Thailand to cut quarantine for vaccinated foreigners to 7 days from April

Jonathan Fairfield

If you have had the vaccine and can show proof what’s the point of quarantine oh yes I forgot screw the tourists for as much money as possible is there not some type of charge on entry as well for tourists 300 baht rings a bell 

I’m wondering about the requirement for no more than 3 months since the vaccination took place?

I live in Singapore and as part of a government drive to vaccinate workers in key industries, I had my 2nd vaccination shot (Pfizer) in the middle of February and I also have to do fortnightly PCR tests on an ongoing basis.

On the basis of the proposed new (relaxed) quarantine arrangements, my vaccination will count for nothing after the middle of May.

What data is this decision based on or was it just plucked from somewhere?  I doubt whether the SG government will entertain my request for a booster shot 3 or 4 months after my 2nd shot, so for those of us who have been fortunate to get vaccinated early on, it will now prove to be a disadvantage.

Disappointing to say the least.

• Like 2

If your vaccination period is longer than 3 months, you can still visit Thailand

The proposals which will hopefully be issued on Monday will say

• Negative PCR for ALL arrivals
  • Vaccination less than 3 months = 7days quarantine
  • Vaccination over 3 months 10 day quarantine
  • NO vaccination 14 days 10 day quarantine

lets wait for Monday meeting

Edited by bolt
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, mickymouse1 said:

I thought they earlier said " no quarantine for vaccinated visitors" .

Now they said it is cut to 7 days?

How many days was the quarantine period for those who were not vaccinated and those VacD ????????????????

lets wait for Monday meeting

Quote:  "...Vaccinations must be administered within three months of the travel period..."

To Reuters:  The point above is not understood and is causing confusion. Does it mean:

- If the arrival date is more than 3 months after the vaccination has been completed (according to the policy of the vaccine developer) then that vaccination is not valid as a reason to claim a reduction in the quarantine time. Therefore the traveler would have to comply with the rules for travelers who have not had a vaccination? 

- Or, does it mean the traveler must wait for 3 months after the vaccination has been completed (according to the policy of the vaccine developer) then the traveler can claim the vaccination as a reason for reduction in quarantine time?

Many readers would appreciate complete clarity on this point, thank you.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2021 at 9:29 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Vaccinations must be administered within three months of the travel period and visitors will still be required to show negative COVID-19 test results within three days of their departure, Anutin Charnvirankul told a news conference.

Can this country get any more stupid, why would people need to have a vaccine within 3 months, 

Stupid again...people are not coming to be quarantined....and vaccinations administered within 3 months???,,,...what if you got vaxed 6 months ago...and its still good in you?...more fog and confussion

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Quote:  "...Vaccinations must be administered within three months of the travel period..."

To Reuters:  The point above is not understood and is causing confusion. Does it mean:

- If the arrival date is more than 3 months after the vaccination has been completed (according to the policy of the vaccine developer) then that vaccination is not valid as a reason to claim a reduction in the quarantine time. Therefore the traveler would have to comply with the rules for travelers who have not had a vaccination? 

- Or, does it mean the traveler must wait for 3 months after the vaccination has been completed (according to the policy of the vaccine developer) then the traveler can claim the vaccination as a reason for reduction in quarantine time?

Many readers would appreciate complete clarity on this point, thank you.

they have no idea and its another rule that makes no sense as you have pointed out...it can mean a number of things that they will interpert differently day to day

• Like 2

Stupid again...people are not coming to be quarantined....and vaccinations administered within 3 months???,,,...what if you got vaxed 6 months ago...and its still good in you?...more fog and confussion

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

There is a conflict of personal values here. While countries like the USA have a leaning to freedom and independence, Thai people are the opposite and prioritize their live over material goods. They will be OK, how many are on the streets here compared to the West?

I feel there is a selfish attitude here from some expats, criticizing Khun Anutin for not giving them enough respect and a pass to come and go as they like. 

From my experience Thais prioritise not abiding by rules over life which partly explains their appalling road death rate. When I've been in the local market My wife and I are the ones wearing a mask over our nose and mouth whilst most of the other Thais have them under the nose, under the mouth on the chin, under the chin or hanging off one ear.

I suspect one of the main reasons for the low rate of infection is the closing of borders although there are others.

The sometimes misguided pursuit of freedom and personal freedom even at the expense of others rights probably does have a negative affect in the USA as well as other countries.

• Like 1

I just got an email from Thai Embassy 

Dear

Glad to hear you have had a great time there

We are expecting the update about quarantine regulations from Thailand, hopefully, in April

Please find attached the checklist for travelling to Thailand, you can use the visa and the insurance that you've got in hand to apply for COE

You don't need to visit the embassy at all, however, you have to get COVID test and fit to fly before departure

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 4:35 PM, Big Yuley said:

rumour? or fact

not that it means anything to me.

australia still lock the people in until June

Anutin says many things. Only time will tell - and the Royal Gazette.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2021 at 6:58 PM, Big Yuley said:

yes aware of that but how many people have that luxury.

Well if you don't have that luxury maybe don't travel. Obviously.  There are many hoops to jump through regarding travel atm and many can't even seem to cop a couple weeks quarantine which is a doddle.

If you don't have the means the ability the time or the determination to travel during this pandemic you won't. For some of us it's almost business as usual except for more expensive flights and some annoying paperwork. 

20 hours ago, connda said:

They have killing their tourism industry down to a science.  Well, they should be happy that the Chinese actually want to come here.  I wonder what special deal the Chinese will get in their vaccination bubble agreement.  Until Thailand ditches the quarantines most people ain't coming regardless of the alternate reality TAT lives in.  

In the meantime?  Mexico is wide open with no restrictions on entry.  Want to go to a Mexican beach.
"Bienvenida gringo!!!"
Just saying.  Some countries facilitate the arrival of tourists and make it easy; other countries make it a pain in the butt to enter their country no less actually doing anything but sit in isolation and all for a hefty price tag.
"Ai farang nak tang tieow."

Which mindset is actually going to make money?

And which mindset is going to save larger portions of their population till things settle down? Bwahahaha Mexico? Outside of Americans obviously what portion of the regular portion of people that travel to Thailand are going to consider Mexico as a viable option? ????????????????

7 hours ago, worldview said:

Not sure I quite understand this - if I get vaccinated here in Thailand in, say, June - and then I go on a home leave to the USA October/November 2021, do I then need another jab before I come back to Thailand because I am not within the 3 month period of when I was vaccinated? - I guess we will wait for clarification, but as usual, the government seems to put these news flashes out without much fore-thought??

It’s very easy to schedule a COVID-19 test but you cannot schedule a vaccination shot you have to wait your turn

1 hour ago, bolt said:

Screenshot 2021-03-11 160037.png

Hotels are saying they’ve received no information on this so far and are thus continuing to take 14 (15) day quarantine bookings. 

Hopefully there will be greater confirmation soon. It seems this announcement was that the Public Health Ministry's national committee on communicable diseases resolved to reduce the quarantine period. 

They haven’t passed this yet - hopefully that is just a formality and a step in the right direction. 

Baby steps:  

- This month: quarantine 7 / 10 days (with / without vaccine and a Covid-19 negative test)

- Next Month: quarantine 3 / 7 days (with / without vaccine and a Covid-19 negative test)

- Following month quarantine 0 / 3 days (with / without vaccine and a Covid-19 negative test)

Would be nice.... just pie in they sky for now... 

4 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

It’s very easy to schedule a COVID-19 test but you cannot schedule a vaccination shot you have to wait your turn

Says who, Many people in the US have been showing up at the pharmacies such as Walgreens, CVS, and Rite aid.  Waiting in a que behind those there for their appointed time slot, and then getting a shot with any of the vaccines leftover that were taken out to be used, and would have to be disposed off since they had extra.  My sister just did this in Palm Springs.  She is only 48.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, flyingfox1 said:

I thought Thailand wanted tourists back งง makes no sense at all so you only gain 3 days less quarantine for getting vaccinated sorry but pathetic.

everyone's going to Grease and all the other countries that are lifting all restrictions to try get the world back to some normally.

Thailand has done really well during this pandemic in-fact amazing well but with the summer heat here and people arriving having been vaccinated AND doing the covid test before even getting on the plane... come on thailand time to lift those jail days for the vaccinated world and let the tourism’s devastated industry recover and rebuild better future for your country. 

Churchill inspired lol 

What are you talking about Greece has 7 day quarantine And Is in national lockdown 

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/greece-travel-covid-19/index.html

It's also on oz travel advisory as AVOID due to high covid levels 

No sane person running to Greece or Mexico or Brazil because of high probability of catching a death sentance 

Edited by madmen
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, rabang said:

I will probably go there if Thailand is not open.

Seven days is still about seven days too much for me.

Or actually, I have said I would never go to Thailand unless they drop the quarantine but in reality I could stay up to 3 days in quarantine as it usually takes a day or two to recover from the long flight and time difference, lack of sleep etc. but even that would require a decent hotel price and no rip-off insurance.

Mexico Why? You didn't do any research on death rates and daily covid infections right? 

It's quite staggering. Let us know if you make it back. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Mexico Why? You didn't do any research on death rates and daily covid infections right? 

It's quite staggering. Let us know if you make it back. 

It would be only later this year and if people are vaccinated what does it matter? Are you going to stay home for the rest of your life? Already many people are travelling to Mexico and making it out of there alive.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:29 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Vaccinations must be administered within three months of the travel period and visitors will still be required to show negative COVID-19 test results within three days of their departure, Anutin Charnvirankul told a news conference.

They change their minds all the time

I already lost my extension. So, if I want to come back in november I must not get vaccinated now... what a joke... Anyway, I will not come back as long as there is quarantine and COE.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2021 at 9:25 PM, bolt said:

how else do you create a document?

There are other ways to create a vaccine passport/certification.

Here in Australia all jabs (free) are instantly digitally recorded on the citizens Medicare* records. Airlines/check-in staff etc., can access the Medicare immunizations records of the traveler online and confirm they have received the vaccination. The citizen involved can also transfer their personal details to their smartphone and again airport check-in can use this to do an instant search for proof of vaccination. And the passenger can print the details and carry a paper copy.  

• (*Medicare Australia. Close to free full health care, similar to NHS in the UK.)

Edited by scorecard

From a clinical point of view, this is utter nonsense. People that have had a vaccine for one month (one shot or the second shot of the doubled ones) should be free to travel without any quarentine.  Full stop.

The other utter clinical nonsense are the "variants from Africa" . From where ??? If you said the Republic of South Africa, I certainly would agree. But Africa as a whole ? Better worry with the UK variant or the Brasilian one.

Do these guys have medical counsellors ???