’re often kept in chains.

Farmers in Thailand are still using monkey labor to supply coconuts to the international market, according to new information from the Asia branch of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). 

This comes about six months after the animal rights organization released findings from a 2019 undercover investigation. The report spurred coconut product companies, supermarket chains, and the Thai government to give assurances that monkeys would no longer be forced to harvest coconuts.

Thailand is the world’s third largest exporter of coconuts, after Indonesia and the Philippines, exporting more than 500,000 tons in 2019. The popularity of coconut milk as an alternative to dairy milk has grown steadily during the past five years, says Avinash Desamangalam, research manager at Mordor Intelligence, a company based in India that studies the market for alternatives to dairy products. He says the industry’s growth rate is expected to nearly double in the next five years.

Full story: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/monkey-labor-continues-in-thailands-coconut-market

ngl.jpg

-- © Copyright NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC 2021-02-22

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, webfact said:

The popularity of coconut milk as an alternative to dairy milk has grown steadily during the past five years, says Avinash Desamangalam, research manager at Mordor Intelligence, a company based in India that studies the market for alternatives to dairy products.

1) Good to see Sauron's keeping busy. I hope the pay and conditions for Avinash and the other orcs fulfill PETA's stringent standards.

2) It does sound like the monkeys are being abused quite badly. But I wonder if there are ways to train and look after the monkeys humanely, that could be developed if PETA worked with the coconut farmers, rather than destroying their livelihoods. People are animals too, after all...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Good point. I presume you are wanting to know if they are getting favorable treatment over foreign workers from Lao and Myanmar.

Of course they are...let's face it they work for actual peanuts 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

I don't understand this controversy at at all, are the monkeys being abused, overworked, starved maltreated or neglected in anyway shape of form? so what next? stop other farm animals from preforming their duties? theses are domesticated monkeys that have been trained to work, so it is ok to lock them up in small zoo cages for the rest of their lives and make money of them but it is wrong to send them up the tree to pick up a coconut?...

Fair point.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt they'll be caged. IMO more likely to be released in the jungle where they'll live short miserable lives and die because they are domesticated and don't know how to survive.

Happened to dogs in the past.

My misses says monkeys are very tasty in stew.

Which is a more likely scenario than being released into the jungle.

• Like 1

I wonder what will be targeted next.

Pack animals like mules, camels, yaks etc which are used in parts of the world where there are no viable alternative means of transport?

^Guide dogs for the blind, search and rescue dogs, police dogs, ^^^^sheepdogs?

^Racehorses?

I’m sure we can find loads more examples which are important to certain ways of life and economics.

18 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Plus dogs forced to lead blind people around.

Also don't get me started on horses forced to run and jump with people on their backs.

Yer --me too.....................Parrots forced to learn another Language.........:w00t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1